IGNORED

Wolfsburg

Matt

3-3 probably would have been a fair result. Disappointing, but closer to actual play on the pitch. Baines really good defensively today. Eto'o very impressive. Jagielka wildly inconsistent. Many good hustle plays on our goals. Defense tired last 20 minutes, or more.

Shots/on goal -- Everton 12/7, W 27/13.

Edited by Elston Gunnn

Shocking second half in truth. We did our usual trick of sitting too deep and having no pressure on the ball combined with having too many passengers (McGeady, Lukaku and Naismith).

We picked up again once Etoo came on because we could at least push out a little more and whilst Gibson help bring a better balance centrally he had a bit of a shocker really (one shot on goal but Im not sure he completed a pass, got caught on the ball and gave away the freekick for the goal) albeit he is sure to be rusty.

Jagielka was steadily getting further on my tits as well. Constantly hesitating and at no point was he trying to get us up the pitch despite Martinez shouting at his players to do so. Good captains should know that themselves and manage those situations better. Stones was guilty of trying to control a ball he should have just cleared and he was a little off positionally on a couple of crosses but on the whole he did well. Coleman was hung out to dry by McGeady. The latter tried to get back but he was fucking useless and he cocked up plenty of moves at the other end as well. Naismith was tasked with making it a midfield 3 without possession but it didnt really work as he was caught out plenty of times.

Frustrating game because we did a lot of good stuff in the first half and we even showed glimpses in the second (nice cameo from Etoo especially) but we cant sit that deep and apply so little pressure on the ball. We need to be more on the front foot defensively because that is when we are at our best and push the back line up and close down more aggressively.

Edited by Bailey

Strange one that. From the sounds of the first half we were battered. From what I saw in the second half we were battered, and yet we've come out looking comfortable winners. Wolfsburg will do well in this group and their left back will be at Bayern by year's end. A draw in the other game does us now harm, but it's clear Krasnodar aren't the whipping boys. At win at their ground though and we'll be in good stead.

As to this game, I'd've liked the subs earlier. And is Atsu shit? How's he not got on? Don't see what we stood to learn or gain from bringing Osman on at the death. It's going to have to be changes at the weekend as we've put in a real shift tonight.

made up, great way to start the european campaign, especially after krasnodar and lille drew 1-1. hope the winning, attacking, and goals continue with our premiership campaign as well.

very happy with baines, howard, stones, lukaku (thought he had some nice runs and stretched the defense). i'd like to see a different 11 play against palace.

Got to be pleased with a 4-1 win tonight. Never thought that would be so. In fairness, the scoreline is a bit flattering. Wolfsburg had far too many chances for my liking.

What's also pleasing is that we have Barkley, Pienaar, Oviedo, Distin missing...superb.

We weren't at our best today. The best is still to come. We are still learning our way.

So I said I wasn't impressed with Lukaku in the first half. And got a bit of light backlash. Well, sorry, but I was right, as it continued into the 2nd half. The difference can be seen when Eto'o came on...the difference in control, turning, passing, movement. Lukaku will learn loads from this guy.

I've got mixed feelings tonight. A very good result against a good team. Yet still too many 'imperfections' in our game.

Great result but we aren't anywhere near as fluent as we were last season.

I'm still not convinced by Mcgeady. He's involved a lot more but he gives the ball away a lot. As I've said before I don't think we're a better side with him playing. Mirallas was very quite tonight his worst game in a while (although he got the goal)

McCarty was brilliant and Eto'o just oozes class. For me Naismith again was the top performer he never stops.

Great result but we aren't anywhere near as fluent as we were last season.

I'm still not convinced by Mcgeady. He's involved a lot more but he gives the ball away a lot. As I've said before I don't think we're a better side with him playing. Mirallas was very quite tonight his worst game in a while (although he got the goal)

McCarty was brilliant and Eto'o just oozes class. For me Naismith again was the top performer he never stops.

agreed, mcgeady started out well, had a couple decent passes and such, but he's not consistent and he leans to the negative far more than the positive with his actions. would love to see atsu start there, or get pienaar back and put kev on the right.

agreed, mcgeady started out well, had a couple decent passes and such, but he's not consistent and he leans to the negative far more than the positive with his actions. would love to see atsu start there, or get pienaar back and put kev on the right.

I also don't think he compliments Coleman. He hugs the touchline, whereas Mirallas will go inside and provide the space for Coleman to run into. Kev and Coleman have a better understanding at present!

Shocking second half in truth. We did our usual trick of sitting too deep and having no pressure on the ball combined with having too many passengers (McGeady, Lukaku and Naismith).

We picked up again once Etoo came on because we could at least push out a little more and whilst Gibson help bring a better balance centrally he had a bit of a shocker really (one shot on goal but Im not sure he completed a pass, got caught on the ball and gave away the freekick for the goal) albeit he is sure to be rusty.

Jagielka was steadily getting further on my tits as well. Constantly hesitating and at no point was he trying to get us up the pitch despite Martinez shouting at his players to do so. Good captains should know that themselves and manage those situations better. Stones was guilty of trying to control a ball he should have just cleared and he was a little off positionally on a couple of crosses but on the whole he did well. Coleman was hung out to dry by McGeady. The latter tried to get back but he was fucking useless and he cocked up plenty of moves at the other end as well. Naismith was tasked with making it a midfield 3 without possession but it didnt really work as he was caught out plenty of times.

Frustrating game because we did a lot of good stuff in the first half and we even showed glimpses in the second (nice cameo from Etoo especially) but we cant sit that deep and apply so little pressure on the ball. We need to be more on the front foot defensively because that is when we are at our best and push the back line up and close down more aggressively.

Why? Just why even make nearly a full paragraph on Gibson? As though he cost is the game. They had 3 or 4 free kicks from similar positions because of other players jumping in. They were bound to tick one off. I thought he did ok but to point him out over 10 minutes is just ridiculous. You nailed it he's bound to be rusty. But you could still see he's a decent footballer and yes he did complete a pass.

I also don't think he compliments Coleman. He hugs the touchline, whereas Mirallas will go inside and provide the space for Coleman to run into. Kev and Coleman have a better understanding at present!

yes yes yes i think this every game. like dude coleman goes the distance, you need to cut inside, it's like he's taking away a major facet to coleman's game, one in which he is very good as well.

I must say that I'm really upset that I had class during the entire game (and a class where we can't use laptops mind you). Ecstatic about the result but it seems like Wolfsburg created a lot of chances, just couldn't put them away. Will be interesting to see what we do for our next two games. Also wish the youngsters would have gotten a run (don't mind Gibson coming on but Osman, really?)