IGNORED

James McCarthy

• 11 months later...

£24m is being talked about. After his 1st season - no chance. After his 2nd season - it wouldn't be the end of the world but I'd rather keep hold of him. After last season - snap their hands off.

I'd love him to become the first season James McCarthy but if Koeman doesn't see him as a player he wants and at £24m then it could be a good deal for all.

£24m is being talked about. After his 1st season - no chance. After his 2nd season - it wouldn't be the end of the world but I'd rather keep hold of him. After last season - snap their hands off.

I'd love him to become the first season James McCarthy but if Koeman doesn't see him as a player he wants and at £24m then it could be a good deal for all.

are you serious? i'll pay for a flight to england and pay for the rental car to drive him myself. wow. 24m in this market, please cash in ronny, please. witsel, schneiderlin, carvalho would all be upgrades.

No no, this guys was a £30m+ Player 18 months ago. Surely worth £50m now.

I'd be happy if we got our money back for him and he's nowhere near this club again.

I'd be happy if we got our money back for him and he's nowhere near this club again.

Everyone's in agreement that his stock has lowered from how good he was in the first season. That's why a large majority would sell now at £24m whereas most probably wouldn't have 18months ago. It happens.

Id like to keep him for one more season to see who turns up. Last seasons or two seasons ago McCarthy. (He was probably and arguably our best player that season)

Maybe it was RM that tried to change him last year. Perhaps RK will find a better role for him.

I would not sell 2 seasons ago McCarthy for anything.

Sounds like he's been carrying injuries for a while, buy Witsel or other new quality player and rest McCarthy get him fully fit in the meantime use Barry/Besic.

Hopefully with a different training regimes players like McCarthy Besic etc will be playing more and be fitter which definitely was an issue last season. Too many injuries and tiredness leading to late goals against.

Yes, yes he was. But he's been a shadow of the player he was, so nearly £25m is very tempting.

I'd still like to see if Koeman can get the McCarthy from the first season, but fear his injuries and mismanagement have made that impossible

Season 13/14 he was outstanding. The last 2 seasons don't change that (as much as some would like them to)

It all changed when he did his hamstring in on November 9th 2014 - up till that point he was brilliant. We were doing well in the league - he was rushed back, did his hammy in again on the 27th Nov, then again on 28th December..... its pretty much ruined him. Danny Donachie left as head of medicine just a day or two after his last hamstring injury..... make of that what you will.

Now anyone who doesn't think he was an important player look at the results that we had when he was out.... we dropped like a stone.

Personally I think those injuries have made him a shadow of the player he was. He may have a good engine still but he lacks that acceleration and it isn't coming back. Its a pity.

Some analysts could find a correlation between James MCCarthy's form and the overall form of the team. They (arguably) coincide too much. We haven't been the same since he hasn't that first year?

More integral than we all even thought he was?

I did that a while back and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I want to see McCarthy come good again. At his best in 2013/2014, he was one of the most useful players I've ever seen in our midfield. Covered an immense amount of territory. Hopefully his lack of form has been due to poor confidence, naggling injuries, and a poor team and manager around him. If he never returns to top form because of injury accumulation (hamstring), it's a real shame because he was one I was thinking could boss our midfield for a long time and potentially grow into the captain role.

What gave McCarthy his edge was his mobility - I said when we got him that he would give us what Fellaini couldn't and that was a snapping "mobile" presence in midfield rather than a 6ft5 non specific midfielder who jogged around like a basketball player.

Fellaini was one of the most dribbled past players in the league - whilst he was a good goal threat he wasn't a midfielder.

McCarthy's mobility made a night and day difference to the team, he could cover the full back using great acceleration against wingers - had the stamina to do the same in the centre. Without that pace and ability to change direction that he had I do not think he is worth keeping - not for the potential money we could get. Witsel would be an upgrade albeit very similar in a "boring" sense.

Season 13/14 he was outstanding. The last 2 seasons don't change that (as much as some would like them to)

It all changed when he did his hamstring in on November 9th 2014 - up till that point he was brilliant. We were doing well in the league - he was rushed back, did his hammy in again on the 27th Nov, then again on 28th December..... its pretty much ruined him. Danny Donachie left as head of medicine just a day or two after his last hamstring injury..... make of that what you will.

Now anyone who doesn't think he was an important player look at the results that we had when he was out.... we dropped like a stone.

Personally I think those injuries have made him a shadow of the player he was. He may have a good engine still but he lacks that acceleration and it isn't coming back. Its a pity.

Totally agree , how anybody could argue with how good he was in his first season is totally beyond me

His greatest assets were his work rate and his pace and unfortunately his hamstrings going have ruined both aspects of his game. No manager can bring that back so if someone offers anywhere nest £20m we should snatch their hand off

Agree with both, but one thing he can still learn and has to a good degree is positioning and ball winning ability. Not ideal but Barry can do it and he's 10years his senior

Barry is a better footballer than him with a greater range of passing and more composure. By nature mccarthy is a jobber, without his mobility he is a very average player, gives away far more fouls now. Sad to see.

Edited by Hafnia

Barry is a better footballer than him with a greater range of passing and more composure. By nature mccarthy is a jobber, without his mobility he is a very average player, gives away far more fouls now. Sad to see.

i know I'm clutching at straws but what Barry what he is now 10 years ago?