IGNORED

Arouna Kone

Steven Naismith scores a hat trick in his first game for us - hence a load of "great, what a player!"

Kone has limited appearances and misses a sitter and hits a post hence "he's useless"

Has he actually had 90 minutes prem time in total??? From what i've seen RVP, Aguero, Rooney, etc have gone more than 90 minutes without scoring.

maybe, but they havent missed many from 6 yards out with a more-or-less open goal in front of them.

yes he has contributed in other ways during his brief spell on the pitch for us but we brought him in to be a goal getter and help implement Martinezs style, of which he hasnt done either. Maybe it is too early to write him off but its certainly justified to be frustrated and vent said frustrations.

maybe, but they havent missed many from 6 yards out with a more-or-less open goal in front of them.

yes he has contributed in other ways during his brief spell on the pitch for us but we brought him in to be a goal getter and help implement Martinezs style, of which he hasnt done either. Maybe it is too early to write him off but its certainly justified to be frustrated and vent said frustrations.

Strikers miss easy chances from time to time. Chicharito missed a sitter from six yards and RVP missed a penalty in their last CL match.

That said, I am very disappointed and wish him a speedy recovery. I can only hope he comes back stronger. Everton really can't afford deals like this if they dont contribute playing time and wins.

Strikers miss easy chances from time to time. Chicharito missed a sitter from six yards and RVP missed a penalty in their last CL match.

That said, I am very disappointed and wish him a speedy recovery. I can only hope he comes back stronger. Everton really can't afford deals like this if they dont contribute playing time and wins.

fair enough argument. Just because other miss, doesnt make his ok though.

Also wish him a good recovery.

Based on what I have seen of Kone £6m was absolutely fine. He can score goals, he runs at defenders, he can hold the ball up - he is a good footballer!

Now he's injured it's "what a waste of money" - you could sign messi or ronaldo and that happens. The lad had observed Ramadan, was totally off the pace like most who fast, and then after jelavic had his chance had 1 or 2 games - that's it!

If you based your total judgement of RVP on two of his games this season you would say he's shite.

I can only speak for myself but I have been of the opinion that at £6M for an ageing striker that we were always going to lose for part of the season (ACN ) he was a waste of money long before he got injured

I didn't rate him at Wigan and I haven't seen anything to change my mind since he arrived

He is unfortunate to have picked up another serious injury, that could have happened to anybody. I also agree its way too early to write him off but I think he is going to have to do something pretty spectacular next season if he is to prove to be money well spent

RVP did last night (ish) :)

Tbh I think Martinez did bring him in to do the hard work and not just be a goal getter. We need a platform to play football and he was the cheapest and most reliable player he knew to do that. We needed someone to hold onto the ball and link the play up with midfield allowing us to control possession. He obviously wants him to score goals too, but in the couple of games he has played in he hasn't put them away (although its worth noting that he has probably ended up with the most easy chances this season so far which says something about his positional play at the very least!).

I just hope he gets back before the end of the season so that he can help us finish strongly and win the Premiership :)

I think there are a few key points to remember here guys:-

• You are talking like £6m is an extortionate amount of money for a player his age... he is a year older than Baines who we would be disgusted to accept less than £18m for. I am not comparing abilities, but put into perspective a player of his position carries more £ value than a full back.
  • Not every player can be bought with an "investment" in mind. Unless we have £25m to spend then i'm afraid its a case of unproven young gambles, or lower costing "does what it says on the tin" Teams don't sell strikers on the cheap. We got £6m for Vic, £4m for Beckford (waste of money for Leicester). Steven Fletcher was a gamble and cost £12m for Sunderland... Not every signing can be a Michu.
  • Martinez clearly identified we needed a striker of his ilk.. a forward who will work the defenders athletically, link up play, dribble. Yes scoring goals is a massive part of the game but not the be all and end all. I seen enough of Kone in 3 games against us last year to see a player who stretches defences, creates problems and puts defenders on the back foot.

I'm not sure how Jelavic's performances will make any difference whatsoever? Jelavic can look like a lamppost week in, week out for all I care, it's not going to make me start thinking "do you know what, I'd much rather Kone was here hitting the post, wasting chances. They weren't actually as embarrassing as they appeared to be now I've seen Jelavic."

Do you know why that is? Because only Kone can make me change my opinion of him, not another player. Those misses and general nothingness that he brought to our game don't change just because another player is playing poorly too.

I am not going to write Kone off, but i do agree with Romey here.

Kone is the only person that can change the opinions on this forum. His form has nothing to do with Jellys and he should be judged on what he does.

Jelly has missed sitters by a mile while Kone has missed by inches. An inch the other side on a few chances and he could have had four goals now.

Unfortunate for the guy, but he gets paid a lot of money and only he can prove himself.

I think there are a few key points to remember here guys:-

• You are talking like £6m is an extortionate amount of money for a player his age... he is a year older than Baines who we would be disgusted to accept less than £18m for. I am not comparing abilities, but put into perspective a player of his position carries more £ value than a full back.

• Not every player can be bought with an "investment" in mind. Unless we have £25m to spend then i'm afraid its a case of unproven young gambles, or lower costing "does what it says on the tin" Teams don't sell strikers on the cheap. We got £6m for Vic, £4m for Beckford (waste of money for Leicester). Steven Fletcher was a gamble and cost £12m for Sunderland... Not every signing can be a Michu.

• Martinez clearly identified we needed a striker of his ilk.. a forward who will work the defenders athletically, link up play, dribble. Yes scoring goals is a massive part of the game but not the be all and end all. I seen enough of Kone in 3 games against us last year to see a player who stretches defences, creates problems and puts defenders on the back foot.

For a club like Everton £6M is an extortionate amount of money for a player his age, with his injury record and the fact we lose him to the African Cup of Nations. Baines is possibly the best left back in Europe and the £15M price tag was enough to fend off Man Utd . Kone is a long long way from being the best player in his position

I totally agree that its way too early to write him off but the early signs are not good, although admittedly there have been mitigating circumstances

If we say £6m is extortionate for us, I would happily point to the fact that it wouldn't be if our commercial team didn't agree such shite kit deals, shirt sponsors etc then that wouldn't be the case. A different argument but you get the jist.

I still feel £6m for a proven premier league forward isn't a problem. Some may question the proven bit, but the times I seen him for Wigan I really liked him. His record elsewhere supports that.

I just think let's chill on this one, give him a break.

If we say £6m is extortionate for us, I would happily point to the fact that it wouldn't be if our commercial team didn't agree such shite kit deals, shirt sponsors etc then that wouldn't be the case. A different argument but you get the jist.

I still feel £6m for a proven premier league forward isn't a problem. Some may question the proven bit, but the times I seen him for Wigan I really liked him. His record elsewhere supports that.

Ha ha only you could turn Martinez wasting £6M on Kone into being the Boards fault !

We needed someone to create space for the midfield to push forward, I'd preferred we bought someone else however can see the logic. As for the price other clubs were prepared to pay it. There's not many bargains in trades between English clubs (£mil).

Odemwingie 2.5

Gayle 6

Anichebe 6

Kone 6

Carroll 15.5

Sessegnong 6

Shelvey 6

McCarthy 13

Downing 6

Bannan 1

Caulker 8

Parker 2

Huddlestone 5

Elmohamady 2

Mignolet 9

Ha ha only you could turn Martinez wasting £6M on Kone into being the Boards fault !

Only you could find a sensational headline from me making a factual statement.

The reality is that £6m is naff all in today's game - and since when has it been agreed that it was wasted? I don't think it was wasted at all. But yes £6m is a chunk of money when you compare it to commercial revenue streams that the club just do not maximise.

People judging a player as a waste of money who hasn't had 90 minutes prem game time? If we based our judgement on lukakus 90 minutes against palace we would be questioning his drogba comparisons.

didn't someone say he got like 1 goal in 50 games or summat for sevilla? a club on a similar level to ours? other teams he has played for have always been lower haven't they?(no offence to wigan)

didn't someone say he got like 1 goal in 50 games or summat for sevilla? a club on a similar level to ours? other teams he has played for have always been lower haven't they?(no offence to wigan)

He only had 8 starts from 40 games, but a solitary goal is still pitiful.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/arouna-kone/leistungsdaten-vereindetail/spieler_8552_368.html

Only you could find a sensational headline from me making a factual statement.

The reality is that £6m is naff all in today's game - and since when has it been agreed that it was wasted? I don't think it was wasted at all. But yes £6m is a chunk of money when you compare it to commercial revenue streams that the club just do not maximise.

People judging a player as a waste of money who hasn't had 90 minutes prem game time? If we based our judgement on lukakus 90 minutes against palace we would be questioning his drogba comparisons.

I would hardly describe you having a pop at the Board as sensational news but while we are being factual it was Martinez that wanted to splash £6M on Kone not the Board

written in July, before his host of missed chances in front of goal in a royal blue shirt.

Before he played a sum total of just shy of 90 prem league minutes... I'm actually pleased he was there to miss them. Anyhow, this thread ain't worth discussing further till he is ready to play again.

Lets just keep slating him eh, if it makes the doubters of the £6m aquisition feel "correct in their early criticisms"... deary me.

Everton - 2013-2014: 79 minutes total over 5 games = 15 minutes per prem appearance...

Wigan - 2012 - 2013: 34 games 11 goals - better than any of our strikers in a relegated team

Levante - 2011 - 2012: 34 games 15 goals (could have played more but had to be benched due to him having to be recalled to seville if he scored 18 goals - goals per game he was up there with your la liga darlings - he gave Ramos a tough game in one match in particular)

In his time in Holland, Germany and Spain top flight he averaged 1 in 3 games per goal. Including the time at Seville (was he played on the right hand side???)

I can't believe how many people on this forum love to prematurely criticise signings... if he had played 900 minutes now and was useless then fair enough... 79 minutes of prem league time after a pre season observing Ramadan (no hydration and food during sunlight hours in a scorching summer....) seriously guys, Anelka and Muntari are top players who experienced difficulties of being an athlete around this time.

So far this season I have seen early criticisms of:-

Barry - soon put to bed

McCarthy - needs a full season to prove he isn't Joe Allen

Alcaraz - forget ability he's injury prone

Kone - because he cost an almighty £6m he had to hit the ground running???

Maybe we should have signed Wolfswinkle or Osvaldo... they've been great haven't they??? hmmm euro forum experts indeed.

How many goals has he scored for us Haf? That's all I'm interested in. He scored X for team X - great for them, he's scored 0 for us.

Its not his fault he got injured, its not his fault he missed the beginning of the season (it kinda is, but you cant hold religious beliefs against him). Its not his fault he cost 6m.

It is his fault that he missed sitters that would've helped us and because of this, he can be criticized.