IGNORED

Arouna Kone

I agree its mediocre ten, but for the money i think its a fair signing. If we had more money to spend to buy the three or four players we need then i'd be pissed off too. But the mediocre board have got us in this situation where we dont have the extra to spend. I dont think many other forwards in the prem would go for less.

I also think Roberto is playing it safe with a player he thinks he can trust to help him bring in his ideas., for now i trust Roberto.

problem is steve we don't have much money to spend and spending most(if not all) our transfer budget on this isn't good enough...unless we have a 30m transfer budget(hahahahahaha) then this is a shite signing for the money...meh at best

But that's my point, you won't get better for the same sort of money. If you know a striker who is better for £5m then great, but I don't know of any.

cos we can't get any better let's just bite the bullet and spend it on him?

i'd rather risk it with a younger player...helenius went for 1.2m to villa...looked good from what i've seen..far younger too so if he flops he can still be sold on...ifkone flops we're stuck with him

also that quote had me scared...i knew i didn't write all that :lol:

Have you noticed Martinez has the same shirt on in his interviews?

It's fair to say that the interview had been segmented, and the club knew they had their man.

Why is it though, that they can't let the fans know, rather than us find out via leaked sources? It would be great to log on to the official site and see something for the first time that was exciting.

I noticed that earlier. The same shirt in videos posted four or five days ago. Maybe it was all sorted that far back?

cos we can't get any better let's just bite the bullet and spend it on him?

i'd rather risk it with a younger player...helenius went for 1.2m to villa...looked good from what i've seen..far younger too so if he flops he can still be sold on...ifkone flops we're stuck with him

also that quote had me scared...i knew i didn't write all that :lol:

Haha quotes getting crossed. I've just read the next three pages since I replied to your post and saw it had all been talked about already, so might as well ignore it.

I still think the main reason he has been brought in is to minimise the risk of bringing in a bad player who might rock the boat. He trusts Kone, and I trust Roberto. For now.

Well it appears we got this particular player so at least that's half of this debate brought to a close, but I really don't know much about the name in question. Did some research though, was hardly prolific at Athletic, averaging a goal every three games and his best work was in Holland a good few years back, has never quite been able to replicate that form after moving on.

Seems the general consensus of todays transfer, some are excited or optimistic and others are skeptical and have their doubts. Can't take either side, as he's obviously a player that has done well and been a menace, but seems largely inconsistent. May either be a hit at Goodison Park and be an effective center forward, or disappoint again and could well be seen as a waste of money or struggle to make an impact. Only time will tell.

Yeah he's 29 and it would be nice if he was 4-5 years younger, but if he was then we wouldn't be able to afford him anyway. Martinez isn't going to rebuild the squad during this window or the next one - or not without a major injection of transfer cash - but I believe Kone will add goals and other strengths to our attack and help the team to turn some of last season's draws into wins, and that will do for me, for now.

None of us know the size of our club's transfer kitty this summer so it's impossible to say how much of the budget this used up, but I think we'd all rather the cash was spent on a striker before any other position, given that our two main men just weren't productive enough last season.

Edited by efc1111

If this Kone can re-produce the form he saw in the Netherlands and go on a run, and with Martinez' more attacking intentions than Moyes' often tentative approaches, this could actually work.

Not singing from rooftops, not overly skeptical. Just curious as to quite what we purchased today and see how he gets on next season.

How much do we think are we saving in wages with Neville, Moyes, Mucha and whomever else gone? Moyes was on over 4mil, right? Martinez was making like 2mil at Wigan. What was Neville on? Wasn't Mucha on a horribly inflated wage? Who else is gone? Hitzlsperger?

I ask, because these seem to be some large savings. I can't imagine Kone being on major wages. There has to be a fair amount of money in the transfer kitty just from shedding these contracts.

Edited by JoeQuince

Signing Kone dosnt piss me off. In fact, I think Kone could do very well under Martinez at Everton. He has a better squad around him, will already work well under Bobby, and on top of that he can score goals and we finally have three reasonable strikers who can give each other a rest, which we havnt had in... well since I can remember.

However, what does piss me off is the fact that we are apparently signing Alcaraz and we have also been linked by SSN to goalkeeper Joel Robles, who was on loan at Wigan last season from Atletico Madrid. Dont get me wrong, Alcaraz from what I've seen could fill a void at Everton, but even if we signed Wigans top 3 or 4 players last season, that to me is a step backwards, lets sign someone half bloody decent from a different side who can give us a bit of a lift as fans.

• 1 month later...

I think too many are looking to justify their negative stance at the outrageous £6m we paid for a striker.

I for one I hope he can handle the price tag, i've seen what it did to the likes of Shevchenko, Veron, Denilson, and Torres.

6M for us might as well be whatever the hell Liverpool paid for Andy Carroll. We can't afford to squander five pounds, let alone 6 million.

I think too many are looking to justify their negative stance at the outrageous £6m we paid for a striker.

I for one I hope he can handle the price tag, i've seen what it did to the likes of Shevchenko, Veron, Denilson, and Torres.

just like people who think he's the best ever trying to justify him missing chances by saying about last ditch tackles and oh well it happens etc..not that i'm writing him off at all but he was dog shit

6M for us might as well be whatever the hell Liverpool paid for Andy Carroll. We can't afford to squander five pounds, let alone 6 million.

Squander... are you actually saying we "squandered" £6m on a player who scored more than any of our players for a team that was relegated. Who also happened to cause nightmares on 2 occassions for our international centre halves.... Lets cut our losses and sell him!

can someone remind me who we sold Beckford to for £4m???

just like people who think he's the best ever trying to justify him missing chances by saying about last ditch tackles and oh well it happens etc..not that i'm writing him off at all but he was dog shit

I justified his signing based on watching him play more games for Wigan than he has done for us - which at the moment is a sum total of 1.

I actually think finishing aside, his contribution was good, another game he would have had 3 goals and some on here would be getting his name on their shirt and hair peroxided.

Squander... are you actually saying we "squandered" £6m on a player who scored more than any of our players for a team that was relegated. Who also happened to cause nightmares on 2 occassions for our international centre halves.... Lets cut our losses and sell him!

can someone remind me who we sold Beckford to for £4m???

I didn't say we have squandered it. I'm just pointing it out that highlighting his price tag and implying that we have any room for sunken costs is flat-out wrong. Whether he is worth it remains to be seen.

That's my stance. He wasn't great, but it's too early to write him off just yet and to say we should be trying to recoup his fee somehow is a jumping-the-gun a bit. We'll have a better picture of him when he plays in about 5 full games.

People aren't necessarily writing him off but I like many am finding it hard to find any positives in his performance on Wednesday. I liked the look of him at Wigan so am hoping for better but stand by my statement that Wednesday was the worst EFC striker's performance in memory.

I think maybe people missed the irony in that post Haf.

I'm hoping it was irony anyway :unsure:.