IGNORED

Tom Cleverley

This is the type of signing thats spells out what is wrong with the so called top 4. Young players built up and knocked down before they have actually developed into a player.

The lad had to actually close down his twitter account due to abuse from his own fans. People making petitions about him, Carricks Q&A being hijacked by fans using it as an opportunity to slate Cleverly. Its completely insane that humans are treated like this.

The likes of Barkley, McCarthy would probably get the same level of treatement off that lot for not being Paul Scholes.

Horrible fans. I really hope the lad proves them wrong.

I agree with this completely... Barkley would get slated non stop for losing the ball, diminishing his confidence to the point he won't be expressive, McCarthy for not being expressive or productive enough because his goals/assists stats..

I'm all for Cleverly to sign, simple player in the middle, efficient with the ball and works hard to win it back... Our wingbacks, wide men and attacking mid our the creative forces in the team, so the 2 central mids must be disciplined and for me, Cleverly is that.

So anyone who thinks he is bad is following hype? I think he's shit cos I've watched him consistently play shit and offer nothing...no hype has influenced my opinion

I have also seen the games where he looks to have offered nothing. But I also recall games where I have seen him run the midfield. Notably the 8-2 thrashing of Arsenal, he dominated the midfield not by dribbling past 3 men and making clever through balls, but by keeping the ball and setting a high tempo with 1 and 2 touch play.

I'm not saying he will be an amazing signing, there is a lot of work needed to rebuild the lad - and he may be damaged goods. But if he regains his confidence he can be a very good player.

If at worst he becomes depth and just a squad player, lets not forgot we once relied on Phil Neville for that...

He's not as bad as Neville like but I thought those days were gone.

He's very far removed from Phil Neville lads, come on. He's a possession footballer, one - two touch pass and move. Neville was a sunday league footballer in a premier league team.

He will flourish. Look at the difference in Henderson with a bit of confidence for Liverpool, he just needs a break.

He's not as bad as Neville like but I thought those days were gone.

I wasn't implying he was haha! I like him, I think we're building something exciting here given a couple more good signings and a squaddy here and there.

Unless of course he gets his confidence back and fulfils his early promise. Then he may actually become the link up player between McCarthy and Barkley. Don't forget Barry is really here for his experience and wont last much longer than the next two seasons.

Cleverley is not a donkey, he is actually a technically gifted footballer. His weakness is his confidence and his ability to stand out. While not being a great player, he is a good footballer and in the right environment could become a very useful player.

I would welcome him here as I do think we need to find a player can link up the middle of the park for us. Having a quick thinking player with good feet a good engine and a good touch could be just what we need.

I would take almost anybody at the moment because we need the numbers, however I stil remember Cleverleys performance at Goodison when he played on the right for Wigan and he had Leighton Baines in his back pocket all night long so I know there is a very capable player in there somewhere

whoooaaaaaaa - I hate those posts where I have to agree with you! Can't you say, he's pants and passes backwards all game?

As an extra body, I think we could do a lot worse. Not a big fan of his. but wasnt of Gibson when he joined us either and he won me over.

Bobby has a season of working with him at Wigan so he must see a player in there, and the fact he has played with McCarthy before can only be a positive.

So while not sure about him, In Bobby I Trust.

As I've said before, I'd be pretty happy to get him. I don't think he's going to turn out to be a world class player or anything like that, but I'm almost certain he is going to be a solid player. He's got a real understanding of space and how to make himself available for a pass. Good vision, good passing technique. Not a prime physical specimen, but wiry enough to stand his ground and a low center of gravity helps in a number of different ways. Martinez knows him personally so he can vouch for his character. Another home-grown player with pretty much the ideal age for a signing imo as well. I think a McCarthy-Cleverley-Barkley midfield could fit well together for years to come.

To slow, clumsy and weak on the ball. Why the hell would we want that time bomb in the centre of the park. He really is t good enough unless we get him dirt cheap. Less than £3m

The player you just described isn't worth £20,000 never mind £3m.

Football is all about "ingredients" - you can't have 11 mirallas's in a team, as much as you would love it. Some players have a certain role and style of play.

I believe he will be brought in to get the best out of Ross Barkley, we often suffer with the tempo of our play being too slow, this lad will help alleviate that. Not by running at 20 mph at defenders, but by moving into space to take the ball and move it on very swiftly. He will be a very good componewnt for the likes of Barry and McCarthy who have a similar "get and give" mentality.

In short, you will watch him and wonder what he does, but you should see a team moving the ball very well and getting dangerous players like Mirallas and Barkley on the ball more often.

The player you just described isn't worth £20,000 never mind £3m.

Football is all about "ingredients" - you can't have 11 mirallas's in a team, as much as you would love it. Some players have a certain role and style of play.

I believe he will be brought in to get the best out of Ross Barkley, we often suffer with the tempo of our play being too slow, this lad will help alleviate that. Not by running at 20 mph at defenders, but by moving into space to take the ball and move it on very swiftly. He will be a very good componewnt for the likes of Barry and McCarthy who have a similar "get and give" mentality.

In short, you will watch him and wonder what he does, but you should see a team moving the ball very well and getting dangerous players like Mirallas and Barkley on the ball more often.

exactly, but I can see the concern considering how he has been misused the last 2 seasons.

I completely agree with you (for a change :P) that if Cleverleys confidence is rebuilt and played in a manner that maximizes his strengths, he will be a cracking player for us. But at the same time, we can't tell if the damage his game/mentality has suffered under SAF/Moyes is irreparable. We will see, but he is certainly worth taking a gamble on, depending on the price tag...

exactly, but I can see the concern considering how he has been misused the last 2 seasons.

I completely agree with you (for a change :P) that if Cleverleys confidence is rebuilt and played in a manner that maximizes his strengths, he will be a cracking player for us. But at the same time, we can't tell if the damage his game/mentality has suffered under SAF/Moyes is irreparable. We will see, but he is certainly worth taking a gamble on, depending on the price tag...

People wouldn't buy a Porsche and use it on rough terrain - likewise you wouldn't use a Range Rover on a race track. It seems that what footballers offer is often ignored and they are considered "a midfielder" "a forward".

Technically the like is a very compentent player, has neat control, accurate passing, great work rate and team ethic, he just doesn't "stand out".

A few years back Michael Carrick was viewed in a similar fashion but not as cruel as he was identified as a top player for West Ham and Spurs, people wondered what he did. Eventually the people who were so used to slating himn without any real knowledge of what he brings to the team were silenced when MOTD ran 5 minute clips on what he brings to the game, his positioning etc etc - it made you look stupid to slate him so most people did exactly that - stop slating him.

Ironically I would identify him as being the most disappointing midfiedler for United last year - even moreso than Fellaini. Fellaini had a culture change, Carrick just wasn't bothered. Yet because he has had his "Michael Carrick is ace, leave him alone thickos" montage he escaped criticism.

Dont get too excited, LVG only turned up for training today so how can he make a statement like that? It smacks of either bumping up a price or journo bullshit or someone on Twitter making shit up

Theres no link that I can find quoting LVG saying that, just a fuck-ton of articles about Cleverley having to impress quickly or is part of a group of 6-10 players (depending what you read) who are ready for the chop.