IGNORED

Tom Cleverley

12 months left on his contract...5-8 is far too much

Pienaar was sold for £4m with 6 months left on contract. £5-£8m would be about right IMO - remember how much Boo boy Henderson developed with the right manager who instilled confidence.

I'm with Ten, the more I think about this, the more I like the idea.

Has the hallmarks of the Arteta, Pienaar, signings where they never found the right club then came to Everton and looked like bargains.

At Man United if you are the "next Paul Scholes" and fall short of that you are deemed a failure, those lot want instant "world class" performances - trust me he ain't that bad. People victimised him for England because he epitomised the "Play for United get in the England team"... they need to look at Smalling for that.

Edited by Hafnia

thought it was more 2-3m?

also pienaar was a star player in a good side

You can argue that Cleverley is an England international with a premier league medal who is a good deal younger than Pienaar was... plus he's coming from united who seem to be able to sell such players for a few mill more.

Regardless, the whole hoo har about him is embarrssing - there have been far worse players to escape criticism.

It reminds me of the time when Jason Lee was mercilessly bullied into having zero confidence and pretty much destroyed him as a player. Its ridiculous.

Lets just hope Barkley doesn't run into a bad spell and get slated left right and centre, cos he is someone who proabably is supceptible to such criticism.

I'm clinging on to the Tom Cleverly who was the best player on the pitch at Goodison while at Wigan - think Roberto knows what he's doing with this one.

Cleverly's WAG is incredible (worth at least half his fee to see her at Goodison!)

You can argue that Cleverley is an England international with a premier league medal who is a good deal younger than Pienaar was... plus he's coming from united who seem to be able to sell such players for a few mill more.

Regardless, the whole hoo har about him is embarrssing - there have been far worse players to escape criticism.

It reminds me of the time when Jason Lee was mercilessly bullied into having zero confidence and pretty much destroyed him as a player. Its ridiculous.

Lets just hope Barkley doesn't run into a bad spell and get slated left right and centre, cos he is someone who proabably is supceptible to such criticism.

cleverley isn't goin through a spell it's a whole fuckin grimoire

i'll back him to the hilt if he comes..and really hope i'm wrong

cleverley isn't goin through a spell it's a whole fuckin grimoire

i'll back him to the hilt if he comes..and really hope i'm wrong

He is carrying the can for United midfield last season. Carrick was shocking - Fellaini looked scared, they were set up with players not in space to take a pass and all of a sudden Cleverley is the fall guy because he doesn't dribble, beat men and do it on his own.

I've seen him have outstanding games for United. He relies on players around him "moving" - under Moyes that did not happen.

I'm clinging on to the Tom Cleverly who was the best player on the pitch at Goodison while at Wigan - think Roberto knows what he's doing with this one.

Cleverly's WAG is incredible (worth at least half his fee to see her at Goodison!)

Geez, you're not wrong!

this is one signing that i hope comes off.

The lad has been rated by so many coaches that there must be something there. Whenever i did try to critisise him i always found it frustrating thast he wasnt as bad as i wanted him to be if thast makes any sense?

Now i am warming to the idea that maybe thats because hes a decent player. i would like to see either Tom or Rodwell back here.

this is one signing that i hope comes off.

The lad has been rated by so many coaches that there must be something there. Whenever i did try to critisise him i always found it frustrating thast he wasnt as bad as i wanted him to be if thast makes any sense?

Now i am warming to the idea that maybe thats because hes a decent player. i would like to see either Tom or Rodwell back here.

I'd like both if I'm honest, and dont see any reason why we couldnt get the 2 for 10m

Spending a few million on Cleverley is a sound decision. We don't need him to come in and run the show for us. We have the starters we want in there (assuming Barry re-signs). Cleverley could then fill an Osman type role and be a bit of a midfield jack of all trades. He would start some games, but we wouldn't be relying upon him from the get go. If he could rediscover his form and play himself into a starting role, increasing his value to us, as a team, and on the market, then we will have done amazing business by bringing him in.

He's been shit for a longer period than he was good at Wigan. So, it can be said it was just good form at Wigan and his class is of the special needs variety.

could be argued the last time he was good was under RM, and RM apparently still has faith. Look what he did with Naismith; underperformer turned good performer.

Look, I don't expect Cleverly to turn into a superstar, but he can become a cracking player and Martinez is the person to get the best out of him

could be argued the last time he was good was under RM, and RM apparently still has faith. Look what he did with Naismith; underperformer turned good performer.

Look, I don't expect Cleverly to turn into a superstar, but he can become a cracking player and Martinez is the person to get the best out of him

Arguably, playing Naismith in his natural position is what happened to Naismith. If our previous manager had done that then I have no doubt we'd have seen the same results.

I don't want Cleverley, especially if the £8m fee is true, but if he comes I'll obviously give him a chance. I've got no problem with being proven wrong. But I'd rather give my opinion at the risk of being wrong.

Arguably, playing Naismith in his natural position is what happened to Naismith. If our previous manager had done that then I have no doubt we'd have seen the same results.

I don't want Cleverley, especially if the £8m fee is true, but if he comes I'll obviously give him a chance. I've got no problem with being proven wrong. But I'd rather give my opinion at the risk of being wrong.

Gibson, Barry to name two that people have had doubts over but settled well in our team. 8m is a stretch but not if a worry if, an unstandably big if, he flourishes

Gibson, Barry to name two that people have had doubts over but settled well in our team. 8m is a stretch but not if a worry if, an unstandably big if, he flourishes

The fee isn't so much to do with his ability. It's about how long he has left on his contract. It's ridiculous and inflated just because he plays for United.

And like I said, I've got no problem with being proven wrong. I'd like to be.

£8m is too much? It's all a matter of perspective. How about "Cleverly and £20m" for Fellaini?

I'm in two minds. Clearly, Cleverly earned himself a decent reputation in the past and has played for England. Still, his form has been shocking. Would that change if he joined Everton? I've no idea. What I do know is, though, that we have to take the risk on "potentially great players" because they come at a much lower price tag than "currently great players."

Let's be honest, Jack Wilshire is in a similar bracket. Two young lads with far too much expectation placed on their shoulders.

I repeat again, no footballer especially a lad should have to endure what cleverly has had to. I firmly believe that he will blossom under Martinez.

He's a touch footballer and needs to play in the right set up. there were examples of how the United team were set up last year and it was like Tranmere. Older players passing the buck, so the fans end up picking on cleverly. What a bunch of horrible pricks.

Most united fans say get rid for £5-£8m, £5m may be the magic number and no doubt come off what they owe for fellaini.

The lad needs a bit of TLC and building up like Ross did at the start of last season. At Everton we look after our own, we don't hang them out to dry.

Which is why I am always reminding myself to go easy on players. Look at what happens when you give players that level of support, Naismith, Gibson, Arteta, Pienaar, all came to our club supposed shells of the players they once were...

I think the only player I've genuinely disliked in an Everton shirt was Phil Neville... mainly because I never subscribed to him being Captain Fantastic - Super Professional - Genuine all round good egg who brought an element of Man United superioritry to the club.

Not really sure what happened to Cleverley after his injuries in the 11/12 season. He was actually a talented player for a bit there. Looked great with his ability to pass and move initially at United (never had the composer in the prem to score regularly though) and his loan spells at Watford & Wigan also seemed quite promising, but he's lost all confidence in himself since over the last two seasons.

I'd be willing to gamble a few million pounds on him with his contract finishing up, though getting him on loan with the option to nab him on a free in a year would be absolutely perfect (but obviously unrealistic :P). Might just be needing some time out of the harsh Man U spotlight to build his confidence back again and could provide a good CM option and Pienaar back-up if his old form is rediscovered.

for what we paid and the amount of games he played he was a great buy.

I'll always remember him running down the wing when he scored a goal that took us into Europe.

The rain was torrential that day.

I just never bought into his "Look at me, i'm the ultimate professional" act. I reckon a fair few of his team mates found him hard to stomach with his teachers pet mentality.