• Low
    • Pelligrini
    • Hughes
    • O'Neill
    • Emery
    • Moyes
    • Somebody else
    • Simeone

Are you saying this season is a success Romey?

It's a relative success, yes.

Listen, I'm not happy with some aspects of this season but I am very happy with other aspects. Koeman has fixed a lot while still having more work to do in the coming seasons. But that's the way it was always going to be in his first season - some things were going to be fixed while others were not. You can't just sort everything in one go, it's not feasible.

It's about patience. Moyes had a decade and still had things he needed to fix, so I'm not going to be concerned or worried that Koeman hasn't managed to do everything in a season. We've made progress but if we've not made an even bigger stride forward by the time his three year contract ends or us up for renewal then I'll be extremely disappointed.

The season isn't a failure, but isn't a huge success. It's an improvement on last season and we've made Goodison a fortress again.

Rome wasn't built in a day. RK has achieved what he wanted and will want to push on next season.

Who thougt he'd actually get in front of United, Arsenal, Liverpool, City, Spurs or Chelsea? It's a bloody tough league.

The table reflects that we're the best of the rest (by far) and we've set ourselves in good stead to battle next season for a top 6 spot. If we come 6th or higher next season I'll be surprised, not shocked, just surprised. The teams ahead of us are too good and apparently were considerably better than the teams below us.

All we can really do is hope for a slip up or two, in order to break into the top 5/6.

4th is a million miles away and will be for the next few seasons.

This season is a success. We've gone from two seasons finishing 11th, and they weren't two blips. We were 11th because that's all that squad was good enough for at the time. Koeman has come in with the objective of getting European football this season. He's done that. That is success for me.

Next season he has to either pick up a trophy or be 5th and within fighting distance of CL come final day.

We can suddenly become brilliant, it doesn't work like that. It never will. Even when City got all of their money, it was a second big investment and it still took a few years to get things moving. We aren't playing the same game. They are rebuilding the club from the ground up and that takes time. It took months to get the back room staff in place, they are still after a few more, and Walsh has his first summer. It's good times ahead but we have to be patient. We've waited 20 years, can't we wait a couple more?

Don't think Koeman has done very well, Moysey got us to the top six in six of his ten seasons here, and didn't have such a good squad.

I'm sure that a good summer transfer window will get us a bit higher but it's still going to be a struggle to break into top six.

Don't think Koeman has done very well, Moysey got us to the top six in six of his ten seasons here, and didn't have such a good squad.

I'm sure that a good summer transfer window will get us a bit higher but it's still going to be a struggle to break into top six.

That was when United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool/City were super powers and the rest of the table was almost a lottery.

I was sceptical about Koeman, I can't argue with what he's done since Christmas, he's got us back in Europe and blooded the best of a youth side that has just won the Prem 2.

There are still things I don't like, his cautious tactics have been exposed away from home and in the cups - there is a reason why he hasn't won much as a manager, he goes too negative too often. And I don't see his man management being up there with the best, I could never imagine a Conte or a Pochettino handling Barkley's contract so publicly the way he has.

Massive summer ahead, as much a test of Walsh as for Koeman. Target next year has to be a long Europa run, top 5 in league and a domestic trophy would be the icing on the cake - a big ask. Recruitment wise, need to prioritise a top drawer keeper, CB, a replacement for Barry and, if Lukaku and Barkley leave, a proper goal scorer and a creative ACM. I think an equally big job will be how many of the U23s can be brought through again. We won't have the finances to make 10 signings, our squad depth should come from youth. What's the point of winning the Prem 2 if we don't build on that winning momentum in the first team?

He's improved us in his first season with inheriting a poorly assembled squad

14 points and four places better off with European football under our belt, he's had a limited time to bring in players in a massively over inflated market whilst analysing what's needed and I think he's recruited well considering what he's spent and had to work with

This window will be huge and he's the type of bloke that knows what he wants and I trust he recent comments on we will have a strong squad next season

I like his attitude his honesty and his mentality, he will push us on again imo

I really don't think you can call it a big success, for me he has got us back where we were. A success would be above that level so therefore he has done a good job, or done the job he is paid for.

This is only his first season though and he has set the foundations. It's just a case of whether we can build on this again next season.

I'd give him a 7/10 for this season.

Took a bit to really get going, to find our flow and adapt to how he wanted us to play, by which time we'd gone out of the cups.

I've found some of his tactics frustrating. I don't like some of the overly negative set ups away from home. I think some of the away results could have been better with a more positive starting 11. And I think we play a few too many long balls. But I think this is as much circumstance of what he has at his disposable forcing his hand.

I like his upfront style and almost arrogant attitude. I like his no bullshit ways. I think we needed that here.

His style of play has meant we are pretty solid at the back and have one of the best defensive records in the league. No coincidence as his Southampton team also had one of the best defences each season he was there. But we also score goals. I can see how he wants us to play and the fact he wants more creative players behind the striker gives me hope that he wants to be more expansive going forward.

7th is a good finish. Not mind blowing. But certainly good enough for a first season with only a few players of his own choice.

People have to remember that the majority of this squad were with us in Martinez first season and the key players were at their peak in that amazing first season. It was just the right blend of experience and youth that really got us up there. Age doesn't stop, and those key core players have got older and past their peak. Plus we are/were riddled with dead wood and mediocre players.

This pre season, we'll get rid of more dead wood and bring in more players of Koemans choice. It's going to be real tough to crack the current top 6, but I think we'll be much better equipped to have a good go at it. Results against them will be the decider.

With what has gone on away from the first team, it has been a real good year for Everton. I've never felt so excited going into a pre season!

The fact is we have finished where we are supposed to be at this time with the squad we have. Bobby clown shoes should have finished in the same place for all 3 seasons he was here. We only finished high in his first season because the players still had some of Moyes way of defending still in there head with most of Moyes squad. The last 2 seasons of his tenure he had got us playing his way just like Wigan the team he left with most of his Wigan squad now playing for us! What did we expect!

Koeman in his first season has changed us in a lot of ways! We can defend again (most of the time). We don't just pass it around the back four and midfield all day for a laugh anymore! Players actually look like they know the game plan and what there role is. - Barkley on the odd occasion. But we have made progress for sure! Its his first season with us! We was in a absolute shit fuck before Koeman took over and I'm surprised he did with the work he knew he had to do with us (And yes I know he's getting paid a small fortune to do so). He will be a Barcelona manager in the next couple of seasons when he has finished with us and hopefully got us back up there before he leaves guaranteed!

Think he's done well. My minimum requirements going forward: Looking for Europa qualification again next year. Consistency will be my measuring stick. Trophy and or champs league in year 3.

Exactly! At the moment we can not compete with the top six with our current squad! This summer is massive for us and I mean massive! It finally looks like we might have the backing to get in that mix of the top six. There isn't no sky top four anymore. If our new owner or bills mate or what ever he is, Is serious about the club then we have the opportunity to close the gap an make it a top seven! Where not far off! Where closer to the top teams in terms of

Players,Wages,Revenue, Academy, Recruitment, Manager! Than we have been since I can remember! Have you seen our under 21's? Our infrastructure is really taking shape. I'm not bills biggest fan but over the last year or two things are finally coming together. As a Everton fan for 35 years I know there's probably a big spanner going in the works as I type this! But I'm feeling good to be an Everton fan at the minute! Somethings happening!

This summer will show our intent if we are going in the right direction. Its not down to the manger we have a great manger! Its down to the support he receives from the board.

I'd give him a 7/10 for this season.

Took a bit to really get going, to find our flow and adapt to how he wanted us to play, by which time we'd gone out of the cups.

I've found some of his tactics frustrating. I don't like some of the overly negative set ups away from home. I think some of the away results could have been better with a more positive starting 11. And I think we play a few too many long balls. But I think this is as much circumstance of what he has at his disposable forcing his hand.

I like his upfront style and almost arrogant attitude. I like his no bullshit ways. I think we needed that here.

His style of play has meant we are pretty solid at the back and have one of the best defensive records in the league. No coincidence as his Southampton team also had one of the best defences each season he was there. But we also score goals. I can see how he wants us to play and the fact he wants more creative players behind the striker gives me hope that he wants to be more expansive going forward.

7th is a good finish. Not mind blowing. But certainly good enough for a first season with only a few players of his own choice.

People have to remember that the majority of this squad were with us in Martinez first season and the key players were at their peak in that amazing first season. It was just the right blend of experience and youth that really got us up there. Age doesn't stop, and those key core players have got older and past their peak. Plus we are/were riddled with dead wood and mediocre players.

This pre season, we'll get rid of more dead wood and bring in more players of Koemans choice. It's going to be real tough to crack the current top 6, but I think we'll be much better equipped to have a good go at it. Results against them will be the decider.

With what has gone on away from the first team, it has been a real good year for Everton. I've never felt so excited going into a pre season!

This! sorry didn't see your post before I went on one! Didn't get to the end of the page before I had to type something!

It's taken most of the season to get deadwood like Gibson, Oviedo and Cleverly off the books.

There are more players at Everton that need to go too. Kone is still here contributing nothing, injury prone players like Besic need to either get fit or move on. Jags is surely at the end of his career now and we are going to have to deal with both fullback positions needing to be freshened up.

It's going to be a very busy summer for Koeman and Walsh. I think it's going to take another season to get the team into the shape Koeman wants it in.

Iagree, this window wont be the magic fix some are expecting. As long as I see us improve after this window then the next I'll be happy.

The whole top 7 had a points improvement from last season, Arsenal, who finished as runners up last season, gained more points this season and finished 5th. Koeman's job was going to be difficult with the squad he came into but it became harder when the teams around us improved massively too.

14 points is a hell of a difference, our away form was shite but I expect Koeman to address this.

EDIT: here is the point difference for said clubs:

16/2017 pts change compared to 2015/2016

Chelsea +43pts

Tottenham +16

Man City +12

Liverpool +16

Arsenal +4

Man Utd +3

Everton +14

Edited by aaron

Surely that judgement would be more aimed at Walsh than Koeman?

Both. But from a management perspective I've not been overly impressed by him.

Some of his comments and decisions have been odd.

Certainly not a get rid shout but there is room for improvement.

Think he's done well. My minimum requirements going forward: Looking for Europa qualification again next year. Consistency will be my measuring stick. Trophy and or champs league in year 3.

I agree with this.

I saw a lot of positives from early on though it took a while to fully come together I could see where he wanted to take things and how he wanted to stamp his mark on things.

While his straight talking management doesn't work for all players I do think it is a good way to go for some. He's had no qualms about berrating Barkley publicly because everyone can see that Barkley doesn't deliver on his hype and this keeps Barkley in check somewhat and spurs him on to perform better.

It will be an interesting transfer window and my biggest hope really is that Lukaku either stays and whether publicly or privately commits to staying for the season or he leaves early in the window.

The frustrating thing with these big transfers is they normally end up running a long time, if we could complete a transfer of Lukaku in July then that would give us lots of spending money to improve the squad. Spurs showed what could be done with a big injection of cash when they let Bale go and with a solid manager and Walsh (whatever his job is called) in place I think that we would spend wisely to improve the whole squad given that extra money. I'd take 65m plus to let him go.

Looking forward to next season, we have some decent foundations in place and Koeman I believe has a full idea of who needs to go and which areas need improving. I've no doubt that with Walsh on the case we should have a good idea of a number of players that we will be making enquries about.

The Europa league will be a challenge as it is for any team that ends up in it but with plenty of options in the squad and lots of quality young players fighting for game time I believe that with the required new faces on board we will be able to cope with it pretty well.

Bring on August!

7th place isn't good enough but breaking into that top 6 isn't a forgone conclusion for any manager. The teams above us all have quality squads, managers and have plenty of money behind them.

The best we can do to any of those things is match it in those terms.

We obviously want to establish ourselves like Spurs have but with the level that the teams above us are at or can get to at least (in terms of man utd for example who didn't really achieve last season) we do have to accept that we could end up finishing 7th again, all be it with more points, improved performances and more competetive against the top 6. Would that be disapointing, yes it would but it wouldn't necessarily make Koeman a failure.

He's got us into a position we were expected to be in. He's achieved the minimum without doing anything spectacular IMO. Spent some good money a long the way.

Next year will be the measure of him because another 7th place finish won't be good enough.

Kind of agree but if we were to finish 7th next year having given the top six a fight all the way (especially in head-to-head games) and we're only marginally behind them it could be enough. It's a real hardened glass ceiling we're trying to break through and if we make large scale changes in the summer we can't really expect to hit the ground running at full pace, team will take time to bed in.