IGNORED

Tony Hibbert - will he figure again?

Avinalaff

think I mentioned player/coach. I.e. Coaches and if we need him is still registered to play. Win win, no?

Win as a coach (Stones' slide tackling would get a boost), lose as a player because he's no longer good enough. So why not just go with what makes sense and have him as staff and nothing more?

Win as a coach (Stones' slide tackling would get a boost), lose as a player because he's no longer good enough. So why not just go with what makes sense and have him as staff and nothing more?

agreed until I think; how much for a seasoned pro who is happy to play backup?

agreed until I think; how much for a seasoned pro who is happy to play backup?

If he was good enough as a back up then I wouldn't have a problem but he's not, IMO.

I get he's been here since he was a kid but everything must come to an end, and his end really should be now.

If he was good enough as a back up then I wouldn't have a problem but he's not, IMO.

I get he's been here since he was a kid but everything must come to an end, and his end really should be now.

ok, didn't think you thought him as not good enough as backup!

Question then. We've got 25 to register, based on now ( because we don't know who we will sign), who do you name?

ok, didn't think you thought him as not good enough as backup!

Question then. We've got 25 to register, based on now ( because we don't know who we will sign), who do you name?

I'd rather have the likes of Browning pushing through. Martinez has said he's ready. If we looked outside the club is like us to after someone like Byram at Leeds. They're a mess off the field and we could take advantage of that. I'd just rather look to the future than the past.

Again, though, it doesn't matter because Martinez has said we're in talks over a new contract.

It will be a cheap one year deal and hopefully will be with a view to taking up a coaching role after this year is up.

I haven't seen it mentioned, but he played a few games for the U21s last season and helped the young lads along, especially when quite a lot of the older ones were out on loan. I think that league changes to a U23 league from next season so more experienced players will be featuring in the opposition sides, so he could well continue that role next season from time to time when an older head is needed to guide the younger lads through. I think he will be ideal for that role and he's someone the kids will respect as a good pro.

One of the best tacklers I've seen, too.

Let's not be ridiculous here. Roberto and Hibbert have seen what Coleman and Stones have provided and I doubt either is delusional enough to believe that Hibbert's going to really factor into the first-team. If Hibbert wants to get legitimate playing time, then he's going to have to play at a much lower level and for heavily reduced salary, anyway. He's exactly the kind of guy you want around your youngsters and the training grounds. I don't have an issue with paying him a bit more than a normal coach to stay fit and be available for reserve matches, Capital One Cup, and Europe. I trust that Martinez isn't going to let wages spent on Hibbert be the difference between funding a competitive squad and dropping to 9th, or whatever.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Decent squad player to have around if ever anything happens to Coleman. Browning doesn't seem ready for the first team yet so I'd rather keep Hibbo on low wages who has been tried and tested then an unknown who could be a nightmare.

Wouldn't be surprised if he joins the coaching staff once his two years is up.

I'm not in the business of paying a player £25k a week to do nothing for sentimental reasons. But I am in the business of promoting loyalty - he's made over 300 appearances for us. I'm pretty sure he's on a far reduced contract.

He gives us identity and is a big personality by all accounts - a camudgeon who likes things done right.

'To be honest, I’ve always enjoying working with the younger lads,' Hibbert said. 'I’ve been with the reserves quite a bit and I enjoy that part of the game.

'I just want the best for Everton and the young lads that are coming through, I will try and mentor them the best I can.'

I'm not in the business of paying a player £25k a week to do nothing for sentimental reasons. But I am in the business of promoting loyalty - he's made over 300 appearances for us. I'm pretty sure he's on a far reduced contract.

He gives us identity and is a big personality by all accounts - a camudgeon who likes things done right.

'To be honest, I’ve always enjoying working with the younger lads,' Hibbert said. 'I’ve been with the reserves quite a bit and I enjoy that part of the game.

'I just want the best for Everton and the young lads that are coming through, I will try and mentor them the best I can.'

This exactly