IGNORED

Arouna Kone

To be honest, I've always thought fully fit means you're physically ready to play but then you need games to be match fit.

They are and always have been two different things.

Look at it like you train every day in the gym with a mate, you both do the same routine, eat similar , lift the same weights, same cardio etc but he plays squash 3 times a week for 6 weeks as well. You go and try and play squash with him and for a few weeks you wont get anywhere near him because he will be sharp and tuned to it. Your fitness levels may be similar but sharpness and reading of the game can be way off.

Hate to bring up football games but Shukes did reference it as being a football term and that fully fit was not as fit as match fit.You can be match fit on FM manager but not "fully fit".

All players that are "fully fit" on FM are at 100% condition. Players that are "match fit" can range from 92% - 100%

You can't change the dictionary either, full means full.

Edited by MC11

You can get fit in a gym however you need games to get match fit. I'm amazed that you've never heard the expression before tbh

Now you're using the word "fit" rather than "Fully fit".

I've heard both expressions and always known that you can be match fit without being fully fit.

Edited by MC11

There's a clear difference in the two for me

Anyone who's played any sport in particular for me footie or boxed will know after a short lay off there's a big difference when playing 90 mins or sparring you'll be blowing out of your arse after a couple of rounds or 45 mins regardless of how high your fitness level is prior.

There's a clear difference in the two for me

Anyone who's played any sport in particular for me footie or boxed will know after a short lay off there's a big difference when playing 90 mins or sparring you'll be blowing out of your arse after a couple of rounds or 45 mins regardless of how high your fitness level is prior.

If you're blowing out your arse you're not fully fit.

If you used the words "match sharpness" I could understand..... But that would only relate to ball control, positioning and getting used to the game again after a period out. No matter how you try to dress it up if you're fully fit you can't get any fitter. So I don't agree you'd be blowing out your arse. As I've said unless fully fit now means 90% fitness then ok.

Something like he's fully fit but lacking match sharpness I've heard before.

Edited by MC11

In fact match fit is below fully fit!

Players are very rarely at 100% condition especially after an injury. it takes game time to get "fully fit" (100%).

Players are considered match fit at about 90%! Some shite gets chatted on here.

Don't rely on football manager for your definitions

I've been more match fit weighing heavier, with more body fat than I have in my best shape.

If match fitness needs explaining to you you then there is no point.

Football manager can have all the definitions they want. Match fitness is the reason you have pre season games. Otherwise why not just keep running the players till they spew.

If you're blowing out your arse you're not fully fit.

If you used the words "match sharpness" I could understand..... But that would only relate to ball control, positioning and getting used to the game again after a period out. No matter how you try to dress it up if you're fully fit you can't get any fitter. So I don't agree you'd be blowing out your arse. As I've said unless fully fit now means 90% fitness then ok.

Something like he's fully fit but lacking match sharpness I've heard before.

I'll agree on the match sharpness that is a better way of wording it but it simply means the same thing and I'm sure when most people use the term they are including sharpness etc into it

Trust me you can run skip work out as much as you like for as long as you like there is a difference in performing an action within a game/match to simulating it I used boxing as an example because in my eyes its the best sport to use as a reference albeit we are talking about football but the same rule applies

I've been more match fit weighing heavier, with more body fat than I have in my best shape.

If match fitness needs explaining to you you then there is no point.

Football manager can have all the definitions they want. Match fitness is the reason you have pre season games. Otherwise why not just keep running the players till they spew.

The term you're looking for is "medically fit". You can't get fitter than fully fit.

Don't rely on football manager for your definitions

Far from relying on it. It's just common sense. It takes game time to fully fit. Therefore you can be match fit without being fully fit. Not the other way round. There's no point me saying anymore. Except the English dictionary backs me up.... You can't use the word full for anything other than full!

The term you're looking for is "medically fit". You can't get fitter than fully fit.

Ok wind it in now. Talking bollocks as per usual. Medically fit means you have no health issues.

We can see what you have done...made a statement. People disagree, use Google and the only thing you find is a gaming website forum where fully fit means higher than match fit.

Match fit means what it is. Fit for match conditions.

Recovering players can have better bleep test results than match fit players, show better fitness levels than match fit players yet they can't do 90 minutes and appear rusty. Explain....

The answer has been given to you.

Ok wind it in now. Talking bollocks as per usual. Medically fit means you have no health issues.

We can see what you have done...made a statement. People disagree, use Google and the only thing you find is a gaming website forum where fully fit means higher than match fit.

Match fit means what it is. Fit for match conditions.

Recovering players can have better bleep test results than match fit players, show better fitness levels than match fit players yet they can't do 90 minutes and appear rusty. Explain....

The answer has been given to you.

lol saying you can be fully fit but not able to get through 90 minutes is bollocks Haf. If you can't get through 90 minutes you're not fully fit are you?

As I've said players can be match fit but not fully fit. It takes game time to get fully fit... Which is a match isn't it?

To be fair MC, when you start referencing a computer game...you've blown your own argument! As good a game as it is, it's limited to a set of codes!

In real life, in 'football speak'...and that's the key part of the debate...'football speak'...the 2 terms are deliberately used to define a difference. Remember, we are talking top level professional football not Sunday league pub football.

It does seem a bit daft and contradicting in a way, but it's the traditional way.

I can see that you've got your information from the FM game/forum. I think the way they structure it is just for gaming reasons. Everything has to have a 'title'.

I'm sure in 'real life football', you'll hear managers talk about players being fully fit after an injury and ready to play but now needing games to be match fit and/or up to speed.

I guess if you take 'fully fit' literally it has to mean 100%, and you can't get more than 100%. But again, that only refers to 'physical fitness' maybe?

God...I'm confusing myself here...If only life was as simple as a game!!! Be a bit boring though.

To be fair MC, when you start referencing a computer game...you've blown your own argument! As good a game as it is, it's limited to a set of codes!

In real life, in 'football speak'...and that's the key part of the debate...'football speak'...the 2 terms are deliberately used to define a difference. Remember, we are talking top level professional football not Sunday league pub football.

It does seem a bit daft and contradicting in a way, but it's the traditional way.

I can see that you've got your information from the FM game/forum. I think the way they structure it is just for gaming reasons. Everything has to have a 'title'.

I'm sure in 'real life football', you'll hear managers talk about players being fully fit after an injury and ready to play but now needing games to be match fit and/or up to speed.

I guess if you take 'fully fit' literally it has to mean 100%, and you can't get more than 100%. But again, that only refers to 'physical fitness' maybe?

God...I'm confusing myself here...If only life was as simple as a game!!! Be a bit boring though.

To be honest mate, I've never heard a manager come out and say "he's fully fit but not match fit" EVER. The phrase is so contradicting... That's why I picked up on it.

To be honest mate, I've never heard a manager come out and say "he's fully fit but not match fit" EVER. The phrase is so contradicting... That's why I picked up on it.

You know, you might have a point.

Maybe the word 'fully' should be removed. Maybe it's a 'he's fit to play but needs game time' kind of thing.

We'll be listening to manager interviews more closely now, won't we?!!!

You know, you might have a point.

Maybe the word 'fully' should be removed. Maybe it's a 'he's fit to play but needs game time' kind of thing.

We'll be listening to manager interviews more closely now, won't we?!!!

He's fit to play = he's fully fit

He needs games = match fitness

Clearly different things to me. Fully fit is you're able to compete on the field, without putting yourself at risk of repeating the injury that put you out. Match fit is getting up to speed, getting more finesse, that mental sharpness that only can improve in a competitive game.

He's fit to play = he's fully fit

He needs games = match fitness

Clearly different things to me. Fully fit is you're able to compete on the field, without putting yourself at risk of repeating the injury that put you out. Match fit is getting up to speed, getting more finesse, that mental sharpness that only can improve in a competitive game.

Best explanation yet.

End of discussion.

Now is Kone fully fit, match fit, match sharp or just a good looking chap?