IGNORED

Rooney

I'd take him back in a flash but the terms would have to be massively in our favour which is very unlikely

At his age and the way the media and fans are banging on of late I wouldn't be surprised to see him elsewhere in the near future

I'd like to start seeing him playing in the Gerrard esq type role/position for England his attributes and work rate etc would really suite it imo

Edited by EFC-Paul

• 1 month later...

OK..... had a message from my mate who is a big united fan, story is Rooney is coming in January. He's not injured - apparently to do with alcohol in system when turning up for training.

I think they will try and get stones or lukaku as part of the deal, for me that doesn't need to happen. If Rooney is done there, then he will not be allowed to earn £300k sat on the bench or in the stand. He's too big a personality to have in the training ground and not be involved - Van Gaal will want him gone.

For me Everton could enhance his career, he needs a change I think. We could do with a player who barks and cajoles the others.

I think Rooney would be a fantastic influence to the younger lads. BE a great off the bench (hehe yeah right) option for Rom.

Would take him. Not at his current wage. Would have to be a significant drop.

Might even convince some to stay....

He needs Everton more than we need him though but I wouldn't be against the deal.

I wouldn't take him for either of those 2, and I don't think Roberto would either.

Ironically, I actually think keeping those two will encourage Rooney to force the move to us - he will want the lure of delivering a trophy for Everton and without decent players I feel he will just coast along.

United aren't in a strong position, his transfer value is zero as most clubs know he is on far too much money and saving the wages alone will do for United - thats aside from the fact that he could be a disruptive force.

We are in a very strong position, Rooney can say "make the move to Everton happy or continue to pay me £300k" - he will likely get a pay off into the bargain. We may give them first option on a player but that's about it.

I think Rooney would be a fantastic influence to the younger lads. BE a great off the bench (hehe yeah right) option for Rom.

Would take him. Not at his current wage. Would have to be a significant drop.

Might even convince some to stay....

He needs Everton more than we need him though but I wouldn't be against the deal.

the wages will be the telling point - he will likely get a pay off and added to the money he has already earned somewhere in the region of £100m+.

He has the opportunity to make some positive impact for Everton. Basically he doesn't need money - he has unfinished business and that may feel more rewarding that £150k+ a week.

OK..... had a message from my mate who is a big united fan, story is Rooney is coming in January. He's not injured - apparently to do with alcohol in system when turning up for training.

I think they will try and get stones or lukaku as part of the deal, for me that doesn't need to happen. If Rooney is done there, then he will not be allowed to earn £300k sat on the bench or in the stand. He's too big a personality to have in the training ground and not be involved - Van Gaal will want him gone.

For me Everton could enhance his career, he needs a change I think. We could do with a player who barks and cajoles the others.

I'll believe it when I see it!

Quite torn on whether it'd actually be a good move if it were to happen. He looks finished but being back at the club he loves (he brought Kai to the game last night apparently) could revitalise him.

If we can get him to take a 70% decrease in wages and if we can the convince our 4 youngsters not to go anywhere for at least 1 more season, then I'm all for it. But, I don't want Rom, John, Geri or Ross as part of any deal whatsoever

Yeah I'm with you matt. Also where would he play? The 10 with Barkley deep. Or deep with Barkley 10? Or forward in 433 with rom and Gerry?

I would not be a fan, unless (i) we don't give up any crown jewels, and (ii) he accepts a wage cut of 80%. There must be a certain attraction for him to return. Everton, it seems, remains the team in his heart. Plus, we play much much more attractive football than United. As for losing his England place, that would never happen. Having lost his legs or not, he's seen by virtually everyone in Britain as the team's talisman. Roy would be out before fans accept Rooney on the England bench.

If Rooney comes here He'd play as a 10 where he's most influential. That would mean Ross either playing out wide. (Martinez philosophy) or playing deeper! I can't see a Rooney coming yet. Especially in January

I don't see it ever happening personally. Fantasy (vault me).

I think we should let sleeping dogs lie. Rooney has three years left or so on a 200k a week deal. Then his transfer fee would be around £15 mill. Not happening. Nor would I want it. My memories of Rooney should remain that. I was in the park end when he scored against arsenal, I was in the main stand when he made his debut against Spurs. I stopped playing football after that because I thought what's the point when a 16 year old can do that? I want a young vibrant team, not that I think Rooney can't add to us but at what expense?

This is a ludicrous argument. Rooney is still world class. He is suffering from the LVG effect like the rest of the squad. Surely Rooney could do 5x the job Kone does as "LW/ST". Anyone saying they dont want Rooney is completely insane. Boyhood evertonian would never risk the clubs financial position, if he comes back its because he wants to and he will play for the crest not the wages.

• 5 months later...

In light of expected player departures and the need for new Everton Leaders, is a re-signing such a bad idea? Is it even possible that the fans would forgive & forget!

12months ago I was dead against this but the signs of a Rooney return are undeniable. If Lukaku goes on a player plus cash deal (even though man utd aren't in the champions league), and Rooneys re-invention/re-invigoration as a deep lying forward/midfielder, this might be a goer. I don't believe for a second he'd want the same wages or that its a like for like replacement but does seem plausible.

Player + £30-40Mil?

Mind you if we are dealing with that nob-head Woodward and Stretford - I suspect Rooney won't have much involvement anyway...

We need a manager sorted asap... Euro 2016 is a major scouting opportunity!