IGNORED

Board/Owners Related Stuff

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Can’t honestly see the problem with it myself, I think having football people on the Board is a step in the right direction

Out of Sharp, Denise, Bill and Moshiri my money is on Sharpie having the most footballing knowledge

I think peoples issue with it, and mine anyway, is that as much as we need people on the board we need people with business sense. Football business ideally. Now if this is the first of a few appointments then great, but if not then he’s just a show pony. 

No doubt he has football knowledge, but the board don’t line up on the pitch on Saturday afternoon. They run the company, they haven’t done a great job of it. Maybe the lack of footballing knowledge has been the problem, but I’m not convinced a man who’s not been managing, coaching, scouting or anything other than being a club ambassador for quite some time is going to bring football knowledge to the table. 

I have no problems with one of the old boys getting a job if they are one of the best candidates for it. Having a knowledge of Everton can be a bonus, but also fresh eyes can be just as important.

I have no idea what credentials he has that make him suited to that role at the club. He is either a dark horse and has more going for him that I imagine has or he is a token gesture appointment. 

Just now, Bailey said:

I have no problems with one of the old boys getting a job if they are one of the best candidates for it. Having a knowledge of Everton can be a bonus, but also fresh eyes can be just as important.

I have no idea what credentials he has that make him suited to that role at the club. He is either a dark horse and has more going for him that I imagine has or he is a token gesture appointment. 

It’s great Bailey, we’ve got a manager who knows the city and a board member who knows the club. Sorry, couldn’t resist. 

43 minutes ago, StevO said:

I think peoples issue with it, and mine anyway, is that as much as we need people on the board we need people with business sense. Football business ideally. Now if this is the first of a few appointments then great, but if not then he’s just a show pony. 

No doubt he has football knowledge, but the board don’t line up on the pitch on Saturday afternoon. They run the company, they haven’t done a great job of it. Maybe the lack of footballing knowledge has been the problem, but I’m not convinced a man who’s not been managing, coaching, scouting or anything other than being a club ambassador for quite some time is going to bring football knowledge to the table. 

We have a billionaire businessman in charge , two if you count Usmanov, not to mention people like Grant Ingles , DBB and Richard Kenyon. Off the field I think the club is progressing pretty well so I don’t think business minds are the issue

For me it’s the actual footballing decisions were we are a cluster fuck. Sharp knows the game and knows the club so I don’t see that as a band thing at all

If he is going to be a yes man then it’s pointless but I guess we will just have to wait and see but as I say for me getting some football knowledge in the Boardroom is definitely a step in the right direction

41 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

We have a billionaire businessman in charge , two if you count Usmanov, not to mention people like Grant Ingles , DBB and Richard Kenyon. Off the field I think the club is progressing pretty well so I don’t think business minds are the issue

For me it’s the actual footballing decisions were we are a cluster fuck. Sharp knows the game and knows the club so I don’t see that as a band thing at all

If he is going to be a yes man then it’s pointless but I guess we will just have to wait and see but as I say for me getting some football knowledge in the Boardroom is definitely a step in the right direction

Do you think Graeme Sharp will have an influence over Moshiri? Bill Kenwright struggles to influence him, I don’t have much faith Sharp will. 

4 minutes ago, StevO said:

Do you think Graeme Sharp will have an influence over Moshiri? Bill Kenwright struggles to influence him, I don’t have much faith Sharp will. 

I’ve never met him so have no idea what his thought process is or whether or not he is prepared to listen to good advice but I’m hoping he is savvy enough to realise that having spent half a billion over nearly 6 wasted years to take us backwards that he has realised things can’t go on as they are

Im hoping the review that’s underway is genuine and that this is just the first step of the overhaul that is needed and is long overdue

I may well be hoping for too much but I just like the idea of having people who know football having an input on The Board

21 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I’ve never met him so have no idea what his thought process is or whether or not he is prepared to listen to good advice but I’m hoping he is savvy enough to realise that having spent half a billion over nearly 6 wasted years to take us backwards that he has realised things can’t go on as they are

Im hoping the review that’s underway is genuine and that this is just the first step of the overhaul that is needed and is long overdue

I may well be hoping for too much but I just like the idea of having people who know football having an input on The Board

I think your first paragraph answered the question. He’s been doing it for six years, I have little faith that Graeme Sharp is the man to make him change his spots.  

5 minutes ago, StevO said:

I think your first paragraph answered the question. He’s been doing it for six years, I have little faith that Graeme Sharp is the man to make him change his spots.  

I wonder if Benitez has had some say in this to use him as his voice in board meetings when team affairs are being discussed to free him of having to attend boardroom meetings that are discussing team matters, because I can’t see the benefit he will bring as a director. 

Wonder if they just wanted to fill a seat?  The board is bare bones.  Unsure if they could have gotten rid of another person right?  So maybe Sharp coming in will allow them to drop another person? Like Denise? etc.  Maybe something like that will happen during the strategic review?  Or maybe it is wishful thinking on my part.

17 hours ago, plaidharper said:

Wonder if they just wanted to fill a seat?  The board is bare bones.  Unsure if they could have gotten rid of another person right?  So maybe Sharp coming in will allow them to drop another person? Like Denise? etc.  Maybe something like that will happen during the strategic review?  Or maybe it is wishful thinking on my part.

You may be right. I think there was only Bill and Denise on the board after Brands left, and there has to be three as a minimum. 

Believe it when I see it.

If the names that have come up as "being interviewed" are true then I'm not seeing any particular strategy thus far.

While in the past I wans't particularly fussed by the DOF position I think it is something we really need someone in now and someone that can be strong enough to ensure that he gets his views across and is able to properly manage the football side of the "business".

The way I see a good director of football working.

The board/CEO will give the DOF their vision for the club and then allow the DOF to push that through.  That should be form the ground up ideally getting a clear footballing identity that should be implemented from the youth team up by hiring coaches that match that idea (ie like Barcelona have done for years), through the scouting network who he should over see to look for players that match those ideas and attitudes and through being involved in manager hiring to ensure that whoever is signed can meet that ideal and work in the way that we want to go forward.

It is through this that you can avoid constant clear outs of players every time you change manager and the team trying to completely change how they play.

Whether Brands tried and failed to do this I don't know but someone needs to be allowed to do that job 

49 minutes ago, c1982 said:

A step in the right direction re. communication…

More of this in the future please. Transparency is important, especially when things seem so bad.

I don't think shareholders will be particularly happy with the changes he's informing them about though. An intention to alter the Articles of Association and increase his shareholding, which will mean minor shareholders will no longer be able to call an AGM to hold the club to account or have any voice.

Smacks of a man that knows the fanbase are questioning and is closing things up, not opening them up like he's suggesting.

12 minutes ago, FairWooney said:

exactly, he's adding more money by taking more shares so less people have a say and getting some comms in to shut try to counter the stick he's getting across the fan base.

Fans are the lifeblood of the Club and only by working together can we deliver the success we all long for. With that in mind, I am fully supportive of the work the Board and our CEO are doing in conjunction with key fan groups to put in place a Fan Advisory Board with representation at Board level. The Club is moving forward with its discussions with fan groups to ensure the voice of ALL Evertonians can be heard through a robust structure for the future. We will also introduce a series of regular events that will be accessible to all fans, enabling open and clear dialogue with the Club’s senior leaders.”

This surely is a step in the right direction then - certainly the idea - what it looks like in reality, we’ll see.