IGNORED

Jermaine defoe

Would go for Maynard, cheap wages and hungry

His contract is ticking down at Bristol City and they wont allow him to go to a fellow Championship club - they knocked back bids from Leicester and West Ham. He would be available in the window for around £3million I reckon. He would love a return back to the north as well.

I have seen him play a few times this season and he is getting better and better now the goals have started to come again and the side are playing better. He has good movement, pace and is composed in front of goal

• 1 year later...

If we lose Fellaini , Baines or god forbid both, the talk is James McCarthy ( who we all agree would be good) and now today Ryan Bertrand from

Chelsea ( again can see the sense) and a guy called Bruno Martins Indi who I confess to knowing nothing about.

But im thinking more and more about Jermaine Defoe.

1. A player with a proven track record and always looked the business.

2. warming the bench, seemingly not fancied by AVB.

3.Been linked with moves, dying for first team football, and a point to prove.

Our strikers Jela and Kone don't look the part at the moment, although I think highly of both, its just not happening yet, Defoe would be a major

kick to both of them, and see no reason why Defoe could,nt play along side one of them. And for Everton he could be another Kevin Campbell

another player who mostly forgotten, came to us and was brilliant and earned himself life long Everton fan respect.

Im half expecting some of you to shoot me down on this, or tell me reasons why we cant that im unaware of or have heard something about

Defoe,s situation that I don't know.

But bearing that in mind I totally stand by this post, However I don't know his current price some of you will no doubt enlighten me.

If we do lose 1 or 2 of our best, McCarthy and Bertrand I think by all means yes. But I think Defoe ( if possible or available) could turn out

fantastic for us so isn't he worth looking at ?

Might get a barrage of you all over this post for ignorance or not knowing the situation with him, but I would absolutely love Everton to

look at Defoe and see what ive been thinking for ages...But again emphasise its just my wishful thinking ,but to my mind its a good idea

Load up and fire away at me if you have a mind to...But it does make sense to me.

If we lose Fellaini , Baines or god forbid both, the talk is James McCarthy ( who we all agree would be good) and now today Ryan Bertrand from

Chelsea ( again can see the sense) and a guy called Bruno Martins Indi who I confess to knowing nothing about.

About Martins Indi. His favorite position is centre back, but he's left footed and can also play left back. He's big, strong and really fast. He could be a long-term successor for Sylvain Distin, they're quite similar in their talents on the defensive side of the ball. It would be a shame buying him to have him sat on the bench all year though. Maybe we could get a discount if we loan him back to them for the season so they don't need to hurry getting a replacement in?

There's a reason he always ends up on the bench, no where near clinical enough. He's not a match winner and has very poor shooting accuracy (struggles from 12 yards, see his pen against us), he's lucky Spurs have a great midfield to get him the extra chances he needs.

Remember when Saha was woefully out of form and couldn't hit a barn door? Spurs took him because Defoe is even worse.

So is that a no from you then Pete? Nothing like sitting on the fence.

Season loan not a buy, hes own massive wages, is 31, and blows hot and cold.

Lets re assess after x-mass rather than buy someone now with only just over 24 hrs in the transfer market.

As much as I'd like to do that, With our current striking lineup, we will be 10th or worse by January, and there is no value in the January market. To be fair, there is no value on deadline day either. Wish we would've put the 6m from Kone on someone else.

I think we will be better than 10th once we get some replacements for Osman, McCarthy, and Barry.

I just don't want to rush to buy a player who is the wrong side of 30, and is very inconsistent in the league.

If we save some money it gives us time to find a buyer Jella if he has not started scoring, and look for a proper replacement.

Im getting slightly frustrated by Jelavic now. Really think Anichebe should get a go. Defoe is not clinical enough. Hard working and probably better than what we have. But we need someone who can:

Hold the ball up for our wingers/full backs

Get in the box and finish.

Ani checks the first box but not really the second.

Same with Kone and Vellios

Jelavic does neither at the moment.

We need to find a striker. A cheap one.

Defoe would be a massive improvement on all of our strikers. It's not happening though. Spurs would be silly to get rid with only Soldado, him and Adebayor as 'natural' strikers. Basically this is a non-starter.

More of an instinctive finisher I grant you.

I agree I cant see him leaving Spurs, he does love the club and I think he would be less of a player if he moved.

I can see Spurs signing another striker tomorrow and once again spending BIG!!! Think it will be at the expense of Adebayor though - maybe a loan to a rich Russian/Middle Eastern club will be the only way to get him off the pay role.

It wouldn't surprise me if Spurs are linked to Torres, Rooney, Benzema, Ibrahimovic and Suarez (in that order) once the Bale saga is officially closed! (isn't Falcoa on the move already too?!)

may not be in the right place, but (on reflection during the evening) its a good shout. was dead against it a while ago when we were linked, but now it makes more sense.

edit: merged it with an old thread (housekeeping ;) )

Edited by Matt

• 4 months later...