IGNORED

Arouna Kone

11 goals in one season is not proven prem quality...lets go shit 5m on grant holt too...what's michael ricketts doin nowadays?

Danny Graham? He scored a bucket load in the prem.

Or what's the other one, Kevin Davies? Scored rucks for Bolton.

They were proven prem players ;)

I dont know how much either of you watched of Wigan and Kone but he also creates a lot of chances with his movement and his ability to link the play with his team mates. When you add that to the fact that he has a consistent goal scoring record throughout his career including in his first season in the Premiership where he was looking better as the season went on, unlike most one his wonders who score the majority of their goals in the first 6 months.

a quick look at stats he scored 1 goal in 40 for sevilla...the only club close to playing at the consistent level we have been for the last few years...sorry for not tugging away

I queried this before on here and it was because he was coming back from a severe injury (or 2!?) and mainly played as a sub behind a couple of other top strikers. He has scored consistently at every other club he has been at but dont worry about looking at the whole picture, just highlight the one stat that makes him look shit! You should be an MP.

Kone and Quality just don't fit well in a sentence. There's no 'quality' about him as a player.

People saying we're over reacting, I'm more conserned about the business side of the deal, it's shocking. There's little or no positive against this move.

Financially, it's awful. Potentially, even worse so. This is a big dent in our transfer kitty and one that we've not had for fucking years. And now we're spunking it on an 'at best' player.

Haf, you ALWAYS moan about the boards' "shortcomings"...about how often they think in the 'short term'. This deal, epitomises short term planning. You want the board to think long term and future investments, yet you're happy for hypocrisy in this instance???

Doesn't make sense mate.

Kone is better than you think Ten. He is a very good all round player and more importantly for my and probably Martinez' point of view is that he will bring out the best in the team. The business side of the deal is poor but if he scores and creates goals then he could be far more valuable to us then 5mil.

Comparing the bloke to Rickets jesus you may be pissed off but lay off it it's obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense that Kone is a far far better player!

Again £5m is not bad for a player who has potentially 10/15 goals a season in him, the big point people keep mentioning is sell on yes it would be great to buy a young player with potential who we could sell on in two or three years time but find be such a player for a low fee then add to that the risk that they may flop?

Just look at last season we lacked that killer instinct up front and we need a player that can come in and score goals, what if Jelavic duplicates his form from last season we would again struggle for goals and potentially drop vital points due to shite finishing as we did last season.

For all we know it could be on the drip with various clauses and so on and as we have no idea of how much we actually have to spend and what else is going on in terms of transfers behind the scenes let's just see how things unfold.

Well said.

Based on people's arguments on age it's a good job we didn't use such logic when signing Andy Gray, Beardsley, distin, paul power, Richard gough, David weir, Nigel martyn,....

Yep, all quality older signings.

No one's disputing older players can still have lots to offer or can be quality players. I'm sure Koné is a decent striker and if he scores 10+ goals this season and next, it will have been a "decent" signing. The problem is that we already have lots of older players, that all of them will need replacing between right now and 3 seasons from now and that we'll have no money to do so unless we sell players for big money as well.

For fucks sake people we haven't been able to buy a goal up front for a while, I've seen this lad a few times and he is GOOD! I'd go as far as saying I'd have him ahead of the likes of adebuyor, Bent and Defoe who if we signed some would be buzzing their tits off - he's a great mix of everything we need. Work rate, intelligence, link up play, pace, strength, he gave man city's defence head aches in the final, he worked his socks off.

We could just buy a yak for £10m and sell him for £1m if you like?

Beckford cost us nothing.

I know, I ment that we sold him for 4 mil. Looked it up now, it was 2.5 mil but still. The point stands. If Beckford was 25 and worth 2.5 mil after scoring 8 goals in PL. What is a reasonable value for Kone? I think it is closer to 5 mil than it is 3 mil. But I guess im fairly alone in thinking that?

People need to not just look at transfer fees...

Neville salary = £2.5m per year

Moyes salary = £4m per year

Investment appraisal on kone says yes it's not exactly the type of signing that will make the till ring on a couple of years but on the whole we operate a buy to sell policy.

....if he scores and creates goals then he could be far more valuable to us then 5mil.

That's the beginning and end of it for me (assuming the deal happens).

Be interesting to revisit this thread in six/ten months time (assuming the deal happens).

I've not seen enough of him to comment (assuming the deal happens).

Wibble.

People need to not just look at transfer fees...

Neville salary = £2.5m per year

Moyes salary = £4m per year

Investment appraisal on kone says yes it's not exactly the type of signing that will make the till ring on a couple of years but on the whole we operate a buy to sell policy.

Of course you should? It should be a considerable factor.

• Arouna Koné Annually Income: €5,76,000 (Euros)

Admittedly, it's Euros but still. That's his current wage.

So 'if' he lasts 3 years, tops.

That's £5m in 3 years + £6.5m transfer. 3 years he will cost us, the best part of £11.5m.

That's £5m in 3 years + £6.5m transfer. 3 years he will cost us, the best part of £11.5m.

Depending on whether you have the comma in the wrong place or are missing a "0" J (because 5,76,000 isn't a number) that puts him on either £128,000 a week or £12,800 a week. It's certainly not the first, maybe the second after tax? Maths needs work I think.

You mean Martinez, right?

Anyhow, you can basically guarantee that, if we are to sign this player, we will not be paying £5m. I can see us sending someone else there in partial exchange, maybe along with a loan. I'd be surprised if we pay more than half the price touted.

Well no. The implication was that Kenwright only spends his money on intelligent signings, as if he was the mastermind behind our pickups the last decade and not David Moyes. Now Moyes is gone, so we can't use past signings as a justification for future ones.

top signing this is. we currently have victor anichebe and jelavic. both unproven before they joined.. so you cant judge him.

kone has won the eredivise twice, and has scored goals wherever he has been, and he absolutely destroyed us in the fa cup. bullied our defenders constantly.

i do agree 5 mill is a bit much, but wigan would want to keep him. van persie was 29 when man u bought him, so i dont think age has anything to do with it, as the lad has an abundance of pace.

i think this will be a shrewd bit of business and will support him as i do every other player.

i constantly moaned about anichebe, but like many other fans this season, warmed to him, so people shouldnt be so quick to judge.

Haf said not to solely look at the transfer fee but also wages which contribute to the overall cost of a player, albeit on the face of transfers the fee is obviously the main focus but too many people forget or discard what wages some players take.

He earns around £10.000 per week at Wigan which is peanuts in today's game and I'd be shocked if he was on much more if he came here.

You can't buy many players who can do a job in this league for a relatively low fee and very low wages.

Depending on whether you have the comma in the wrong place or are missing a "0" J (because 5,76,000 isn't a number) that puts him on either £128,000 a week or £12,800 a week. It's certainly not the first, maybe the second after tax? Maths needs work I think.

Blame the site then Mike ;) copy and pasted it.

Haf said not to solely look at the transfer fee but also wages which contribute to the overall cost of a player, albeit on the face of transfers the fee is obviously the main focus but too many people forget or discard what wages some players take.

He earns around £10.000 per week at Wigan which is peanuts in today's game and I'd be shocked if he was on much more if he came here.

You can't buy many players who can do a job in this league for a relatively low fee and very low wages.

He will be on a lot more than £10,000 a week here mate, im sure of it. We will all find out soon anyway.

He will be on a lot more than £10,000 a week here mate, im sure of it. We will all find out soon anyway.

You think? He's probably worth an increase to 15-20k, just for joining a bigger club, but you don't think we'd put him on 30-35k a week? I sure hope not.

£5m is not a lot if he's going to stay fit and give us 5 years. I sure as hell would have loved him last season after seeing him play but the fact is they took the punt on him at £2m so the extra £3m is the price we pay now he's scored a few and looked decent in the prem. There are no guarantees in football, we could sign Bony for £10m and everyone would rave but he may wind up to be awful and we have to sell him at a loss... I'm not overly concerned by Kone's re-sale as if he gives us anywhere near what Distin has then it's money we'll spent. Who's to say anyway that he'll be the only striker that we sign?

Guest Ph3nom3non

I think teams around us are signing better players and we are being left behind im afraid, i mean if liverpool where making this signing i would be laugthing

I think teams around us are signing better players and we are being left behind im afraid, i mean if liverpool where making this signing i would be laugthing

That's because Liverpool generally spends over twice as much for any given player, and they have finished below us in the league two years running.

Just saying that Liverpool shouldn't be used a benchmark when it comes to signing players.

That's because Liverpool generally spends over twice as much for any given player, and they have finished below us in the league two years running.

Just saying that Liverpool shouldn't be used a benchmark when it comes to signing players.

Liverpool was probably a poor example. Kenwright went running to the press about how he and Martinez really want to make a push for the Champions League. And yet the only players we seem truly involved with right now are a couple of 30-year-olds from a relegated team and who are nothing more than rotation options. Meanwhile even teams like Sunderland and Aston Villa are making moves to try to improve their squad. I don't expect us to make a bid for Messi and I understand there's still time but it would be nice to see Kenwright literally put his money where his mouth is and take some initiative in putting in some genuine bids for one or two real difference makers.

Edited by thoward18