IGNORED

Arouna Kone

Liverpool was probably a poor example. Kenwright went running to the press about how he and Martinez really want to make a push for the Premier League. And yet the only players we seem truly involved with right now are a couple of 30-year-olds from a relegated team and who are nothing more than rotation options. Meanwhile even teams like Sunderland and Aston Villa are making moves to try to improve their squad. I don't expect us to make a bid for Messi and I understand there's still time but it would be nice to see Kenwright literally put his money where his mouth is and take some initiative in putting in some genuine bids for one or two real difference makers.

I think Kenwright told us all what's going to happen when he said Martinez would be looking to bring in two or three players. So if Kone is one and it looks like Alcaraz will be the second... That doesn't look too crash hot to me.

Based on people's arguments on age it's a good job we didn't use such logic when signing Andy Gray, Beardsley, distin, paul power, Richard gough, David weir, Nigel martyn,....

Yep, all quality older signings.

you're comparing kone to andy gray?

fuck me haf

as theo would say i'm out

you're comparing kone to andy gray?

fuck me haf

as theo would say i'm out

Did I compare him to Andy Gray - Or did i use Andy Gray as an example (with many others) of us signing an older player who made a massive mark on the club???

Yep the latter.

5 Million for Kone.

Just been watching a few good old you tube clips on him. 5 Million is well worth a player of his age and quality.

We really writing a 29/30 year old off? well thats half our team written of with him.

Goal records? he has a better record than any of our strikers.

Seriously guys i think we need a reality check. 5M for Kone should buy us 10 to 15 golas at least.

50+ for Cavanni should buy at least 50 goals then.

Has anyone got any candiadtes up front that we should be spending 5M on?

And whats with all this cash we have to spend? i must have missed smething, because last i saw were still broke. Yes we have extra money from TV deals, but all that has done is make us more secure, it doesnt mean we have 20m to spare to spend on a single player.

How much did we spend on Jela?

How many do we expect Anichebe to score next season?

Can McAleny make the grade this season?

Will Felli even be here?

Oh ye i forgot we have Naismith dont we!

Come on we are spending 5M on a 29 year old forward who has scored goals in some top leagues. Why do you all want us to become a breeding ground for the top teams? why can we only risk money on players that we could make money on ( possibly ). With our current squad we would struggle to hit the top eight next year. we are about to spend a small ammount on a striker that hit double figure for a team that got relegated.

How much bigger is an open goal compared to a goal with a keeper in the nets? the only difference is your under more pressure to score.

How much weaker are prem teams when playing for a relegation team? the only difference is its harder for you to make chances.

You've also got the likes of Swansea and Norwich as well as Aston villa and Sunderland which are strengthening with better younger quality of players we need to do the same. If we don't have that much Kone doesn't seem worth it in terms of a business deal. If anything it shows a lack of ambition going for him we ought to be trying to get better quality of players which are younger. It's embarrassing when you see the likes of Norwich get players like Ricky van wolfswinkle whilst we are looking at Kone. And Swansea and west ham are bidding for Bony and chadli

Based on the negatives on here we need to apply some reverse analysis.

So... If we had £12m sitting round for a full back and Leighton baines from man city was available for that price at age 28, do we call Martinez a clown for spending it?? I would question it, however if I knew I was getting a player who could make our team tick for the next 4-5 years its money well spent.

So £5m for kone is too much??? Seriously guys, the only way you can question it is if you think he's not a good striker. Imo He's better than anything we've got up front.

You've also got the likes of Swansea and Norwich as well as Aston villa and Sunderland which are strengthening with better younger quality of players we need to do the same. If we don't have that much Kone doesn't seem worth it in terms of a business deal. If anything it shows a lack of ambition going for him we ought to be trying to get better quality of players which are younger. It's embarrassing when you see the likes of Norwich get players like Ricky van wolfswinkle whilst we are looking at Kone. And Swansea and west ham are bidding for Bony and chadli

I honestly don't think Van Wolfswinkel is better than Koné, unless he improved a lot in Portugal. I think a lot of people seem to overestimate his ability because the rags linked him to Man United at one point.

I get your point in general though. Seeing West Ham spending 15m on one player (even if it is on Andy Carroll), then bidding more than 10m again for Bony. Swansea (!?) bidding more than 10m for Bony, possibly spending a lot of money on Chadli as well while they already brought 4 players in. It's depressing.

Edited by Steve_E

They are getting better quality players? havent saw those bids yet. they are bidding on unproven talent yes, and paying double for it. That sounds like a beter business deal? Sorry but just because these teams are spending more money des not mean they are better signings.

And you will have to excuse me for being old fashioned and all but im a FOOTBALL fan, not an Alan Sugar fan, I dont give a shit about how much sell on potential a player has. i would rather see us buy a player that can fire us into Europe next season. Which incidently makes cash too.

Look a new manager comes into a team and do one of two things:

1 = Shake the whole team up, sell players and buy players and cock everything up.

2 = Work with what he has and add what he thinks will improve on the current set-up without rocking the boat too much.

I am going with 2.

Been coming around to him, but I think it's a stretch to say he's better than what we have now. I think he's different than what we have, but I reckon end of the season goals tally between him and Jelly comes down to the kind of service from the midfield more than anything else. Strikes me as a different kind of striker than we've had of late, and I think he could potentially work well with any of the lads we already have up top or on his own, so for that versatility I think the 5 million is reasonable. Seems to have overcome his injuries and doesn't appear to have an attitude problem.

Few folks on here saying he has a good scoring record, and for the most part seems true, but looks to me like he notched a grand total of 1 goal in 40 games while at Sevilla. Be curious to know what kind of system they were playing there or what went wrong. As we all know, we can hardly afford a 1 million dollar gaffe signing, let alone 5.

We, as a club, have decided to take a jaunt down the Martinez road and he thinks this lad is worth the price. Fair enough. My real concern is that Bobby hasn't had the time to really get to know our squad before deciding who to bring in (assuming that we're as close to completing this deal as Coyle seems to think).

Suppose I'm still in the camp that would like to see a real focus on getting the most out of Jelly by improving service from midfield. We definitely need more options up front though and 5 million on that position isn't bad in the medium term. I'm pleased that he's proven in the league and I don't think there's anyone else we could get in at that price with his pedigree.

Guest rusty747

If he gets us into Europe it's a great signing. If we end up mid table then it's 5 mill wasted. Lets hope Martinez knows what he is doing.

Kone is just the type of player we need, a SWASHBUCKLING goalscorer!

Indeed! I hope he hasn't got a ridiculous goal celebration, though! A lot of Africans do. Pienaar just lifts his shirt up, these days, but he used to do the pissed, almost falling over tribal Dad dancing thing. Not a good look. Hope Kone doesn't do that (nor kneel down, stick his arse up in the air and kiss the grass - if he needs to pray there's a church in the corner!)

edit - must learn to spell

Edited by Cake

Kone is a proven goal scorer in the prem, are we not better off paying 6m for him than 6m for a young lad from a different league who might not cut it, remember we haven't got loads of cash to waste on gambles

Open yer eyes mate!! Kone has had one season in the prem, how does that make him a proven scorer? look at Jelavic's first season, he was a machine, then look what happened during his second season. He needs to be judged over a couple of seasons before being classed as anywhere near proven.

Just for comparison - Mario Gomez is available. He is 27 (better age) Scored 11 goals in 9 starts and 12 appearances from the bench. (better goal ratio) But he plays for Bayern so he is bound to get more chances to score every game.

He will cost 17 mil though, is he worth that?

Sunderland have just had a 4million pound bid rejected for Altidore, if he goes for 5/6 million I'll be pissed, considering he is 5/6 years younger than Kone and in fine form at the moment.

Altidore flopped in the prem, one goal for Hull as they got relegated, Kone scored 11 for a side that was relegated.

I take the point about his current form and I also realise he was only young when moving to Hull and may have improved considerably but Kone and Altidores respective records in the prem put them miles apart

Open yer eyes mate!! Kone has had one season in the prem, how does that make him a proven scorer? look at Jelavic's first season, he was a machine, then look what happened during his second season. He needs to be judged over a couple of seasons before being classed as anywhere near proven.

At least he has been scoring in the prem, and as for jelly I'm very confident he'll be back next season under Roberto, the style of play we should hopefully be playing will suit him!

I reckon there are a fair few on here who know jack shit about stats, use google and cherry pick the ones that stand up to back their argument.

Based on his performances against our defence alone I would sign him for £5m in a heart beat. In the 3 games "I watched" him play, he was very good indeed. Gave us far more to worry about than the likes of some more esteemed "oh please let's sign him, he's really good on footy manager" players.

I hadn't known anything about him till the Boxing Day game at Goodson, but pointed him out to my brother along with McCarthy as their two most industrious players.

FYI - out of the 40 games he played for Sevilla tot up total minutes played. He was pretty much permo sub behind Freddie kanoute and Luis fabiano. You could always quote the 15 goals in 34 for levante or 21 in 53 for PSV? I guess they don't work for your arguments that he's shit and we should sign someone who was called the next messi 5 years ago at barca.

Altidore flopped in the prem, one goal for Hull as they got relegated, Kone scored 11 for a side that was relegated.

I take the point about his current form and I also realise he was only young when moving to Hull and may have improved considerably but Kone and Altidores respective records in the prem put them miles apart

He was 19/20. Kone is what, 29? Altidore had a lot to learn. Kone was in the prime of his career. Not a fair comparison.

Lets sack kone off, just seen Bojan is getting fucked off by Milan, (they signed him from Roma who got rid), originally he was at barca where his reputation seems to have gotten him those two moves.

But he was ace on football manager 2008 and he's only 22, giving him plenty of time to further his journey man status and join the likes of Freddie adu, sadick Adams, giovanni dos santos, John bostock, (jozi altidore is another cracker)

Yeah bojan, we can all get well excited and watch him form a dream partnership with javier saviola (pele put him in top 125 players in the world once)

Maybe we should buy a good centre forward who has the physicality and speed to lead the line and be a part of a team..,