• Low
    • Pelligrini
    • Hughes
    • O'Neill
    • Emery
    • Moyes
    • Somebody else
    • Simeone

But we don't want the 7th or 8th best keeper in the league do we?

Well he's not even that.

Liverpool haven't got a better keeper, neither have city. I think he's up there. Not on Courtios or De Geas level but definitely up there.

i'd take him over hart. stop gap and buy a youngster that we can have plying their trade in the meantime on loan (like courtois did)

Yeah get pickford in and loan him out for another season maybe, only thing is we need a good keeper right now.

Whoops -- thought you were talking about Hart for some reason.

I honestly wouldn't argue with signing Hart. Not my ideal choice, think Schmeichel then Pickford would be..

I guess I'd rather have the youngster over him and take a season or two on the chin whilst he gains experience.

We should definitely sign players solely based on stats. Actually watching them play is so old.

you bring up a good point as to why "moneyball" hasn't caught on with football. In america it dominates baseball and has begun now in the NFL (my cleveland browns leading the way). there's plenty of sample size with all the matches throughout the campaign. maybe it's just there's not enough quantifiable data for various positions (like a davies type box to box) where you can put into numbers what they do. i'm not pro moneyball, just more interested in the concept.

There's a lot less variables in American American football and baseball. Look at Harry Kane here :P, scored loads for Spurs because they have the best midfield in the league. However, couldn't hit a barn when in the lower leagues against easier opposition. You need to gel with your team mates, or in some cases be carried by them, moneyball can't account for that.

The simple problem is that while in baseball you can quantify players very simply in football there is no simple set of stats. Baseball is more of an individual sport disguised as a team sport (batter vs pitcher) so there's really no teamwork aspects and such. Your teammates have very little effect on your batting or pitching.

Numbers in football can help, for sure. They can both help find potential players and weed out some. There are so many potential players that scouting them all properly is just not feasible. Especially if you want to make bargain finds. For instance, you might want to sign a striker who can hold the ball up. There might be someone who doesn't have a very good goal scoring rate but the numbers relating to the role you think are good. So it might be worth looking at why his goal scoring record isn't that great. There might be a reason that can be rectified and you might find a bargain who fits your criteria perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

Only 14 points better than last year. Far better at home but worse away.

It's definitely not been a bad season but it hasn't been a good one either. After the shambles of last year where we didn't even turn up for around 4 games, 14 points isn't that much of an improvement.

Koeman has a big summer on his hands.

Only 14 points better than last year. Far better at home but worse away.

It's definitely not been a bad season but it hasn't been a good one either. After the shambles of last year where we didn't even turn up for around 4 games, 14 points isn't that much of an improvement.

Koeman has a big summer on his hands.

The target was Europa - we achieved it. With the squad Koeman inherited, I think he's done a very good job. He's only tweaked it up to now - he knows it still needs a massive overhaul and that has been going on with the players he's already got rid of with many to follow.

Martinez was sacked for not picking up enough points. Koeman has only done what was the minimum expectation.

People give him the green card because he got more than possibly our worst season for years.

He did enough, nothing more, nothing less.

Behind the scenes... the CLUB has done more.

Martinez was sacked for not picking up enough points. Koeman has only done what was the minimum expectation.

In a way I suppose he has achieved minimum, but you have to give him credit. It's his first season here, he inherited

aweful depth in a squad and has done well with what he's got.

He attracted Morgan here who no other realistic manager would have, and has made us look like we're capable of winning something.

Under Moyes and martinez it just wasn't right, they weren't proper winners. RK has commanded respect and made the players want to be winners.

The momentum is set in motion, let's get some players in which Koeman wants, rid of the deadwood and kick on.

My problem is that we look like we can pick up points, but don't still look like we are t capable of winning anything.

How many times have we just not turned up still in important games?

What about the derby?

What about Man U?

We just don't look like we can lift ourselves for the big games. Yet again... we look like the best of the rest.

My problem is that we look like we can pick up points, but don't still look like we are t capable of winning anything.

How many times have we just not turned up still in important games?

What about the derby?

What about Man U?

We just don't look like we can lift ourselves for the big games. Yet again... we look like the best of the rest.

Did you expect that to change in a season?

It'll only change once we've filled our squad out with players that have the mentality to make that change. It won't happen over night.