IGNORED

Stadium thread: Reprise edition

Louis

So what did you mean with your message?

I mean if we had the money to build it we could have it but we don't. We want the council (local authority) to pay a large portion of it and they are saying they both don't have it and are probably legally bound not to pay for it for us.

I mean if we had the money to build it we could have it but we don't. We want the council (local authority) to pay a large portion of it and they are saying they both don't have it and are probably legally bound not to pay for it for us.

But this is very different. The city of Liverpool looks to gain a lucrative income from a new Everton stadium. In most cities here in the US, the financial return to the local economy can be twenty years or less. When a city refuses, the team uproots and moves to a city that will build a stadium. That won't happen with Everton, of course, but the mayor of the city is cutting his nose to spite his face by refusing to consider funding a new stadium.

Sorry to say it, but I don't think the city will gain that much more income by buying you a new house - unless it becomes a wonderful tourist attraction that attracts many thousands. Be creative. What can you do for that to happen?

Edited by Cornish Steve

But this is very different. The city of Liverpool looks to gain a lucrative income from a new Everton stadium. In most cities here in the US, the financial return to the local economy can be twenty years or less. When a city refuses, the team uproots and moves to a city that will build a stadium. That won't happen with Everton, of course, but the mayor of the city is cutting his nose to spite his face by refusing to consider funding a new stadium.

Sorry to say it, but I don't think the city will gain that much more income by buying you a new house - unless it becomes a wonderful tourist attraction that attracts many thousands. Be creative. What can you do for that to happen?

If you read my earlier post I said it's not as simple as that but thats the bare bones of it.

If they do it for us do they have to do it for others. There's scores of reasons for and against I was just simplifying it.

The city just can't do it. They don't have the money in their budget to do a lot of the basics. There are kids going hungry, masses of homeless men and women, if they spent what money they do have on a stadium for a football club I don't think I'd be happy about it to be honest.

If we want to expand that's fine, but we need to find a way to fund it ourself, or find a way to fund a new bigger park end.

Forgive me for something that may be extremely stupid here, but i visit Liverpool for the first time in February this year - walked around the whole city and came to Albert Docks where the Echo Arena (? correct name?) is. Looks a 25-30000 capacity arena ( again guessing as im to lazy right now to look it up ). I noticed it looked relatively new and modern and got told it open in 2007/08. Why on earth didnt we build there?

Spend a bit of time reading this.

Try not to have a break down at the end of it, but make an appointment with someone to discus anger, trauma and complete and utter disappointment.

http://toffeeweb.com/club/kings-dock/

Well, my heart has sunk completely after reading that. Ive seen proposed images of that stadium, but had no idea the facilities it would have. Classic Everton i guess missing out on that.

If you read my earlier post I said it's not as simple as that but thats the bare bones of it.

If they do it for us do they have to do it for others. There's scores of reasons for and against I was just simplifying it.

Why would they have to do it for others? It's strictly a business decision, not a donation. Each case would be judged on its merits.

Why would they have to do it for others? It's strictly a business decision, not a donation. Each case would be judged on its merits.

Ok , so what if Liverpool come up with an equally as good plan, what if the city wants an athletics track for up snd coming athletes?

In short, what makes us so special when there are others out there who are just as needy.

I don't know specifically about Liverpool but I know around here the local council is struggling to find enough money to cut the grass in public parks. They live now on a hand to mouth basis so even if if it would benefit Liverpool in the long term to build us a stadium they just don't have the money available to do it.

In my mid-fifties, or at any age come to that, it would benefit me greatly to put as much as I could into ISAs ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_Savings_Account for the non-Brits) but I live pretty much hand to mouth so it's just not possible.

There are loads of things you can do to make money if you've got a decent pot to start with but bugger all if the coffers are bare.

• 2 weeks later...

wouldn't they just play all the matches in london? there's arse, spurs, chelsea, wembley, west ham , palace. that's 6 stadiums right there.

Would cause chaos. Thirty-two teams worth of fans all in the same City? Potential for trouble would be enormous. No chance of it happening anyway and certainly no chance of a second stadium being used in Liverpool when they'll have the redeveloped Anfield available.

Would cause chaos. Thirty-two teams worth of fans all in the same City? Potential for trouble would be enormous. No chance of it happening anyway and certainly no chance of a second stadium being used in Liverpool when they'll have the redeveloped Anfield available.

never thought of that. great point mike. dyke has come out and said no 2018 or 2022 in england so it's off.

wouldn't they just play all the matches in london? there's arse, spurs, chelsea, wembley, west ham , palace. that's 6 stadiums right there.

No, they would have to play in other stadiums too. It's the World Cup, let's be real. How do you host a World Cup in England and not have a game at Old Trafford? Likely to be a game at Anfield, and the Etihad too

No, they would have to play in other stadiums too. It's the World Cup, let's be real. How do you host a World Cup in England and not have a game at Old Trafford? Likely to be a game at Anfield, and the Etihad too

Would be a lot more than that. As an example these were the proposed 2018 venues..

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_2018_FIFA_World_Cup_bid#Venues

• 2 months later...

Yep but the usual carrot has been dangled and there will be enough donkeys chssing it to take the pressure off.

This is the mayor saying he's going to update right, not the club? So how can that be the club trying to deflect pressure (which is what I assume you're getting at)?

There is an interesting video on toffeetv on YouTube where they discuss tidying up the main stand to make it look more attractive. Using the Everton school as an example of how it could look. Worth wasting ten minutes of your life to have a watch.

I can't see us being able to afford this stadium. The only way could be a massive loan from Grantchester, but that would never happen.