IGNORED

Arouna Kone

I think he's quickly become the victim of some pretty over the top criticism, it all started with his transfer - £6m for a 29 year old when many wanted us to be a little more "spectacular".

From the off I think a couple of missed chances affected him, but I see a decent hard working player there.

I think he's quickly become the victim of some pretty over the top criticism, it all started with his transfer - £6m for a 29 year old when many wanted us to be a little more "spectacular".

From the off I think a couple of missed chances affected him, but I see a decent hard working player there.

I think most people criticisms, were partly justified based on his previous goal scoring credentials. The £6m for a 29 year old isn't a problem, when they are proven (or decent) like Remy.

Their issue stemmed from his apparent lack of goal scoring prowess. Not just his age and fee.

I think most people criticisms, were partly justified based on his previous goal scoring credentials. The £6m for a 29 year old isn't a problem, when they are proven (or decent) like Remy.

Their issue stemmed from his apparent lack of goal scoring prowess. Not just his age and fee.

I think his previous goal scoring credentials were ok to be honest. Barring his troubled stint at Sevilla he has averaged a decent return.

Personally I think he will offer a lot. A good work rate and excellent hold up play.

This more or less, but like Haf his previous record wasnt bad, for a backup striker at least.

I think the majority of criticisms stemmed from his age and were compounded when he missed a few sitters when it was easier to score. I include myself here.

New season, new chance. Im going to try and be a bit less emotional and judge him on what he does going forward.

He is the back up striker along with Naismith. I'm fully confident that he will change some opinions on here just like Naismith did.

If Lukaku gets injured for any length of time there is no goals in the side with those two to fall back on. I wouldn't be surprised if Kone was never truely fit again.

If Lukaku gets injured for any length of time there is no goals in the side with those two to fall back on. I wouldn't be surprised if Kone was never truely fit again.

Naismiths goals per game time ratio last season was better than Roms. Not saying he's a better goals scorer but the lad can finish,

I'm quite encouraged by the emergence of Long also, no doubt he will get some time when we are comfortable.

Naismiths goals per game time ratio last season was better than Roms. Not saying he's a better goals scorer but the lad can finish,

I'm quite encouraged by the emergence of Long also, no doubt he will get some time when we are comfortable.

Only time will tell I suppose but without Lukaku I don't see us having much of a threat up front. That was evident during pre season. Granted Kone wasn't there but personally I don't think we'll see much of him due to his fitness.

Naismith can do a job for a few games against lesser teams, but being in Europe and the demands of the league we need another striker. I don't think Kone's body can handle the game.

Long term Chris Long, David Hannan can be long term solutions. I think for the next couple of seasons we need a quality competition for Lukaku,

I am hopeful that we will sign someone else permanently and sign a couple on loan.

Only time will tell I suppose but without Lukaku I don't see us having much of a threat up front. That was evident during pre season. Granted Kone wasn't there but personally I don't think we'll see much of him due to his fitness.

I think a few players have been a little way off fitness pre season. Lets see how they do.

Naismith can do a job for a few games against lesser teams, but being in Europe and the demands of the league we need another striker. I don't think Kone's body can handle the game.

Long term Chris Long, David Hannan can be long term solutions. I think for the next couple of seasons we need a quality competition for Lukaku,

I am hopeful that we will sign someone else permanently and sign a couple on loan.

He did well when Lukaku was injured and scored against the big teams as well as the grittier teams throughout the season too:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=35605&season_id=143

When played as striker, the lad is a very good backup, which is why for me another forward is not a priority.

Am I missing something, has Kone got a real serious underlying injury issue?

I was under the Impression he is close to full fitness.

Kone has played in Europe before he came to Wigan, he can handle Europe as he has already proven himself.

Something to do with Cartlidge in his knee. A serious injury... Which takes a long time to heal. I really don't think we'll see him in the first team until October/November. A full 12months on the injury table.

As long as he spends the majority of time out of the starting 11 I'll be happy. That means the main man, Lukaku, is fit and firing.

Kone's not a good enough back up for Rom, IMO, but it is what it is.

That is my thoughts too and neither is Naismith. We need another striker for sure.

I don 't think we're gonna get one though not until he has had all month to look at Kone anyway so it'll be last minute if we do.

Something to do with Cartlidge in his knee. A serious injury... Which takes a long time to heal. I really don't think we'll see him in the first team until October/November. A full 12months on the injury table.

Isn't it usually a six month injury though?

I haven't been keeping up and maybe there were complications during his rehab, but surely he should be pretty much working on fitness now.

Isn't it usually a six month injury though?

I haven't been keeping up and maybe there were complications during his rehab, but surely he should be pretty much working on fitness now.

ACL/MCL is pretty serious stuff. 6 months would be a miracle. It's not like he has to go back to working in an office. It takes more time to get into peak physical condition for playing a sport at the highest level. Add to that the fact that he's no spring chicken. Never ever rush a knee injury back to the field. What's a few extra months if it means a few extra years, you know?

If Atsu proves himself good enough for a starting place which I think/hope he will we can always use Mirallas if need be as it is one of his previous positions

With McGeady Mirallas Atsu Pienaar and Oviedo we have options on either side and can utilise Mirallas further forward Pienaar more centrally etc which along with better quality which we now have the likes of Naismith and Kone when fit can or will hopefully benefit from

Edited by EFC-Paul

Guest blueboy122

Some peoples opinions on here are embarrassing.

Kone was brilliant for Wigan the season we bought him.

Not sure how anybody can justify him being shit?

Is it because he hasn't been built up as a world class player by the papers? Or didn't get a 2 minute real from Mark Lawrenson?

How people can formulate such a negative opinion of a player who has hardly played and missed two good chances is beyond me when he has been pretty good everywhere he has been.

Naïve is an understand statement in this thread.

Is it because he hasn't been built up as a world class player by the papers? Or didn't get a 2 minute real from Mark Lawrenson?

How people can formulate such a negative opinion of a player who has hardly played and missed two good chances is beyond me when he has been pretty good everywhere he has been.

Amen. 12 goals for Wigan is way better than jelavic, naisy, anichebe, etc

Haters gonna hate, I think he will have a great year and could be a real threat in all the cup matches.

My main criticism of the Kone signing was the 6m price we paid for him, the guys 30 years old and will have absolutely no sell on value. he's had a few decent seasons across Europe but has done nothing to justify a 6m price tag. he cost Wigan 2.5m the seasn we signed him also. Him getting injured was unfortnate but he's just after gettign a very serious knee injury, who knows what sort of a player we'll be getting back if he gets fit. 6m a ridiculous price for him, lazy signing from martinez, very much the same way as the alcaraz and robles signings haven't done anything to bolster our squad. with 6m we should have invested in an up and coming striker who we can develop. 6m is alot of money, can't see kone developing any more atfer reaching his age and after his knee injury.

I thought he was shit before he came to Everton, before we were even linked to him so just because he now plays (that in itself being comical ) for us doesn't change my opinion.

My main criticism of the Kone signing was the 6m price we paid for him, the guys 30 years old and will have absolutely no sell on value. he's had a few decent seasons across Europe but has done nothing to justify a 6m price tag. he cost Wigan 2.5m the seasn we signed him also. Him getting injured was unfortnate but he's just after gettign a very serious knee injury, who knows what sort of a player we'll be getting back if he gets fit. 6m a ridiculous price for him, lazy signing from martinez, very much the same way as the alcaraz and robles signings haven't done anything to bolster our squad. with 6m we should have invested in an up and coming striker who we can develop. 6m is alot of money, can't see kone developing any more atfer reaching his age and after his knee injury.

Missed this until it was reposted..

Absolutely spot on this.