IGNORED

Kalidou Koulibaly

30 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I didn't see Allan or James coming to a side that was in a relegation fight a few months before.... But they did.  Carlo. 

Couldn’t agree more, yes we are still a mid table club at the moment  but we can sell potential new signings a vision, as you say we have already lured the likes of James and Allan to the club , we have a lot of exciting young players already here with the likes of DCL and Richy and with planning permission now finally granted we have a magnificent new ground on the horizon and we have Usmanov and Moshiri ready to bank roll a revolution then last but not least we have Carlo. Anyone who has read his book will know what his ex players think about him so I don’t think it’s beyond us to be able to convince one (Koulubaly) to be a part of that project

If we somehow manage to still qualify for Europe as well then I think that would make us a very attractive proposition to potential new players

13 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Couldn’t agree more, yes we are still a mid table club at the moment  but we can sell potential new signings a vision, as you say we have already lured the likes of James and Allan to the club , we have a lot of exciting young players already here with the likes of DCL and Richy and with planning permission now finally granted we have a magnificent new ground on the horizon and we have Usmanov and Moshiri ready to bank roll a revolution then last but not least we have Carlo. Anyone who has read his book will know what his ex players think about him so I don’t think it’s beyond us to be able to convince one (Koulubaly) to be a part of that project

If we somehow manage to still qualify for Europe as well then I think that would make us a very attractive proposition to potential new players

This 100%. Europe is vital. We need to get our recruitment bang on though this window. Koulibaly could be immense for us for 3 years and along with Max Aarons completes our back 4 nicely. Throw in a Leon Baily/Sarr type winger and we could very well push on next year.

The reality of this situation is that quite frankly we need to pay good money for a player with little resale value.

Paying £40m for a player in a key position who can almost guarantee you elite level defending and leadership for 3/4 years is nothing when you look at what we are trying to achieve.

I would pay £70m for him.  It's a key role and yes we have centre halves and look well stocked but none are elite level.

He is the type of signing that stops all this "who's fault was it".... He will organise the defence and the team will play at a higher level. 

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I didn't see Allan or James coming to a side that was in a relegation fight a few months before.... But they did.  Carlo. 

I think it's the project, too. Moshiri sold that to Carlo; Carlo and the project sells it to new players. We don't know what was said behind the scenes but I'm sure James would have been kept in the loop - we're getting A, B and C - this window is absolutely crucial in terms of development and I think Carlo, Brands and the club know that. Although we're really flagging at the moment - injuries, form, performances - a summer of good transfer business will change all that. I am not really bothered about Europe unless it's CL. Europa is a drain on resources with little reward unless you win it, but as we're going to finish top 4 next season, that's a moot point. I want us to be good and Koulibaly would improve us no end, provided we get the RW, RB, CF and two fast, young, creative box to box CM. Then we're talking!  

18 minutes ago, Formby said:

I think it's the project, too. Moshiri sold that to Carlo; Carlo and the project sells it to new players. We don't know what was said behind the scenes but I'm sure James would have been kept in the loop - we're getting A, B and C - this window is absolutely crucial in terms of development and I think Carlo, Brands and the club know that. Although we're really flagging at the moment - injuries, form, performances - a summer of good transfer business will change all that. I am not really bothered about Europe unless it's CL. Europa is a drain on resources with little reward unless you win it, but as we're going to finish top 4 next season, that's a moot point. I want us to be good and Koulibaly would improve us no end, provided we get the RW, RB, CF and two fast, young, creative box to box CM. Then we're talking!  

The inability to rotate players of a marginal ability differential has cost us big time.

In midfield we have 2 players of the minimum level we require - and that means at best we have been playing with a 3rd midfielder who isn't good enough.... Davies, Gomes , Siggy - none are good enough I'm afraid.  I would have Davies as a bench player and as someone who could get better. 

Having 2 players we overly rely on has meant they are susceptible to injury.... Which we have seen 

Realistically. .. we need 5 players to have a team that may get us threatening top 4. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

The inability to rotate players of a marginal ability differential has cost us big time.

In midfield we have 2 players of the minimum level we require - and that means at best we have been playing with a 3rd midfielder who isn't good enough.... Davies, Gomes , Siggy - none are good enough I'm afraid.  I would have Davies as a bench player and as someone who could get better. 

Having 2 players we overly rely on has meant they are susceptible to injury.... Which we have seen 

Realistically. .. we need 5 players to have a team that may get us threatening top 4. 

I agree with that, but, the form Davies was in just before Allan came back had me thinking he could finally step up and be the third alongside Allan and Doucoure. I really wanted to see it. I’d love nothing more than Davies being that player. But I doubt we’ll ever really know. 

12 minutes ago, StevO said:

I agree with that, but, the form Davies was in just before Allan came back had me thinking he could finally step up and be the third alongside Allan and Doucoure. I really wanted to see it. I’d love nothing more than Davies being that player. But I doubt we’ll ever really know. 

My concern with Davies is physicality - nowhere near strong enough and he's very one paced.  He can run all day but lacks any zip.  In the modern game as a midfielder it doesn't fit. 

He looks the type of player who would do well in a different league like Italy.  He takes a ball well and looks to do something with it.  I really like the lad and everything about him as a person and professional. 

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

more i think about this more excited, this guy and godfrey/keane/holgate/branthwaite (we have good 2nd CB depth) would be excellent.  Aarons at RB and that back 4 is SOLID.  Focus on RW and CM and we're off.

Need to buy 3/4 CMs  .... Get rid of Sig and Gomes in the process.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Agreed! 5 very good players needed.

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i disagree, we have no attacking depth, richi dcl james go down we are screwed, we have a dearth of CM (i know some are pedestrian).  CB RB and Fowards for me.  get a loaned CM in.

I'm not saying we don't need attacking depth.... We do.  But a massive priority is the midfield.

Centre half (swap mina with koulibaily) RB, 2 midfielders plus 2 replacements for gomes and gylfi, one striker, one wide player....

Probably need more.

11 hours ago, Hafnia said:

They arent the same kettle of fish though. James is a luxury player who plenty of decent sides wouldnt need to risk buying (work rate, position, injury history). There still wont be a queue to sign him this summer either. Allan wasnt even starting for Napoli, is probably on his last decent contract and isnt one of the best in his position in the world. 

They also came when the aura was still there about what we could achieve. We have played under Ancellotti for 18 months now, new signings will be under no illusions. 

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I'm not saying we don't need attacking depth.... We do.  But a massive priority is the midfield.

Centre half (swap mina with koulibaily) RB, 2 midfielders plus 2 replacements for gomes and gylfi, one striker, one wide player....

Probably need more.

Koulibaly

Max Aarons

Marcel Sabitzer (1 year left on contract)

Lacazette ( 1 year on contract )

Leon Bailey/Sarr 

Probably a goalie be it Olsen or this Napoli guy.

Then a couple of younger unknowns and that would be a strong window.

32 minutes ago, Btay said:

Koulibaly

Max Aarons

Marcel Sabitzer (1 year left on contract)

Lacazette ( 1 year on contract )

Leon Bailey/Sarr 

Probably a goalie be it Olsen or this Napoli guy.

Then a couple of younger unknowns and that would be a strong window.

Get Gana Gueye back..... See him tonight?  Unreal.