IGNORED

Arouna Kone

Just for a comparison, Anichebe played for WBA last season and scored 3 goals in 16 games. I would argue that gives a more realistic comparison to Kone's season at Wigan where he was relegated.

The wigan team didn't create "loads of chances" - they played with a possession based mentality. Last season WBA scored 43 goals -just avoiding relegation , the season Wigan were relagated they scored 47.

The more reliable goal scoring comparison between Vic and Kone is Kone's last season at Wigan and Vic's season at WBA - Kone wins on that count.

Ability wise Kone is a superior player, where Vic spends his time slapping the floor, Kone is getting stuck in. Kone is a better player at stretching the defence, holdfs the ball up, takes his man on with more success.

Really don't get all this negativity towards a player who got booted in the knee and hasn't had the chance to prove himself - maybe he's taken Naismiths boo boy place.

3 in 16 for vic. I haven't looked it up but how many games did Kone play for his 14. Wigan played with an attacking mentality that season rather than parking the bus like most relegation threatened teams do and they had creative players in that side and played some really attractive attacking football they just couldn't defend.

I'm not overly negative towards him, Haf. Granted, I don't fancy him and I think he was a bad buy when we already had someone of a similar goal scoring ability. I've already said I hope I'm proved wrong and when he finally does run out at the Old Lady I'll cheer him and will him to do well as much as I do any other player. I never boo or slate our players at the match and I always applaud them off the pitch no matter what shift they have put in I don't believe in booing or slating your own at the game.

The debate here is that I think we need another back up striker as I don't think that a) he is good enough and b. ) I don't think he is going to be fit enough to be back up for a full season. He is coming back off a second really bad injury and as much as I respect that he has a religion he follows, this fasting for Ramadan cannot be any good for him building up his strength and core fitness which inh turn I feel will put his development back another 2 months. We'll be lucky to have him back at peak fitness for Christmas by which time we're almost halfway through the season.

For all these reasons and the fact I think he isn't good enough we need another back up striker in my opinion.

Paddock, console yourself with the fact that he arrived on a three year contract, so by the time he is fit it'll almost be time to say goodbye to him.

I wonder once those 3 years are up how much per game he will of cost us add to that his wages and his medical bills the divide that by the number of goals he scores.

See what people's opinions are of him then.

Give the lad a break, he has worked his backside off, he trained through the summer. Mr Darron Gibson less than 3 months ago was jumping around a pub in Manchester absolutely lashed off his face.

I for one am going to reserve judgement on the lads Everton career till he has been given a chance.

This,players get injured its part of the game....its people like junior and gueye who are a waste of money long contracts and do nothing

I'm sure kone will come good.

I genuinely hope you're right Patto

Give the lad a break, he has worked his backside off, he trained through the summer. Mr Darron Gibson less than 3 months ago was jumping around a pub in Manchester absolutely lashed off his face.

I for one am going to reserve judgement on the lads Everton career till he has been given a chance.

Which is only fair. The problem I have is I never rated before he was even mentioned with us so it's hard to just change now because he plays for us now.

I genuinely hope you're right Patto

Which is only fair. The problem I have is I never rated before he was even mentioned with us so it's hard to just change now because he plays for us now.

I never seen him as a world beater, but I do recall thinking that Martinez had got a very good striker for £3m. In two games against us I was extremely impressed with the way he led the line and gave Heitinga all sorts of problems, it took Jags to help him out before Heits was subbed.

It all comes down to "what do you want for £6m" - at the time we had Jelavic who was totally lost and other than him not much else. Kone ticks a fair few boxes for someone to operate across the front line and Martinez took a safe and sensible option. Sure we could have gone and spent £6m on an unknown gamble but we didn't have cover for that potential mistake.

I never seen him as a world beater, but I do recall thinking that Martinez had got a very good striker for £3m. In two games against us I was extremely impressed with the way he led the line and gave Heitinga all sorts of problems, it took Jags to help him out before Heits was subbed.

It all comes down to "what do you want for £6m" - at the time we had Jelavic who was totally lost and other than him not much else. Kone ticks a fair few boxes for someone to operate across the front line and Martinez took a safe and sensible option. Sure we could have gone and spent £6m on an unknown gamble but we didn't have cover for that potential mistake.

We'll either way it's fell flat on its arse.

For what it's worth I think he would have been another Anichebe in terms of what he contributed but a different style if he had stayed fit. If he gets up and running we'll see which way he goes. I hope I'm wrong and he's great but I can't see it myself and until he gets fit and has a run in the side we'll never know.

We'll either way it's fell flat on its arse.

For what it's worth I think he would have been another Anichebe in terms of what he contributed but a different style if he had stayed fit. If he gets up and running we'll see which way he goes. I hope I'm wrong and he's great but I can't see it myself and until he gets fit and has a run in the side we'll never know.

Anichebe? One week 3/10, next week 7/10. His attitude stunk.

You don't get a crystal ball and know a player won't get injured, if he gets fit and plays awful then fair enough - but he hasn't had a chance to be classed as a failure - unlucky yes, failure no.

People need to give the man a chance to prove his worth he's played five games!!

I can see why people have reservations about him and with the fee and injury's it doesn't bode well but that's not his fault and it doesn't take away from the fact he's a good player who if can stay fit will create and score goals.

If he can stay fit which I know after his previous injuries and this one could be wishful thinking but I do think he'll be a more than capable back up to Rom and will give us more options as his all round game is good.

Vic was nothing more than a big useless lump with a piss poor attitude, championship player at best!

Edited by EFC-Paul

People need to give the man a chance to prove his worth he's played five games!!

I can see why people have reservations about him and with the fee and injury's it doesn't bode well but that's not his fault and it doesn't take away from the fact he's a good player who if can stay fit will create and score goals.

If he can stay fit which I know after his previous injuries and this one could be wishful thinking but I do think he'll be a more than capable back up to Rom and will give us more options as his all round game is good.

Vic was nothing more than a big useless lump with a piss poor attitude, championship player at best!

It got laughable at the end with Vic, people were saying he had a great game when in actual fact all he did was give 100% - he was on £30k a week... he scored 18 goals in 131 appearances....

Poor Kone, what has he done to be compared to that lad.

I thought he was shit before he came to Everton, before we were even linked to him so just because he now plays (that in itself being comical ) for us doesn't change my opinion.

Don't forget he's shit as well.

I happen to think he's shit it doesn't mean you have to think he is as well.

I'm not overly negative towards him

Then I'd hate to read what you think of someone about whom you are overly negative. :)

Edited by Cornish Steve

It got laughable at the end with Vic, people were saying he had a great game when in actual fact all he did was give 100% - he was on £30k a week... he scored 18 goals in 131 appearances....

Poor Kone, what has he done to be compared to that lad.

How many of those were as a sub or cameo appearance?

You have said yourself statistics can be written and produced to make things look good or bad .

I wonder how many goals Kone would score playing in Moyes team.

Whatever way you want to look at it, word it or put a spin on it we won't know unless he gets game time.

How many of those were as a sub or cameo appearance?

You have said yourself statistics can be written and produced to make things look good or bad .

I wonder how many goals Kone would score playing in Moyes team.

Whatever way you want to look at it, word it or put a spin on it we won't know unless he gets game time.

In all seriousness you are using Victor Anichebe to build a case against Arouna Kone... Victor was with us for 8 years.... he scored 7 more goals in all that time than what Kone did in his last season for a relegated team.

Do you think that maybe one of the reasons he had some sub appearnaces was because he was garbage???

I think Kone would have prospered in a Moyes team the way Marcus Bent did - hard working, decent link up play, great team player.

I seen Vic get plenty of chances, lots of starts, and in all honesty he was disppointing.

In all seriousness you are using Victor Anichebe to build a case against Arouna Kone... Victor was with us for 8 years.... he scored 7 more goals in all that time than what Kone did in his last season for a relegated team.

Do you think that maybe one of the reasons he had some sub appearnaces was because he was garbage???

I think Kone would have prospered in a Moyes team the way Marcus Bent did - hard working, decent link up play, great team player.

I seen Vic get plenty of chances, lots of starts, and in all honesty he was disppointing.

No I'm not at all I'm saying for what I think we would have got from Kone we already had from Anichebe. He was shite as we'll and I was delighted when we sold him and that's the exact same opinion that I have of Kone and as I've said countless times now only him playing games for us will prove anything right or wrong.

I think he's shite, you think he is a good player. He's spent almost all his Everton career in the physio room so the questions on him remain unanswered.

No I'm not at all I'm saying for what I think we would have got from Kone we already had from Anichebe. He was shite as we'll and I was delighted when we sold him and that's the exact same opinion that I have of Kone and as I've said countless times now only him playing games for us will prove anything right or wrong.

I think he's shite, you think he is a good player. He's spent almost all his Everton career in the physio room so the questions on him remain unanswered.

I don't really "think" anything. I just know that people have been ridiculously quick to shoot the lad down in flames, I seen him play for Wigan a good few times and was sufficiently impressed with his hold up play, front running, strength, work rate.

You would think he has been banned for 12 months for drug abuse - not kicked and injured.

I didn't say he was shit because he played for Wigan , who he played for is irrelevant I was just putting a spin on his "he scored 14 goals in a shit team people are saying, we'll so what, as I've said Anichebe probably would have scored similar. That team that were relegated had plenty of attacking players and created loads of chances they just leaked goals for fun and that was ultimately their downfall.

You like him ans I'm not suggesting you shouldn't but for me he was a waste of 6 million pounds we never had to waste and so far I've in my own eyes been proven right in my thinking. We already as I've said had a 10-12 goal a season striker in Anichebe who is younger and arguably fitter (again speaks volumes to me)

So just to reiterate, it has nothing to do with who he played for, where he comes from or anything else. I just don't rate him and I don't think he is good enough and was a waste of money. As I say I will be more than happy to eat these words and for you to point them out to me if he sets us on fire (even as a bit part back up striker) this season but I don't see it happening mate.

You cant use the players injury as evidence of being proven right, unless of course you are psychic too and in which instance I would like tomorrow nights lottery numbers please :)

Using Vic as a comparison is insulting. Vic's all round play isnt as good as Kones and not by a long shot. Vic does chip in with the odd goal and that all you want from your lone striker then yeh we may as well have kept Vic but if you want to build attacks from him, if you want him to interchange intricate passes in tight areas and have someone that will look to create a chance and score one, then he simply isnt good enough and thats why Martinez moved him on.

In the last 2 seasons Kone has played in 39 games, creating 43 chances and scoring 11 in the League. Vic played in 50 games, creating 45 chances and scored 9. It should also be taken into account that Vic normally played alongside a second striker in half of those appearances with West Brom which will make the job easier for him whereas Kone was almost always been played as a lone striker. By comparison, Lukaku averages roughly one chance a game but scores more, Jelavic created 1 chance per 2 games and scored roughly 10 goals over 2 seasons, Giroud is 1 chance a game almost exactly with roughly the same goal ratio, Etoo is 1 chance a game but 1 in 2 goals per game. I could go on but I think you get my point!

You cant use the players injury as evidence of being proven right, unless of course you are psychic too and in which instance I would like tomorrow nights lottery numbers please :)

Using Vic as a comparison is insulting. Vic's all round play isnt as good as Kones and not by a long shot. Vic does chip in with the odd goal and that all you want from your lone striker then yeh we may as well have kept Vic but if you want to build attacks from him, if you want him to interchange intricate passes in tight areas and have someone that will look to create a chance and score one, then he simply isnt good enough and thats why Martinez moved him on.

In the last 2 seasons Kone has played in 39 games, creating 43 chances and scoring 11 in the League. Vic played in 50 games, creating 45 chances and scored 9. It should also be taken into account that Vic normally played alongside a second striker in half of those appearances with West Brom which will make the job easier for him whereas Kone was almost always been played as a lone striker. By comparison, Lukaku averages roughly one chance a game but scores more, Jelavic created 1 chance per 2 games and scored roughly 10 goals over 2 seasons, Giroud is 1 chance a game almost exactly with roughly the same goal ratio, Etoo is 1 chance a game but 1 in 2 goals per game. I could go on but I think you get my point!

Yeh, Kone can get himself into position but not finish :P

I never used his injury as evidence of me being right. If you had read at least 3 of my posts I repeated myself again and again stating until he kicks on and plays for us nobody will know. That's exactly what I said so where you get that notion from I have no idea. If you were referring to me saying so far I have been proved right then I was referring to him being a bad buy. The few minutes he played for us he was garbage, granted he shouldn't be judged on this he should be given a chance but he can't because his knee has packed in again.

Your statistics are just statistics. To say Anichebe just chipped in with the odd goal is ridiculous. His stats are not far off kones other than games played. How many of Anichebes were full games compared to Kones? so you have pointed to the fact Anichebe played with another striker a lot of the time. It doesn't matter who you play with a players stats are his stats he does and makes things on his own ability.

If you think he is capable of doing a job then that's your opinion but I don't rate him and I am also allowed an opinion.

So for the umpteenth time, let's wait until he is fit and see what he does and then all the stats and intricate passing theories will be either proven or proved flawed

Guest blueboy122

I never used his injury as evidence of me being right. If you had read at least 3 of my posts I repeated myself again and again stating until he kicks on and plays for us nobody will know. That's exactly what I said so where you get that notion from I have no idea. If you were referring to me saying so far I have been proved right then I was referring to him being a bad buy. The few minutes he played for us he was garbage, granted he shouldn't be judged on this he should be given a chance but he can't because his knee has packed in again.

Your statistics are just statistics. To say Anichebe just chipped in with the odd goal is ridiculous. His stats are not far off kones other than games played. How many of Anichebes were full games compared to Kones? so you have pointed to the fact Anichebe played with another striker a lot of the time. It doesn't matter who you play with a players stats are his stats he does and makes things on his own ability.

If you think he is capable of doing a job then that's your opinion but I don't rate him and I am also allowed an opinion.

So for the umpteenth time, let's wait until he is fit and see what he does and then all the stats and intricate passing theories will be either proven or proved flawed

Comparing the ability of Victor Anichebe to Arouna Kone is like comparing night and day.

Kone is a complete footballer with a footballing brain.

I have seen enough of Anichebe to know he's no where near the ability of Kone.

Comparing the ability of Victor Anichebe to Arouna Kone is like comparing night and day.

Kone is a complete footballer with a footballing brain.

I have seen enough of Anichebe to know he's no where near the ability of Kone.

Jesus, did you read anything I posted?

I never compared them as players I posted I don't know how many times that they are completely different players not similar in any way other than their goal returns.

I meant we may as well of stuck with Anichebe than spent 6 million on Kone as in my opinion we would get a 8-12 goals a season out of either of them as our main striker.

Totally different types of striker but IN MY OPINION similar goal returns so we may as well kept the 6 and added to it next window/summer.

I don't rate Anichebe either, he is woeful not good enough to play for Everton but neither is Kone (again in my opinion)

Two totally different players, apples and oranges but te end product is exactly the same (goals wise)

Jesus, did you read anything I posted?

I never compared them as players I posted I don't know how many times that they are completely different players not similar in any way other than their goal returns.

I meant we may as well of stuck with Anichebe than spent 6 million on Kone as in my opinion we would get a 8-12 goals a season out of either of them as our main striker.

Totally different types of striker but IN MY OPINION similar goal returns so we may as well kept the 6 and added to it next window/summer.

I don't rate Anichebe either, he is woeful not good enough to play for Everton but neither is Kone (again in my opinion)

Two totally different players, apples and oranges but te end product is exactly the same (goals wise)

I'm finding this a strange thread I really am.

Anichebe wanted first team football, he wasn't good enough for this and used to sulk and moan even when he had been given a chance. The number of times I seen the likes of Baines flip at him because of his brainless antics said it all.

Do I think he would score as many as Kone? No.

Do I think he offers the same qualities to the team as Kone? No

Is there anything concrete to prove this? Not really, just the fact that Kone scored 11 goals in a relegated team and brought the likes of Maloney into an advanced position by utilising clever and strong hold up play as a lone striker. A very unselfish team player who Martinez rates for his link up play.

I look forward to seeing him in the squad and giving us options.

I'm finding this a strange thread I really am.

Anichebe wanted first team football, he wasn't good enough for this and used to sulk and moan even when he had been given a chance. The number of times I seen the likes of Baines flip at him because of his brainless antics said it all.

Do I think he would score as many as Kone? No.

Do I think he offers the same qualities to the team as Kone? No

Is there anything concrete to prove this? Not really, just the fact that Kone scored 11 goals in a relegated team and brought the likes of Maloney into an advanced position by utilising clever and strong hold up play as a lone striker. A very unselfish team player who Martinez rates for his link up play.

I look forward to seeing him in the squad and giving us options.

That's the crux of it Haf isn't it. Until he plays there's no evidence to prove otherwise.

As I've said when he finally plays I'll be willing him to do well and I'm certainly not shallow or sad enough to wish he doesn't perform because I've said I think he's shit, I'll ne the first to say I was wrong. I want him to well but I just don't see it happening.

I just don't fancy the lad, I don't think he's the greatest finisher, he gets into positions but is wasteful. Yes he has decent link up play but his end product is generally piss poor.

The thread went west when people said I was comparing him to Anichebe. I wasn't and was careful to point out I think they're totally different players. What I was trying to say is we needed a striker that could score us 20 a season and he isn't that striker. He'll get you 10-12 (probably) a season and that 's exactly what Anichebe would get (albeit in a different way) so why waste 6 million on him just for the same result?

Strikers are in the business of scoring goals, it's what they do. I'd of rather stuck with Anichebe for another season (even though he is a donkey) and saved the money for another window, added to it and bought someone much better.

Like him or not, Kones injury record isn't great he was. 30 at the time , no sell on value and was just a plug to fill a hole. We wasted 6 million on him and could have easily persevered with Anichebe for half a season or whatever.

Guest blueboy122

That's the crux of it Haf isn't it. Until he plays there's no evidence to prove otherwise.

As I've said when he finally plays I'll be willing him to do well and I'm certainly not shallow or sad enough to wish he doesn't perform because I've said I think he's shit, I'll ne the first to say I was wrong. I want him to well but I just don't see it happening.

I just don't fancy the lad, I don't think he's the greatest finisher, he gets into positions but is wasteful. Yes he has decent link up play but his end product is generally piss poor.

The thread went west when people said I was comparing him to Anichebe. I wasn't and was careful to point out I think they're totally different players. What I was trying to say is we needed a striker that could score us 20 a season and he isn't that striker. He'll get you 10-12 (probably) a season and that 's exactly what Anichebe would get (albeit in a different way) so why waste 6 million on him just for the same result?

Strikers are in the business of scoring goals, it's what they do. I'd of rather stuck with Anichebe for another season (even though he is a donkey) and saved the money for another window, added to it and bought someone much better.

Like him or not, Kones injury record isn't great he was. 30 at the time , no sell on value and was just a plug to fill a hole. We wasted 6 million on him and could have easily persevered with Anichebe for half a season or whatever.

You were comparing the stats of the two players and saying they both have the same end product.

That to me is comparing.

That's were your naivety shows Pad because there's a lot more to Kone's game than end product. He really is a team player.

When Kone did play for us he actually looked quite decent. His misses weren't anywhere near as bad as people made out. Didn't he hit a 20 yard drive across the bar in the same match? if that would have gone in I wonder what conversation we would all be having now?

Some of you didn't rate him before and that would probably have made little difference, but I wonder if it would have made a difference to the ones judging him on his two misses?

Funny but I do agree that if I was on the pitch I could have probably put those efforts away, but I watch Lukaku, Mirralas and Barkley and some of their misses and think exactly the same thing. What about Mirralas open goal a yard away that ended up being a great pull back for Lukaku? What about Barkley going on an amazing run and setting himself up for a near post tap in only to slice it out of the stadium? Are these players useless? of course not.

I do think this will apply to Kone too. Once he has a good run of games and we get to see the real player then I am sure he may change a few peoples minds. Not saying he will be competition for Rom, but I do think he can be able back-up for him.

You were comparing the stats of the two players and saying they both have the same end product.

That to me is comparing.

That's were your naivety shows Pad because there's a lot more to Kone's game than end product. He really is a team player.

Its not niavity though bb it's an opinion. Just the same as another poster liking say Gibson and another not.

I did say the stats were similar and they are. Chances created, goals scored are similar just Anichebe has played more games but I bet a lot of his are from the bench where as Kones will be from a starting place.

I never once compared them as players they're like chalk and cheese but both used as a main striker I think you will get similar end product in terms of goals scored and chances created

I just don't fancy him mate and that 's the opinion I have. Once he plays that may change but until he does it's not going to.

Its not niavity though bb it's an opinion. Just the same as another poster liking say Gibson and another not.

I did say the stats were similar and they are. Chances created, goals scored are similar just Anichebe has played more games but I bet a lot of his are from the bench where as Kones will be from a starting place.

I never once compared them as players they're like chalk and cheese but both used as a main striker I think you will get similar end product in terms of goals scored and chances created

I just don't fancy him mate and that 's the opinion I have. Once he plays that may change but until he does it's not going to.

Lol, I always get dragged into things inadvertently!

I actually thought Victor was a genuine talent. However his injury record and consistency just weren't up to scratch. I think there is more goals in Kone than Victor but they're similar in the fact that neither would get 20+ per season.

Lol, I always get dragged into things inadvertently!

I actually thought Victor was a genuine talent. However his injury record and consistency just weren't up to scratch. I think there is more goals in Kone than Victor but they're similar in the fact that neither would get 20+ per season.

I wasn't dragging you into anything inadvertently or otherwise. I have no idea why you would think That?

I used Gibson because in all circles he is a bone of contention. Nothing more nothing less.

Yes I was referring to you being proven right as a bad buy. You cant just use the fact the guy got injured as proof that he was a bad purchase, thats just unlucky or lucky depending on how you look at it.

I am using statistics to back up my point. Across 60 games Vic is roughly scoring 10-12, which is pretty much an odd goal here and there for a striker. Yes Vic probably hasnt played the full 90 minutes in those games but his impact off the bench is far greater than when he starts. Yes probability dictates if you play more you score more, but I would hazard a guess that Vic has scored as many goals from the bench than he has starting. Of course it matters who you play with as that will affect someone's stats. If Messi plays in a team of 10 year olds against Man Utd, he isnt going to score many goals or create many chances! A lone striker has far more work on his hands than playing alongside someone else.

The reason I used statistics was to back up the point that Kone does more than score goals. Bearing in mind his 5 appearances last season for us probably culminated in 30 mins of football, he still created 2 chances. In his last season with Wigan he played 34 times and created 41 chances scoring 11. That combination is better than most other strikers in the league, bar your Suarez, Aguero and Sturridges etc. They are not the stats of a 'garbage' player. They at the very least would suggest that he is more than just a goal scorer, would you not agree?

I have never said you cant have an opinion Paddock, but your reasoning is purely that he is shit for missing a couple of chances and getting injured. To me that's not an opinion, its ignorance.

Yes I was referring to you being proven right as a bad buy. You cant just use the fact the guy got injured as proof that he was a bad purchase, thats just unlucky or lucky depending on how you look at it.

I am using statistics to back up my point. Across 60 games Vic is roughly scoring 10-12, which is pretty much an odd goal here and there for a striker. Yes Vic probably hasnt played the full 90 minutes in those games but his impact off the bench is far greater than when he starts. Yes probability dictates if you play more you score more, but I would hazard a guess that Vic has scored as many goals from the bench than he has starting. Of course it matters who you play with as that will affect someone's stats. If Messi plays in a team of 10 year olds against Man Utd, he isnt going to score many goals or create many chances! A lone striker has far more work on his hands than playing alongside someone else.

The reason I used statistics was to back up the point that Kone does more than score goals. Bearing in mind his 5 appearances last season for us probably culminated in 30 mins of football, he still created 2 chances. In his last season with Wigan he played 34 times and created 41 chances scoring 11. That combination is better than most other strikers in the league, bar your Suarez, Aguero and Sturridges etc. They are not the stats of a 'garbage' player. They at the very least would suggest that he is more than just a goal scorer, would you not agree?

I have never said you cant have an opinion Paddock, but your reasoning is purely that he is shit for missing a couple of chances and getting injured. To me that's not an opinion, its ignorance.

Well you can have your opinion of me. I'm not really arsed if truth be known what you think and I 'm not going to repeat myself again and say why I don 't like him.

If you care to go back and re read I said I wasn't a fan when I watched him at Wigan so have not just based an opinion on him missing a few sitters and getting injured.

Point is, if you don't like my opinion, don 't read it it's that simple really.

This will also be the last time I post in this thread so maybe it's best left as it is.