IGNORED

Kalidou Koulibaly

1 minute ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

All the best teams and champions have a solid defence, it's the absolute backbone of any eleven. It's absolutely critical that we sign a centre back this summer and anyone suggesting otherwise is mental.

Without sounding rude some of the posts in this thread have genuinely made me speechless - one of the best teams in the Premier League's era was Mourinho's 2005 title winning Chelsea as they conceded 15 goals. Don't need to do much up top when you're conceding none every week.

Given our squad, would you say that a CB  is the top need?

If not what positions do you think need filling before CB?

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Talking about the modern game mike.  Liverpool won because of that gnarly front 3 and their pace, 

In Liverpool's title winning season they scored 85 goals, which is 17 less than Manchester City who came 2nd. They also conceded 33 goals which was the lowest in the league, 2 less than Manchester City.

The joke every season was that Liverpool had world class talent up front but absolute buffoons at the back; Mignolet, Karius, Klavan, Lovren - it's no surprise that as soon as they fixed their defence (signing Alisson and VVD) they went to 2nd place (where any other time it would have been enough for 1st) and won the league the season after that.

To suggest that Liverpool won the league due to their attack, not their defence is just simply untrue.

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

branthwaite wasn't signed by brands, he was signed by Unsworth for the U23, just like DCL.  

I don’t know why I’m replying but I don’t know how not to. This is fucking ridiculous! Who do you think Unsworth answers to? Do you think Unsworth has his own scouting network that don’t also work for Brands? Do you think in between games for the U23 and running the academy Unsworth has time to go looking for these players? No. Brands scouting team do this and will work with Unsworth. But let’s just give it to Unsworth because you hate his boss. I bet if Branthwaite turns out to be shit he’ll be one of Brands boys then. 

2 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Given our squad, would you say that a CB  is the top need?

If not what positions do you think need filling before CB?

1. CB - Happy to move Mina on to fund this, I'm in the minority that likes him but he just can't stay fit long enough.

2. RB - To replace Seamus, Max Aarons would be my preferred choice with us moving God Benfrey back into RCB.

3. LW/RW - Happy to sell the likes of Bernard and/or Iwobi to help with this.

4. ST - should Kean depart, which is likely. Outside of DCL we have horrendous depth up top, bar shoehorning Charlie there.

Just now, Zoo 2.0 said:

1. CB - Happy to move Mina on to fund this, I'm in the minority that likes him but he just can't stay fit long enough.

2. RB - To replace Seamus, Max Aarons would be my preferred choice with us moving God Benfrey back into RCB.

3. LW/RW - Happy to sell the likes of Bernard and/or Iwobi to help with this.

4. ST - should Kean depart, which is likely. Outside of DCL we have horrendous depth up top, bar shoehorning Charlie there.

I would have CB at choice 5 with creative mid in at no 4, we need creativity, it was painful watching us when James was not playing.

Don't get me wrong I would like to sign a top CB like Koulibaly, but dealing with Napoli is probably the most agonizing transfer business in world football. Their chairman is a nut job.

The fee would be very high and the wages astronomical. Even if we sold Mina, Bernard, Siggy, Iwobi it is unlikely we could afford to fill all the positions that need filling if we sign  Koulibaly. 

So simply for pragmatic reasons we must fill the other positions first.

1 minute ago, London Blue said:

So simply for pragmatic reasons we must fill the other positions first.

That's a bit like saying the roof has fallen off your house but you're paying to have the kitchen taps changed instead as it's cheaper. I'd rather we worked on the problems that need fixing and can bear the best reward over what is the easiest/cheapest option. 

I agree that creativity is key (and needed) but the mantra I always used when viewing football and coaching is that you can score 7 goals a game but it'll give you fuck all if you've got a shit defence that concedes 8. Keep things tight at the back and you need just one goal to win; a tap-in, penalty, deflection of the goalkeepers arse who cares? Defence is king to me and it's proven throughout history that the team that concedes the least generally lifts shiny things at the end of the competition.

17 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

That's a bit like saying the roof has fallen off your house but you're paying to have the kitchen taps changed instead as it's cheaper. I'd rather we worked on the problems that need fixing and can bear the best reward over what is the easiest/cheapest option. 

I agree that creativity is key (and needed) but the mantra I always used when viewing football and coaching is that you can score 7 goals a game but it'll give you fuck all if you've got a shit defence that concedes 8. Keep things tight at the back and you need just one goal to win; a tap-in, penalty, deflection of the goalkeepers arse who cares? Defence is king to me and it's proven throughout history that the team that concedes the least generally lifts shiny things at the end of the competition.

True, but we have Keane, Godfrey, Mina and Holgate,  and defensively we were ok, not great but ok last year conceding 48 goals. We  conceded to many goals when we had midfield problems, especially when Alan was injured and the defence lost their protection. 

We only scored 47 goals which is pathetic, if we want Europe we need a good defence but we must create and score more goals.

Our problem last season wasn’t that we conceded for fun, it was that we were toothless at the other end of the pitch. So I have no idea how anyone can see signing a CB as the number one priority this summer - that is bonkers.

Fabrizio Romano reckons they’ll be wanting a shit load more than we’ve offered - around £70m - so that will be our whole budget you’d think. Fuck. That. 

45 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Our problem last season wasn’t that we conceded for fun, it was that we were toothless at the other end of the pitch. So I have no idea how anyone can see signing a CB as the number one priority this summer - that is bonkers.

Fabrizio Romano reckons they’ll be wanting a shit load more than we’ve offered - around £70m - so that will be our whole budget you’d think. Fuck. That. 

Hear hear

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I can't be asked to go back through the last few pages, but was anyone saying that CB should be #1 priority? We were discussing how vital a strong defence is, but unless I'm mistaken, no one said Koulibaly should be our #1 target. Or any other CB for that matter.

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

You lose games with centre backs though.  Look at what happened to Liverpool when they signed VVD  ..... Koulibaily is that level.  Bigger though.  I didn't read the replies above but I just did so editing ....

Having a centre half like VVD enables your middle players and forward players to commit.  

The Everton side of 84 were not scared to lose the ball because of the defence and goalkeeper.  It really does make that much of a difference ....  Watch a team attack when they worry about their defence - it's a non entity. 

I totally agree that strong defense always trumps strong offense. The issue being overlooked here, I think, is that VVD was 26 years old and in his prime when signed by Liverpool. Koulibaly is already 30 and arguably past his prime. Also, VVD had already proved himself in the Premier League, whereas Koulibaly has not.

I'd feel more comfortable if we were chasing someone five years younger and with PL experience.

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I totally agree that strong defense always trumps strong offense. The issue being overlooked here, I think, is that VVD was 26 years old and in his prime when signed by Liverpool. Koulibaly is already 30 and arguably past his prime. Also, VVD had already proved himself in the Premier League, whereas Koulibaly has not.

I'd feel more comfortable if we were chasing someone five years younger and with PL experience.

30 is nothing for a centre half of Koulibailys athletic capabilities.  Look at Distin.

We would get 4 years top quality from him at least.  

Premier league would not be an issue for him whatsoever

7 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I can't be asked to go back through the last few pages, but was anyone saying that CB should be #1 priority? We were discussing how vital a strong defence is, but unless I'm mistaken, no one said Koulibaly should be our #1 target. Or any other CB for that matter.

You are mistaken. You didn't even need to go back a few pages, it's on this page where someone does list CB as the number one.

You're welcome.

I dont expect Koulibaly to wear our shirt - I think if it was true that Carlo wanted him last season then the board /brands probably said ok you need a new CB - try looking at Godfrey instead. If Rafa wants another CB/Koulibaly the board will probably do the same.

Be interesting to know how the board/DoF/manager go about their transfer plans - does the manager say he wants player 1, 2 and 3 for example. Argue his case why that player and why that position and then the board/DoF say 'ok, you convinced us you need a winger or full back, but we are not going for Player 1 or Player 2 - take a look at Player A, Player B that our scouts have on their books'? 

I agree in part with MJB on this. For us and for the tactics Benitez is likely to use, having a world class centre back (if Koulibaly is that), isn't going to be as important to us as it would be to a Liverpool, City or United etc. 

It certainly won't do us any harm of course but we are not going to be playing free flowing front foot attacking football and therefore I can see all of our centre backs having good seasons because they will be well protected. 

I expect the success of our season will be determined by how well we transition into attack and how we unlock packed defences. If we are going to spend big we need to do it on someone that will transform our attacking play. 

20 hours ago, Bailey said:

I agree in part with MJB on this. For us and for the tactics Benitez is likely to use, having a world class centre back (if Koulibaly is that), isn't going to be as important to us as it would be to a Liverpool, City or United etc. 

It certainly won't do us any harm of course but we are not going to be playing free flowing front foot attacking football and therefore I can see all of our centre backs having good seasons because they will be well protected. 

I expect the success of our season will be determined by how well we transition into attack and how we unlock packed defences. If we are going to spend big we need to do it on someone that will transform our attacking play. 

Saint-maximin maybe??

This is a bit of a dream signing for me. 
We have average defenders at the moment.  This would add a world class defender to our ranks.

age, sell on margin, value for money….. that bullshits for statos to cry over. 

If we have chance to sign this guy, then step up and sign him….. don’t listen to anyone other than the person holding the cheque book.

Yeah, if the price is reasonable I say we go for it. I think he goes into the starting lineup with either Keane/Mina/Godfrey.

Holgate I’m just not sure about atm. He was shocking last season relative to the season before. If we did get Koulibaby in then I guess one needs to go, and I’m impartial whether it’s Keane/Mina/Holgate. Godfrey is a must keep. 

3 hours ago, Sibdane said:

Yeah, if the price is reasonable I say we go for it. I think he goes into the starting lineup with either Keane/Mina/Godfrey.

Holgate I’m just not sure about atm. He was shocking last season relative to the season before. If we did get Koulibaby in then I guess one needs to go, and I’m impartial whether it’s Keane/Mina/Holgate. Godfrey is a must keep. 

I think if we are signing him either Mina or Keane must go. Mina is the better defender for me but his fitness is inconsistent where Keane is reliable but performance is inconsistent.