IGNORED

Arouna Kone

No surprises for me. He stood out for Wigan playing the lone striker role and gave partnerships like jags and heitinga the run arou.

For some reason he has been tainted as some sort of Shaun goater, emile heskey type player.

My only concern was his injury but top marks to the lad, covered loads of yards and was quality on the ball.

Got motm..no major surprise but think it's a bit harsh on Garbutt..would like to see him played with lukaku reckon it would work well

I think it will work well in the sense of, "This is what you are meant to be doing - now get making runs!!" - it will also work in the sense of that the players can hit Kone and know it will stick - too often we see the ball get sent to Lukaku and players are tentive to push forward in case he loses it.

Lukaku can make runs off Kone - midfielders and full backs can advance knowing that the ball will be retained. In short Kone does the things that Lukaku can't.

I knew Kone was strong - but he looked extremely strong last night - we miss that up front.

That's what I mean..clear kone is better at holding the ball up..Make more space for lukaku who will put the ball in the net given half a chance..gotta be worth a try

Similarly - put Ross in centre mid alongside McCarthy for certain games - make him learn the positional importance and the need to look after the ball.

By having players to compliment others shortfalls it possibly equates to having one or two less players compared to all round teams like Chelsea where their players are more rounded - for example Costa can link play, dribble, score, work the channels. Fabregas can get stuck in pass and score.

Got to say i'm delighted for Kone - to perform like he did last night shows how much work he has put in to getting fit.

Must admit was very surprised how fit he looked...fair play to him..you'd think being out that long he'd look out of shape

i think unlike other players (barry, baines) he let Kone get to full fitness before bringing him back. He played the whole 90 last night and looked fine. Might be a little gassed from a prem match, but I'm glad he's back and ready to start scoring, we need him.

i think unlike other players (barry, baines) he let Kone get to full fitness before bringing him back. He played the whole 90 last night and looked fine. Might be a little gassed from a prem match, but I'm glad he's back and ready to start scoring, we need him.

Full fitness and match fitness are different. All were fully fit, just not match fit.

Ey? How can you be "fully fit" but not "match fit" lmao.

."

In Roberto-speak-land, the are multiple levels of fitness. Here, fully fit might mean medically sound, no longer unfit. Whereas, match fit might mean now available to play in a match. In Roberto-speak, however, there's also probably a distinction between match fit and fully match fit, the latter, perhaps, signifying the player can play 70-90 minutes.

."

In Roberto-speak-land, the are multiple levels of fitness. Here, fully fit might mean medically sound, no longer unfit. Whereas, match fit might mean now available to play in a match. In Roberto-speak, however, there's also probably a distinction between match fit and fully match fit, the latter, perhaps, signifying the player can play 70-90 minutes.

Well Roberto speaks bollocks :). If you're "fully" fit you're ready for anything.

Fully fit = no injuries, cardiovascular fit.

Match fit = sharp, able to recover from bursts of energy quicker, able to endure 90 minutes.

A player with no injuries can go and run 5km in 20 minutes or whatever in training and be classed as fully fit.

A player who is fully fit may be found blowing after a 30 yard Sprint in a match and unable to have the little extra in the tank to take a player on if he gets the ball again after 20 seconds. That player is lacking match fitness. Match fitness also relates to being able to mentally adapt to the game and show sharpness.

Fully fit = no injuries, cardiovascular fit.

Match fit = sharp, able to recover from bursts of energy quicker, able to endure 90 minutes.

A player with no injuries can go and run 5km in 20 minutes or whatever in training and be classed as fully fit.

A player who is fully fit may be found blowing after a 30 yard Sprint in a match and unable to have the little extra in the tank to take a player on if he gets the ball again after 20 seconds. That player is lacking match fitness. Match fitness also relates to being able to mentally adapt to the game and show sharpness.

This is Martinez context! (Bollocks talk)

Fully fit means fully fit - ready for anything!

Yep, as far as I have always known, in football speak, 'fully fit' after injury or pre season etc generally means you're ready for games/recovered from injury (physical attributes)...then match fitness adds the other attributes you need to perform at your highest level (mental attributes).

It's nothing to with Roberto. It's a football term that's been being used far before I was born.

I know plenty of fitness fanatics that are fitter than most pro footballers.

But they couldn't play 90 minutes of a football match and be as sharp as match fit footballer.

Match fit is having that sharpness and edge to your game. It's about your reading as well as your touch and reactions.