IGNORED

Bassala Sambou

Absolutely spot on! I happen to be friends with a rather well-known Cambridge professor, and we discussed this very point in relation to Richard Dawkins - who's as passionately committed to his 'religion' as any other person on earth.

I hate Richard Dawkins and his arrogance. The pseudo intellects who try a debunk anything to do with religion... the irony is they hate the peddling side of it but none are more passionate about peddling their 'don't believe' message.

Random events and increasing entropy don't create you universes and intelligent life.

The more deeply I got into physics, the more I understood that. The older I get, the more I question the bit about life being intelligent.

Similar to something Sir Francis Bacon said hundreds of years ago - "Dip your toe into philosophy and you find atheism - dive into philosophy and you find God" . Or something like that...

At the time, philosophy and science/physics were virtually one in the same.

Edited by MatthewT

Nobody knows for sure though do they.

Speak for yourself. ;)

You're right, of course. Every belief system relies on faith, atheism as much as any other. Having had the privilege of studying and researching physics for several years, though, I count myself fortunate to have faced head-on some of the implications of our universe (the Anthropic Principle being perhaps the most mind-boggling) - which is why I laugh when I hear people claim that science disproves religion. It's no accident that most of the greatest scientists throughout history have been people with strong religious convictions.

I hope Bassala Sambou realizes what he's done. It's always dangerous to discuss this topic (and politics), and I've probably said too much already.

Speak for yourself. ;)

You're right, of course. Every belief system relies on faith, atheism as much as any other. Having had the privilege of studying and researching physics for several years, though, I count myself fortunate to have faced head-on some of the implications of our universe (the Anthropic Principle being perhaps the most mind-boggling) - which is why I laugh when I hear people claim that science disproves religion. It's no accident that most of the greatest scientists throughout history have been people with strong religious convictions.

I hope Bassala Sambou realizes what he's done. It's always dangerous to discuss this topic (and politics), and I've probably said too much already.

You can say what you like Steve, it's a forum and the reason this forum is THE best Everton forum is because you can do just that. Most others you would be banned or scolded for going off topic. Here, it's brilliant for that because one minute we are talking about a new up and coming player we've just signed, 10 post later people are debating the mysteries of the universe.

Only at Toffee Talk would that be tolerated.

That's how I feel. The debate above is WAY above my head so I'm not commenting.

I may not be religious or believe but I don't think anyone that does believe is stupid or anything like that. The only thing I don't like is if people preach at me about religion. If someone believes then fair play to them but don't try and ram it down my throat.

Thanks, Mark and Steve!

Not to over-psychologize, but I've always found something profoundly Freudian about Dawkins' and other scientific atheists' obsession with disproving religion. Everyone I've known to go down that path seems to be repressed, and their militant atheism and absolute faith in "Science" is a liberating force.

Anyhow, the great irony for me is that their immersion in anti-religion of course puts them in complete engagement with religion, both through the negation of those belief systems recognized as "religion" and through their steadfast belief in "Science," which is, itself, a discursively legitimated bundle of diverse fields that they are reifying as something that can singularly explain it all. Science, the religion.

I may not be religious or believe but I don't think anyone that does believe is stupid or anything like that. The only thing I don't like is if people preach at me about religion. If someone believes then fair play to them but don't try and ram it down my throat.

We had Jehovahs witnesses knocking a while back. First time they knocked I politely asked them not to knock any more, they tried to persist so I had to be blunt. Next day they knocked again, I explained and in their defence they left not without trying their luck once more. 2 days later they knocked again (2 old women) so i answered the door stark naked. They never tried to persuade me that day when I said I wasn't interested.

They never knocked again after that although my wife still isn't fully talking to me.

We had Jehovahs witnesses knocking a while back. First time they knocked I politely asked them not to knock any more, they tried to persist so I had to be blunt. Next day they knocked again, I explained and in their defence they left not without trying their luck once more. 2 days later they knocked again (2 old women) so i answered the door stark naked. They never tried to persuade me that day when I said I wasn't interested.

They never knocked again after that although my wife still isn't fully talking to me.

Best answer to the the Witnesses at the door is, "Hi guys I'm Jehovah, how are we doing?"

Wow this is like doing A-Level Christain Theology again! Was expecting an update on a promising young striker, and got this!

Just to put another spin on the original 'thanking God' point, the cultural aspect can't be ignored. Faith, and identifying yourself as a person of faith, is very important in the African diaspora round the world - much like how Islam is very much a community thing, people tend to believe because it is embedded deeply into their cultural identity.

Interestingly, what JoeQuince says about the rise of 'protestant capitalism', the hard-work ethic leading to association of wealth with 'grace', possibly went hand-in-hand with the collapse of the association of religion with community across Europe. Maybe once the majority gain access to at least the outeard trappings of wealth - high employment, cheap consummables, plenty to eat, decent housing - the need to associate such goid fortune with God disappears. Could go on for days about this so I'll stop there...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...