IGNORED

Muhamed Besic

Louis

It's not about setting the world alight mate I'm not expecting that more a point that a players previous club means practically nothing it has no bearing on how any player will perform for another club at a higher level I'm not sure why people generally use it to dampen peoples expectations of any player, it's the same as he's still young etc if a players good enough he's good enough simple.

There's no weight being put on his shoulders or pressure either it's a forum and personal views and opinions what we say will have no effect what so ever.

I've personally got high hopes for the lad and as others have said he has attributes we've been missing for some time there's no harm in having very positive and fairly high expectations for a player

Edited by EFC-Paul

I'm excited to see the player he can become once he fills out and gets a few years striking fear into the hearts of his opponents under his belt. Besic can be one of those midfield generals who thrive on their reputation. There are a lot of "ifs" with him, but he at least has the skill to make it.

My questions with him are mentally at this stage. Technically he is superb, but in both games he lost the ball early and dived straight into a nasty challenge which was quite impetuous. I imagine that is because he is trying to impress but I can see him doing that in the Derby and getting sent off early!

My questions with him are mentally at this stage. Technically he is superb, but in both games he lost the ball early and dived straight into a nasty challenge which was quite impetuous. I imagine that is because he is trying to impress but I can see him doing that in the Derby and getting sent off early!

I get the same sense. I looked at the video of his first impressive touches and after going "woah", I got the feeling that he was very close to losing the ball in a dangerous spot, and might not have even realized the third player was there before he did his second move and the cross. I think he's got to be a little bit more careful, but I'm still excited!

I get the same sense. I looked at the video of his first impressive touches and after going "woah", I got the feeling that he was very close to losing the ball in a dangerous spot, and might not have even realized the third player was there before he did his second move and the cross. I think he's got to be a little bit more careful, but I'm still excited!

It's so interesting how you can view the coin in two different ways. The way I see it, I fully appreciate someone that is willing to take someone one and pull a trick or two to get past them. Makes me think of (a basketball analogy) a rookie Kobe Bryant who airballed a couple of 3 point shots during the playoffs. Some said that he should have passed the ball and not be the hero but the way I saw it, it showed me that he wasn't afraid to be on the big stage, put the weight on his shoulder, and not shy away from it. Of course there will be times where playing the safe pass is the right thing to do and slow down with the reckless tackles (Especially during say the Derby) but if he continues to develop his game, I can see that he has the tools to be special :)

Other than the hard tackling, he reminds me of arteta in so many ways. The way he holds himself.

Shit!

I can too haha! I noticed when watching him that he always seems to be looking to receive the ball, waving his hands to his feet to show where he wants it put. And to be fair Arteta always had a nasty streak in him too. That's what made him the player he was, arrogance.

This lad is gonna do a few Don Hutchisons and the fans will love it.

I remember Don when he was our clear and away best midfielder - he put in some absolute cerunching tackles, you heard the echo around Goodison and seen the opponent wilt, Don then got up and strode off with the ball. I resented the board for the way he was treated and sold off when they offered him a poxy new deal.

With McCarthy we will have two of the most tenacious midlfielders in the prem - proper steel. Lets just hope we are able to "influence" the referees in a way that means they wont be dishing cards out left right and centre.

• 2 weeks later...

by all accounts, it looks like besic has very good skill level. why isn't he playing? is it fitness level? or is he still learning the system? is martinez bringing him along slowly? or are there just better players ahead of him?

it seems having barry + besic's passing ability would make us all the more lethal - is there something my novice eyes are not seeing?

by all accounts, it looks like besic has very good skill level. why isn't he playing? is it fitness level? or is he still learning the system? is martinez bringing him along slowly? or are there just better players ahead of him?

it seems having barry + besic's passing ability would make us all the more lethal - is there something my novice eyes are not seeing?

I think Roberto has a tough time subbing out Barry or McCarthy for Besic because of the massive responsibilities they take on in their positions. It would be ideal to put him in as a sub for our attacking mid. And he would've been great to sub in during the Arsenal match, but the Pienaar injury kind of forced Roberto's hand early, and I don't think he wanted to sub out Osman who had already been subbed in (if I'm remembering correctly).

Maybe we will see him against Chelsea. Who knows!

I think Roberto has a tough time subbing out Barry or McCarthy for Besic because of the massive responsibilities they take on in their positions. It would be ideal to put him in as a sub for our attacking mid. And he would've been great to sub in during the Arsenal match, but the Pienaar injury kind of forced Roberto's hand early, and I don't think he wanted to sub out Osman who had already been subbed in (if I'm remembering correctly).

Maybe we will see him against Chelsea. Who knows!

does that mean besic is not ready for a bigger role like barry or mccarthy? too young?

does that mean besic is not ready for a bigger role like barry or mccarthy? too young?

Someone made the point that the team balance has to be respected, dropping either McCarthy or Barry would upset this both on the pitch and mentally. This is why I want to try the 433 mentioned in the Chelsea thread, gives him a good introduction and we can try him out as a box to box in Barkleys absence.

You can't look at it in a vacuum like that. Could Besic be ready? Possibly. But only 11 players can be on the field at one time. The question instead is, "does he deserve to play over McCarthy or Barry" That's going to be a rough one for Besic to conquer. Those two were huge rocks centrally for Everton last season. Martinez isn't going to sacrifice one of those two ESPECIALLY against teams like Arsenal or Chelsea just so he can show off the new shiny toy.

Most likely, Besic is going to spend this season as a substitute who starts whenever there's an injury or fitness concern as well as getting big minutes in Europa and cup matches. That's quite fine. Besic is only 21. There's no rush here.

433 against Chelsea is far too risky. We need to stick to our principles

the only difference between 433 and 4231 is that there is a real box to box mid, which it think you were crying out for at some point last season. Doesn't change our principles at all, just gives us a bit more defensive cover to cope with Hazard, Oscar and Schurlle and gives us someone who can deliver wider distribution which will be essential during counter attacks (which is how I see us playing today)

Hasn't Besic also played (very well I understand) at CB previously?

yup, in Hungary

You can't look at it in a vacuum like that. Could Besic be ready? Possibly. But only 11 players can be on the field at one time. The question instead is, "does he deserve to play over McCarthy or Barry" That's going to be a rough one for Besic to conquer. Those two were huge rocks centrally for Everton last season. Martinez isn't going to sacrifice one of those two ESPECIALLY against teams like Arsenal or Chelsea just so he can show off the new shiny toy.

Most likely, Besic is going to spend this season as a substitute who starts whenever there's an injury or fitness concern as well as getting big minutes in Europa and cup matches. That's quite fine. Besic is only 21. There's no rush here.

thanks. besic will just have to wait his turn. the good news is that he's ours and he has some serious skill. i guess as the season goes along and with all the europa matches, we will have to play him and give him quality mins so we don't kill our players by the end fo the season.