IGNORED

Arouna Kone

I'd currently start Kone over Jelavic. We don't know how well Kone can play, and he still is likely adjusting to his new team. He hasn't looked very good so far, and I've ragged on him a fair bit, but the jury is still out on him. Jelavic's goalscoring record of one goal in the past 25 league matches is so atrocious that I couldn't fathom starting him against Chelsea if I were RM. That being said, I bet Lukaku becomes our primary man up front after the Chelsea match.

Just a bit of a vote:

Anichebe (6m) or Kone (6m) ?!

Considering ages etc.

Not sure I could choose at the moment, Vic was showing signs last season of developing into a good player, but then he has flattered to deceive before, never worth £6M though

I have never really rated Kone but I think we need to give him a chance to bed in before we write him off, never worth £6M though!

Given that we now have Lukaku for a season as a target man I would probably edge towards Kone ,

• 1 month later...

“I would rather see players get in the right positions and miss the chances than do OK and not get in the area you want a striker to be in. I was happy with his contribution."

Never a truer word said... Jelavic just wasn't getting that done. What I like about Kone is that he doesn't look to get rid or take a rushed shot straight away, all strikers can go through periods of not finding the net. I don't see it being a long term problem with this lad.

“I would rather see players get in the right positions and miss the chances than do OK and not get in the area you want a striker to be in. I was happy with his contribution."

Never a truer word said... Jelavic just wasn't getting that done. What I like about Kone is that he doesn't look to get rid or take a rushed shot straight away, all strikers can go through periods of not finding the net. I don't see it being a long term problem with this lad.

Jela has worked hard in every game but got carried away contributing to the team rather than concentrating on his position and when he was, the service he received was shite.

When I played in the Southern Californian Sunday league I once went three games without scoring and I could sense some of my team-mates were thinking my halo had slipped < over 200 goals in eleven seasons but who's counting>. I found my form again by contributing assists, working hard and waiting for the inevitable tap-in to get me firing again. Once Kone gets one my granny couldn't miss he will be off and running. I like him

Jela has worked hard in every game but got carried away contributing to the team rather than concentrating on his position and when he was, the service he received was shite.

This is often the case of strikers when they've been Moyserized... in the words of arguably the most talented striker we have had in years:-

"At Everton, he wanted a big volume of work from the striker. He wanted me to press more, run the channels, run the lines - in other words, be the first defender of the team.

"That's quite tough to do, especially when you need to also concentrate on finishing your chances as a striker.

"It's physically demanding and it's not easy to do this for more than 35 games a season."

That was Louis Saha...

When I played in the Southern Californian Sunday league I once went three games without scoring and I could sense some of my team-mates were thinking my halo had slipped < over 200 goals in eleven seasons but who's counting>. I found my form again by contributing assists, working hard and waiting for the inevitable tap-in to get me firing again. Once Kone gets one my granny couldn't miss he will be off and running. I like him

he had that..i hope he will come good..i really do

he had that..i hope he will come good..i really do

I actually think all out of form strikers fear those "sitters"... we've all been there. I think being a striker is like being a goalkeeper, you must be a little "nutty" - almost like you are blameless, incapable of being anything other than the best. Southall, Grobelaar, and Schmichael had it as keepers... Shearer, Fowler, RVN had it as strikers.

... Jelavic just wasn't getting that done.

Absolute bollocks. Jelavic did EXACTLY that but wasn't scoring. That was his problem.

Kone is Jelavic MK II.

Hits purple patches (Jelavic - when he arrived, Kone - at Wigan). but for the most part, aren't that good, as out and out strikers. Was hoping Jelavic would turn it round but I don't think he will. Kone...just isn't that good.

Sign him up!!

I once scored all four in a 4-1 win as a lad, it was the white Alan Ball boots that did it (was a right winger so I didn't usually score too many, twelve in a season was my best) :).

Absolute bollocks. Jelavic did EXACTLY that but wasn't scoring. That was his problem.

Kone is Jelavic MK II.

Hits purple patches (Jelavic - when he arrived, Kone - at Wigan). but for the most part, aren't that good, as out and out strikers. Was hoping Jelavic would turn it round but I don't think he will. Kone...just isn't that good.

Jelavic gave the impression he was a clinical finisher... Kone has never given that illusion. Kone is better in his work on the ball versus Jelvic, who unless he doesn't have time to think tends to waste opportunities.

I feel that Kone's strength and pace and all round play will enable him to score goals, Jelavic relied on others,

Jelavic gave the impression he was a clinical finisher... Kone has never given that illusion. Kone is better in his work on the ball versus Jelvic, who unless he doesn't have time to think tends to waste opportunities.

I feel that Kone's strength and pace and all round play will enable him to score goals, Jelavic relied on others,

he is a clinical finisher, he had a stat of something like 42/46 goals being 1st touch! Kone never gave that impression for a reason and I fear he is the same as Rodallega - feisty, strong, and put a fair few away for a team that saw him as the only outlet, and because he was the only outlet, he looked like a big fish in small pond when in fact (sorry Wigan fans) he was a small fish in a puddle.

I think I need to clarify my point - Jelavic game is purely as a finisher... pretty much in the way Owen was, without that touch its all perceived effort. "he's worked hard". His dip has gone too far to be anything other than a "busted flush" - joining the likes of shevchenko and torres as "how can they just lose it?"

Kone is more an attacking player as opposed to striker - someone who can operate on the flanks, drop deep, hold the ball up, take a man on. Pretty much in the way you can see Rooney operate when he is not the main striker and certainly not at the same level but hey he was £6m.

Kone will score goals 10-16 a season, but will contribute more to the team than Jelavic, see more of the ball and cause more problems for theopponenst defence. He can't be a busted flush because he has never been prolific - he does what it says on the tin.

Kone is Jelavic MK II.

Kone has had a lot of purple patches then!

it sounds like you want kone to be a moyes striker..the style we are adapting to would surely suit a striker who relies on others?

Completely the opposite. We need a striker to find space, take a touch and lay it off to someone else and then get himself in on goal. Which he does and does pretty well. Jelavic doesnt but he is probably the better finisher but wont create as many chances himself or help create as many chances for the team.

Completely the opposite. We need a striker to find space, take a touch and lay it off to someone else and then get himself in on goal. Which he does and does pretty well. Jelavic doesnt but he is probably the better finisher but wont create as many chances himself or help create as many chances for the team.

don't understand the striker creating the chances thing..i want a striker to put away the chances...why should a striker find space to make a chance for someone else to create a chance? i'd understand that in a formation with 2 strikers but when we only play 1 i want that striker to be in the box...we have 5 midfielders...creative ones at that...they make the chances

don't understand the striker creating the chances thing..i want a striker to put away the chances...why should a striker find space to make a chance for someone else to create a chance? i'd understand that in a formation with 2 strikers but when we only play 1 i want that striker to be in the box...we have 5 midfielders...creative ones at that...they make the chances

I think when you play a 4-5-1 type formation the striker is expected to contribute more in the run of play, as contradictory as they may look on paper. You'd want him to be able to play with his back to goal and create chances for other players but also be the main shooting outlet on the counter-attack.

I always expect a striker in a 4-5-1 to be a more well-rounded player. I guess it really comes down to the manager's tactics and his expectations though.

In a formation with 2 strikers they'd probably need less ability to contribute to the build up play, mostly because most 4-4-2 teams play very direct. Go deep early, get crosses in and have two strikers prying in the box. A very "British" game if you will. The centre forwards always have another striker with them to get to the second ball, plus your stereotypical English 4-4-2 has fast and strong athletes running box to box to join in from midfield.

In a more continental, possession-based style with just 1 centre forward, the striker needs to be able to keep the ball himself so he needs strength and a good first touch to shield the ball and to relay it back to midfielders who need him to be an option to receive the ball and protect it, so they can play it forward, to give another passing option when they have the ball. An ability to turn forward facing the goal when they receive it, taking defenders out of the game by dribbling and thus creating space and opportunities for himself and others is also a plus.

When? One season at Wigan?

He's had 5 seasons scoring more than 10 league goals in Holland, Spain and England. And he'd probably have had more if not for injuries basically keeping him out for a couple of seasons.

In a more continental, possession-based style with just 1 centre forward, the striker needs to be able to keep the ball himself so he needs strength and a good first touch to shield the ball and to relay it back to midfielders who need him to be an option to receive the ball and protect it, so they can play it forward, to give another passing option when they have the ball. An ability to turn forward facing the goal when they receive it, taking defenders out of the game by dribbling and thus creating space and opportunities for himself and others is also a plus.

That's pretty much what he did when hitting the post on Saturday.

I think we are missing a trick by not playing both Lukaku and Kone / Jelavic.

Kone might have missed a few chances, but he put himself in a position to get them. The same goes for Naismith. He got straight into the game and almost scored.

Sometimes the players you least think about are the ones needed to complete the puzzle.

I think we are missing a trick by not playing both Lukaku and Kone / Jelavic.

Kone might have missed a few chances, but he put himself in a position to get them. The same goes for Naismith. He got straight into the game and almost scored.

Sometimes the players you least think about are the ones needed to complete the puzzle.

I would like to see a 4-4-2 with Kone and Lukaku also. It may well come when Barkley needs a rest.

I am a big Kone fan and still believe he was a good buy -

similar player to Denver Ba - same thing happened to Ba when he went to Chelsea -

both players will walk into any side in the bottom half of the table -

Lukaku is something special - can't blame Kone for that - but that is what stands in his way at the moment -

my gut feel says Lukaku and Kone could form a devastating strike force hunting as a pair -

you go Kone my boytjie - show them a thing or two !!!