IGNORED

Stevenage (CoC)

pete0

Scare there. Onwards and upwards, let's hope Fulham aren't taking this Cup too seriously. Stevenage put up a tough battle, hats off to them. We should see more of Delly, but I wouldn't have him in the starting 11 week in week out JUST yet, give him some time to adapt and integrate him over the next month or two, he's still just 19 year old.

Upset avoided!

Deulofeu looked good but tired. He and Barkley could become an awesome duo. Kone tried hard but Lady Luck was against him tonight. I didn't think Naismith was so bad, actually. Oveido, on the other hand, was weak. Heitinga and Hibbert were rather anonymous, and Osman had another bad game. For me, Distin was really excellent - good reading of the ball and excellent pace. Let's not forget that we made rather a lot of changes tonight.

That was a great game. I think that the fact that it went into extra-time masks the fact that we were totally dominant. Stevenage never looked like scoring apart from the one chance that they got in the first half which they finished, without an incredible amount of luck they wouldn't have even had the chance too remember so first I think we need to applaud the defence for being just as solid as it was against West Brom on Saturday.

Up front we were poor. Kone played his heart out and that's great to see but just like Torres & Jelavic he doesn't seem to be able to find the net. The number of chances he had to score was in the hundreds yet he failed to find the net all night. I hope that he finds it soon though as having two strikers with low confidence isn't going to help the team at all (and the annoying cunts at Goodison will probably get on his back like they do with Naismith) We're wafer thin up front as it is without both Nikica & Arouna goal-less for the whole season so I'm hoping and praying he bags his first against Cardiff this weekend.

In midfield we were at our worst. Naismith had a very poor game and Osman yet again added nothing to the team. Gerard Deulofeu looked fantastic going forward but needs some mentoring in order to improve his decision making. There was a free-kick which we had in the 100th minute which he should have crossed as it was at a brilliant angle yet he foolishly went for glory and hit it over the bar - had Fellaini not scored that decision might have come back to haunt him.

I was crying out for our match-winner all game - Marouane. It was crystal clear that our weak point was our midfield and since he came on we seemed totally at east with the ball in that area. Once he came on we looked a genuine threat in the middle of the park and were able to make productive moves as oppose to weak, sloppy balls 24/7 from Ozzy & Naismith.

All in all though it's steady improvements. The result doesn't matter to me as IMO Stevenage were the biggest load of pussies I've seen at Goodison for a long time. They reminded me of San Marino against England, when they had the ball all they wanted to do was keep it away from us so we couldn't score, they never looked to attack and when defending did so with 11 men parked on the edge of the box. It was embarrassing to watch at times and I'm just glad that we got some justice and had some luck when their defender fucked up to give Fellaini his chance.

I'm looking forward to the Cardiff game now, if we play like that we'll play them off the park. The only reason we didn't get six or seven tonight was because our opponents were too shit scared to leave their own box.

Bit unfair there Zoo, they are a league 1 side who have lost 3 out of their last 4, they were aiming for the pen shoot out

and bar one terrible error nearly got it. Good luck to them and their fans who made the journey.

Yes we should have had a hatful, but we got through that's the main thing. But Stevenage made us work till the end.

Still totally convinced we need a target up front be it victor or Felli (if he stays) to play alongside Jela or Kone ( who still looks rusty to me)

Tons of neat approach play and passing, but need the plan b, when we cant play our way through.

The result is the main thing above all else. Yes we only sneaked through against a lower league opposition, and extra time was needed to seperate the two sides but it's still a progression. Take this opportunity to applaud Stevenage for making it difficult and giving the crowd a scare and so nearly pulling off a surprise tonight, and Martinez did field a severely weakened side for this competition, with expansive changes of usual personnel, but in the end it was enough to get through, but many wouldn't have envisaged such a close call. Pleased to have got through, but we'll have to improve a little if we're really going to go a long way in this competition. Regardless of caliber of opposition, I would have fielded the strongest side available tonight, rather than take chances with a changed or weakened squad. In the end, we just about got away with it.

So we are dominating games and not scoring. Kone flattered to deceive last night he comes too deep for the ball and ends up playing in the positions Barkley is picking up. God forbid we lose fellani he made all.the difference. Naismith is a pub footballer with decent fitness. The barca kid looks good going forward but lazy. Barkley was solid. Defence got opened up to easily for the goal.