IGNORED

Arouna Kone

How many goals has he scored for us Haf? That's all I'm interested in. He scored X for team X - great for them, he's scored 0 for us.

Its not his fault he got injured, its not his fault he missed the beginning of the season (it kinda is, but you cant hold religious beliefs against him). Its not his fault he cost 6m.

It is his fault that he missed sitters that would've helped us and because of this, he can be criticized.

He's scored 0 in a total of 79 minutes prem football... which sitters in the prem did he miss??? he hit the post with a shot a inch or so to the left would have been a classy curled finish...

I seen RVP hit the post from close range last week, I seen Rooney miss an open goal - I seen Chiquarito blaze over from 10 yards... nope can't call them lemons... they can miss sitters though?

If he had scored the one that hit the post you would be looking at a goal every 79 minutes - clearly a distorted stat but no more distorted that view that many of you are taking.

To be honest, I don't even know why i'm defending someone who has done little wrong to be defended. Just basically trying to change the mindset of some overly and unfairly critical experts.

If Kone had played like Lukaku last Saturday the mob with pitch forks would already be assembling. Give him a chance ffs.

Excatly that... Lukaku has done his bit now - it will take at least 15 games of inactivity before Lukuka avatar fanboys start questioning any poor performances.

Come in and look like a beast = you get all the patience in the world even when offering nowt in certain games

Come in and have the odd few minutes and miss a couple of chances = I told you he was useless and I won't be convinced otherwise

He's scored 0 in a total of 79 minutes prem football... which sitters in the prem did he miss??? he hit the post with a shot a inch or so to the left would have been a classy curled finish...

I seen RVP hit the post from close range last week, I seen Rooney miss an open goal - I seen Chiquarito blaze over from 10 yards... nope can't call them lemons... they can miss sitters though?

If he had scored the one that hit the post you would be looking at a goal every 79 minutes - clearly a distorted stat but no more distorted that view that many of you are taking.

To be honest, I don't even know why i'm defending someone who has done little wrong to be defended. Just basically trying to change the mindset of some overly and unfairly critical experts.

No one's claiming to be an expert, they have a different opinion to yours that's all, so stop being a tit and get over it.

it didnt go in, so its a missed sitter - nearly doesn't count. Hes missed 4 sitters by my count.

Yes, even the best miss sitters. But guess what, they get criticized when they do. Also, I couldn't care less about other players, they don't play for Everton. I've not called him a lemon (I think I said he was crap, seeing as a striker couldn't score), and even if I did, I recently admitted I was too quick to write him off. But I refuse to wrap him up in cotton wool and ignore his failings in his initial minutes with us. I will acknowledge his work rate, his positioning and commend him for it, but I will get annoyed / frustrated when he misses an open goal from 6 yards out.

No one's claiming to be an expert, they have a different opinion to yours that's all, so stop being a tit and get over it.

Touched a nerve there? To be fair if anyone was likely to take offence to that it would have been you... good emotional intelligence - compliment and a criticism all in one.

The irony of your comment isn't lost either - a sanctimonious repsponse from a person who has taken umbradge to a general comment which can be applied to many posters - myself included who like to value their knowledge of the game higher than what it is...

Edited by Hafnia

Touched a nerve there? To be fair if anyone was likely to take offence to that it would have been you... good emotional intelligence - compliment and a criticism all in one.

:rofl:

Oh yes, consider my nerve well and truly touched! I'm thoroughly offended.

Any one who has a different opinion to you is wrong and knows nothing and you throw out all this shit, and any one who agrees with you you want to give a big man hug to because they're obviously enlightened beings. So how does it work when someone agrees with you about one thing but disagrees about another? Because I share your opinion about McCarthy but not about Kone.

The only one who comes across as thinking they're an expert here is you.

:rofl:

Oh yes, consider my nerve well and truly touched! I'm thoroughly offended.

Any one who has a different opinion to you is wrong and knows nothing and you throw out all this shit, and any one who agrees with you you want to give a big man hug to because they're obviously enlightened beings. So how does it work when someone agrees with you about one thing but disagrees about another? Because I share your opinion about McCarthy but not about Kone.

The only one who comes across as thinking they're an expert here is you.

see edited post - majority of forum posters like to be right/experts or whatever. It's the nature of the communities... at least I recognise the behavioural traits that I will display amongst many other posters and don't resort to comments as you made.

Unlike many I will however use stats to support my opinion...

Edited by Hafnia

see edited post - majority of forum posters like to be right/experts or whatever. It's the nature of the communities... at least I recognise the behavioural traits that I will display amongst many other posters and don't resort to comments as you made.

And I responded to your original post with a general reply - the use of the word they. You turned that into me being offended. I was replying as a moderator as you came across as trying to belittle the opinion that Kone isn't very good - I told you he was useless and I won't be convinced otherwise - and yet no one has tried to belittle your opinion by saying maybe you'd decided he was going to be great and won't be convinced otherwise. You don't need to try and belittle people, you make good arguments without that.

New signings are always judged instantly. Did you not judge McCarthy? Kone? It's what happens.

but you are cherry picking stats to support your argument (as is so often the case), and ignore counter stats that conflict, or deflect them with weird (and often wonderfully entertaining) analogies.

Ive already admitted I judged him too quickly, but that does not make him immune to criticism. I can only judge him on what hes done in an Everton shirt, which, considering the 6m we paid, has been very disappointing for a striker, so far. I hope to be proven wrong in the long run, but to date...

Edited by Matt

And I responded to your original post with a general reply - the use of the word they. You turned that into me being offended. I was replying as a moderator as you came across as trying to belittle the opinion that Kone isn't very good - I told you he was useless and I won't be convinced otherwise - and yet no one has tried to belittle your opinion by saying maybe you'd decided he was going to be great and won't be convinced otherwise. You don't need to try and belittle people, you make good arguments without that.

New signings are always judged instantly. Did you not judge McCarthy? Kone? It's what happens.

You were replying as a moderator? and to moderate you use an insult?

You were replying as a moderator? and to moderate you use an insult?

Touche. I was wrong to do that but it honestly wasn't meant in a mean way, more a friendly reproach because, like I said in my previous post, you don't need to act the way you do to those who oppose your view, your views are well written without resorting to that. It wasn't me calling you a tit because I disagree with your Kone viewpoint. But, sorry for calling you a tit (do stop being one though ;)).

Edited by Romey 1878

Touche. I was wrong to do that but it honestly wasn't meant in a mean way, more a friendly reproach because, like I said in my previous post, you don't need to act the way you do to those who oppose your view, your views are well written without resorting to that. It wasn't me calling you a tit because I disagree with your Kone viewpoint. But, sorry for calling you a tit (do stop being one though ;)).

ok, lets leave it there and move on...

If I'm not mistaken, the sitters that he missed occurred in the Hull and Stevenage games (I could be wrong); both of which we won 2-1. I'm not saying that Kone hasn't been a disappointment by any means -- just throwing it out there that he hasn't cost us any games (weak argument I know). The other games he has played in were draws (Norwich and Cardiff) and a loss (Citeh). Again,

When he costs us a game, I'll be more inclined to rule him as a failure -- though you could argue that he costs us games by not contributing in the draws and one loss, but I don't think that's exactly fair.

On a brighter note, I saw a tweet (Kone retweet) where it stated that his surgery went well and that it will only take about 3 months for him to recover. Hopefully, we'll see him before the season ends.

hafnia I admire the courage and tenacity with which you defended a player like Kone with convincing stats against clear prejudism in its purest form -

writing off a player after less than one full game in the PL - for a new side - o deary me - especially a striker for not scoring in his first 90 min - hehehe

please give me a better example of what prejudism is if that does not count -

my tongue in cheek theory is that Kone is the best stick to hit Martinez with - at best a very weak stick

hafnia I admire the courage and tenacity with which you defended a player like Kone with convincing stats against clear prejudism in its purest form -

writing off a player after less than one full game in the PL - for a new side - o deary me - especially a striker for not scoring in his first 90 min - hehehe

my tongue in cheek theory is that Kone is the best stick to hit Martinez with - at best a very weak stick

can you clarify what you mean by predudism in this case, I'm lost.

Can't stand him. I couldn't have been happier when he fucked off out of the Premier League and I hope no other English club is stupid enough to bring him back.

I love Balotelli! I was actually sad to see him leave the league. I love players like Balotelli, Zlatan, and Suarez for their attitude, though I wouldn't want them on my team.

Actually, I'd take Zlatan any day of the week.

I love Balotelli! I was actually sad to see him leave the league. I love players like Balotelli, Zlatan, and Suarez for their attitude, though I wouldn't want them on my team.

Actually, I'd take Zlatan any day of the week.

The thing with Balotelli was that I don't think he's anywhere near as good as he thinks he is, so his shit attitude stands out even more.

Sometimes people have a judgement of a player without really giving them a chance, I may have done this from time to time - but in the case of this summers transfers people seem to have not given much of a chance to the signings.

For £6m nowadays in the striker market you get a lucky dip foreign league top scoring player, a young potential 15 goal a season player or a cheaper version of what you need.

We went for a cheaper version of what we need, at the stage Martinez came in we had nothing up front - really we didn't... Jelavic - nope. Vic??? Nope. Literally no one, Martinez at the time and budget allowance went for a player he knows and trusts who he could afford... Simple as that.

He will get his chance to prove himself when fit.

Guest blueboy122

I seriously question some peoples sanity when they write players off after playing 80 minutes for us despite a superb season last year for Wigan and an outstanding record elsewhere. I think many members have wrote him off as he hasn't been hyped up by match of the day and other media sources or hasn't been touted as a wonder kid in his career of hasn't played at a huge club etc, these are the things that all effect peoples persona of a player naive as it may be.

I believe/know Kone is a great player and such a rounded player. He isn't just a goal poacher like Jelly or he isn't just a target man etc.

I think he is the most rounded forward we have had in years and he will do a job for us.

Are people really crying about the price still? I myself initially thought it was quite a lot to pay but when you look at it in reality we will have a bargain as I believe he is a great player.

Has anybody else suggested another forward we could have got for the same price? Anyone you can mention won't be anywhere near as a complete player as Kone is.

Maybe we should have signed Bony... He looks a great buy. Or maybe Osvaldo... Or maybe even Soldado?

Nearly £60 million spent on those three strikers who haven't done jack.

I can't understand the against Kone argument... At all. It's ludicrous. Is the argument that he missed an opportunity (marginally)?

Madness