IGNORED

Tony Hibbert - will he figure again?

Avinalaff

He might get a couple of cup games? Martinez might even trust him over Stones if Coleman gets injured? Depending on the opposition probably. I think he sees Stones as a CB and I would not be surprised to see him switch over to 3 at the back with 2 wing backs in the future.

Id like to see Tony get a chance somewhere, he is far too good to be in the freezer already. Would suit a team like West Ham / Aston Villa.

I think his career ended when he scored his goal in his testimonal. I very much doubt we'll see him pull on a blue shirt again, although I've always liked Tony, never a skillful player but hard working and on his day a good defender, remember when we needed him to play centre back (think against man city? might be mistaken) and he played an absolute blinder. Great servant and a fan favourite, really hope he takes up a role within the everton structure.

Id like to see Tony get a chance somewhere, he is far too good to be in the freezer already. Would suit a team like West Ham / Aston Villa.

Incidentally, I always sell Tony on Fifa and it's always Villa or West Ham that buy him, I struggle to get them to more than 500k though :/

I think his career ended when he scored his goal in his testimonal. I very much doubt we'll see him pull on a blue shirt again, although I've always liked Tony, never a skillful player but hard working and on his day a good defender, remember when we needed him to play centre back (think against man city? might be mistaken) and he played an absolute blinder. Great servant and a fan favourite, really hope he takes up a role within the everton structure.

Incidentally, I always sell Tony on Fifa and it's always Villa or West Ham that buy him, I struggle to get them to more than 500k though :/

I usually do a player-swap for a youngster.

Too young to retire but he is a throw back <old-fashioned > full back who needed upgrading long before Martinez darkened the doors of GP. I want to hug him for his tenacity < an kill him for his shanked of floaty crosses that led to nothing>. A promotion chasing team could do worse than employ Hibbert.

Edited by weebittight

He's been a great servant to the club, but I can't see him coming back bar a couple of injuries. He's never been technically great, but he is consistent. Like Matt said, more of player-coach to me.

think he's pretty much done as a premier full back now, injured at a key stage of career, it will be tough for him. he may well do a year or two at Wigan and come back as a coach

I agree with all of this, great loyal servant, never anything special but did his job when required, never gonna fit into what Martinez is thinking but think he deserves a few more years yet in his career sadly not with us but seen a lot of clubs where he could do a good job, best of luck Tony will always remember that one goal!!

Edited by Blue Oz

• 1 month later...

I still feel that he has been one of those players that got so much better in his later years and suffered from his younger years.

What you get with Hibbert is a player that can defend against some of the best attacking players in the prem.

He doesnt have pace, but doesnt need it!

his last ditch tackling is up there with the best. and his tackles are proper.

Last season when he did appear he always passed the ball simply as soon as his job was done.

I wouldnt mind him spending another season here.

Add to that he is deadly from 30 yards! stuff Bale we have Hibbo!

• 4 weeks later...

Martinez bigging him up in the interview yesterday, saying how important a figure he has been to the kids and team in general during his injury.

I really hope he joins the coaching staff, hes been a great servant to the club and would continue to be a great example for the youth setup.

And I have to disagree here. Former players, no matter how loyal, should not be given automatically a coaching role. They may turn out to be rotten coaches. Instead, we should build a coaching team based on merit.

Ferguson, David Weir and Stubbs did well enough, but I know what you mean. Weve got one of the best academies going, and we would only ever the best coaches around. I was just saying that, going on Martinezs comments, he sounds like a great person to keep around.