IGNORED

James McCarthy

He was on half of what the likes of jags was, I think he has earned it. If "what was reported" is true then the club made promises.

Agree, he deserves to be around the top earners of the club. Glad we have him tied down hope he pushes on and finds that extra level.

He was on half of what the likes of jags was, I think he has earned it. If "what was reported" is true then the club made promises.

He's like every other greedy footballer, I don't care if they play for Everton, they hold clubs to ransome with their ' not sure if I'm going to sign a new contract ' shit.They just want more money.

Jags has been an England regular and even when we sold Lescott to City the talk was they (City) had bought the wrong player.I don't know or care how much Jags is on or how much McCarthy was and now is getting, they are all greedy, it's a just a simple fact.

McCarthy got what he wanted, like most footballers, football is blighted, we can never change it now, my statement stands he still needs to prove his self, to me an over paid Jags has done that.

To me McCarthy is a slightly better than average midfielder, his agent has done a great job.I'll be looking for a more worthy player over the next few seasons.

I think McCarthy is a quality midfielder, he has a great engine, can tackle, pass and can read the game very well. He is only going to get better.

If he was promised a new contract then it is only fair we give him one.

It is the state of the game, with Sky and BT paying mega money to clubs, its only natural the players are going to ask for their share.

I'm not saying it is right, or moral, it is however a sad reflection of the society in which we live.

Guest rusty747

Knackered old git nostalgia alert here!

In the mid 80's Reidy and Brace were our midfield engine room. Reidy was diminutive, always up for a battle and never once shirked a challenge. Although Rat was the captain, Reidy was our (my) talisman. This is the season that Jimmy Mac has to become a modern day Reidy. The guy that can give you the look if we go a goal down that says, Don't worry boys, we will score at least three without reply now'

As for a Brace, several contenders but none are quite 100%. I like Cleverley but he is a different player to Brace. Ross is, i believe, better suited to further up the field and flits in and out of games too much. Mo is more of a Barry replacement for next season. We need another Brace/Arteta/Manny Fernandes type of player to dominate the middle of the park.

Any suggestions?

For me, based on what we have, and assuming fit, I would like a 4-1-4-1 line up:

Howard

Coleman Stones Jags Baines

McCarthy

Del Boy Cleverley Barkley Mirallas

Rom

Edited by rusty747

He's like every other greedy footballer, I don't care if they play for Everton, they hold clubs to ransome with their ' not sure if I'm going to sign a new contract ' shit.They just want more money.

Jags has been an England regular and even when we sold Lescott to City the talk was they (City) had bought the wrong player.I don't know or care how much Jags is on or how much McCarthy was and now is getting, they are all greedy, it's a just a simple fact.

McCarthy got what he wanted, like most footballers, football is blighted, we can never change it now, my statement stands he still needs to prove his self, to me an over paid Jags has done that.

To me McCarthy is a slightly better than average midfielder, his agent has done a great job.I'll be looking for a more worthy player over the next few seasons.

I guess the appreciation of McCarthy comes with seeing so many pretenders to the job he does. So called "water carriers" - in a role that seems very simple but it isn't - he's exceptionally good.

I'm sure he can try and get on motd highlights by doing a strpvover, smashing one from 30 yards or pinging 25 yard cross field passes. That isn't his game, he's a shield and a bloody good one, he turns us from defending into attacking.

The game is greedy, but the lad hasn't been bitching to the press and if he was on £30k then ffs when you see lukaku on £75,jags, barry and Coleman on 60k. Then it's fair enough.

Wanting parity with the going rate isn't greed, in my opinion. It's about wanting to be recognized and treated equally.

Anyway, made up this is all done and dusted :)

I agree - i'd love to see people on here find out that they are on half the wages of lesser performing team mates - knowing quite well that another company would treble their pay and kinda just say "oh well".

It seems that he accepted a double your wages deal after wigan and given the incentive to prove himself and then the contract would be looked at... by all accounts that wasnt happening and rightly so he felt aggrieved.

It's not like he has been dropping lines in the media inviting speculation.

He's signed, he's a good lad and i'm made up that its another one in the face to the press.