IGNORED

Kalidou Koulibaly

10 minutes ago, StevO said:

I’ve never seen him, but if he is really one of the best centre backs in the world and we can get him then we should. 
We should always buy better where possible. That said, not bothered if we don’t, I like our centre halves, and this shouldn’t be at the expense of some other positions that need to be strengthened. 

For me centre half and centre mid is where we need 2 players of pure alpha male leadership and quality.  Allan is the man in the middle of the park and koulibaily could be that man at the back.

It could be that Godfrey becomes a right back - let's face it he can play most positions by the looks of things but his ability to charge up the pitch can be an asset at full back. 

Koulibaily is another statement signing. .  Getting him in will make it easier to get other targets in too. 

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

For me centre half and centre mid is where we need 2 players of pure alpha male leadership and quality.  Allan is the man in the middle of the park and koulibaily could be that man at the back.

It could be that Godfrey becomes a right back - let's face it he can play most positions by the looks of things but his ability to charge up the pitch can be an asset at full back. 

Koulibaily is another statement signing. .  Getting him in will make it easier to get other targets in too. 

Goes to show how versatile and valuable Godfrey has been for us this year: I had forgotten that he's naturally right-footed. Hadn't even thought of him as potentially being the solution at right back

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Goes to show how versatile and valuable Godfrey has been for us this year: I had forgotten that he's naturally right-footed. Hadn't even thought of him as potentially being the solution at right back

No no no .....  You don't spend £20m on a centre half and play him elsewhere!

Sorry couldn't resist.  

36 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

the owner is a notorious hardass and gets max value for his players, i believe he is very wealthy on top of that.  unless there is some financial crisis there i'll have to see it to believe it.  at 39m it's a good deal, even i would take that and i don't think we need another CB.  

He was a hardarse with Allan till Allan basically told him "I'm not leaving for any club other than Everton" which got his price down 

8 minutes ago, Btay said:

£43 million is the fee required apparently. It’s a lot of money no doubt but he is one of the best in the world in his position. If we got £20/15 million for Holgate it would be a no brainer in my opinion.

That's a bargain really, he's a player who can set the standard for the defence. A mentor to the younger players.  

Ideally we wouldn't need to buy him but we are in the position where statement signings will improve our appeal to players in other positions. 

26 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

That's a bargain really, he's a player who can set the standard for the defence. A mentor to the younger players.  

Ideally we wouldn't need to buy him but we are in the position where statement signings will improve our appeal to players in other positions. 

It’s a lot of money still in this economic climate but 3/4 years of his prime would be immense for us. Especially while Godfrey continues to develop into what I have no doubts will be a very very good player.

Touted as one of the best in the world, if he chooses to come here what a message that would send out to the rest of Europe, players that help teams become successful generally cover their costs through the position the team advances to, and merchandising sales and sponsor deals. As a supporter I want to see the best players in the world play for us, am I worried about what he costs not really just get him here. 

5 hours ago, BedfordBlue said:

Nothing wrong with the 4 centre backs we have need a right back better off spending money in positions that need strengthening 

I’d swap Holgate or Mina in heartbeat for this fella though. Not an urgent priority in the window but if we can get 2/3 in plus this deal that’s a huge window.

13 hours ago, BedfordBlue said:

Nothing wrong with the 4 centre backs we have need a right back better off spending money in positions that need strengthening 

100% agree that we are well stocked at CB,especially if you throw Gibson and Branthwaite into the mix, and so other areas are more important but if there is even the slightest chance of getting a player in of Koulibalys calibre then we absolutely have to take that chance for all the reasons others have stated 

Getting James was a huge coup and raised the profile of the club immeasurably but getting one of the best CB in the world in his prime would even top that for me

But the source says that while Ancelotti ‘admires’ the 26-year-old, the manager believes deep down that he is ‘too erratic and error-prone’ to play for a top-tier side.

The source, aka the writer of this article. Why not just say in their opinion it would be good for both parties. Fucking needless lies do my head in.

On 29/03/2021 at 17:29, Matt said:

Because the asking price has always been astronomical?

If VVD went for £75 mil and Dias for 68 million euros, the figure seems in the right kind of ball park for someone who is regarded as one of the best CB's in world football. No-one was suggesting Dias was anywhere near that calibre but a deal was done for not much less than the touted fee for this lad.

Maybe he just didn't want to leave as he was being managed by some good managers and he was playing every week, including in the Champions League.

16 minutes ago, Bailey said:

If VVD went for £75 mil and Dias for 68 million euros, the figure seems in the right kind of ball park for someone who is regarded as one of the best CB's in world football. No-one was suggesting Dias was anywhere near that calibre but a deal was done for not much less than the touted fee for this lad.

Maybe he just didn't want to leave as he was being managed by some good managers and he was playing every week, including in the Champions League.

But there was a time he was £90m+ If I remember correctly but anyways, that was then and this is now 

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

Man United allegedly bid £70m in 2019, the year before they rejected a £100m bid from an unnamed club but the chairman said he would sell for £100m if United upped their bid at that time.

Apparently Chelsea wanted him but they wouldn't budge on him after sarri jorginho etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Looks like he's interested then.  He never gives anything away.  The Gabriel hojberg transfers will be on his mind.

Agreed. He isn’t daft and has been here many times. He isn’t going to throw his strategy out there for others to jump in first.

We are covered for the future, but he did say FUTURE, doesn’t mean he isn’t looking for a solid experienced leader back there.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Don't know how you got that from "And so, in that position, we are really covered for the future."

For the same reason that if I asked my wife if she fancied an Indian Takeaway tonight and she said...... "I love Indian Takeaways but we do have cans of beans in the cupboard"...

He's not saying no.... He's essentially giving a non answer to a question he shouldn't answer.