• Hughes
    • O'Neill
    • Emery
    • Moyes
    • Somebody else
    • Simeone

Who's writing him off?

You can read Mike, go see.

It's not supposed to be aimed at any particular person, so I've no interest in naming, but I can safely say that people will be put off by this season's away record and overlook his overall impressive record. It's just an observation.

If he is an option, he's the highest calibre realistic choice.

No thanks

No thanks what? A new manager coming in teplacing the dead wood and Lukaku, stabalising us getting 7th and a platform to build on for the season after is no goid?

If you're expecting anything better than that you'll probably end up disappointed mate.

No thanks what? A new manager coming in teplacing the dead wood and Lukaku, stabalising us getting 7th and a platform to build on for the season after is no goid?

If you're expecting anything better than that you'll probably end up disappointed mate.

7th would be shite mate. I might be dissapointed but not accepting that shit

Yep. We have to be realistic with whoever comes in.

I don't expect Leicester to drop off that dramatically. Chelsea will be back up there. I'd expect Liverpool to carry on under Klopp. So you've got City, Arsenal, United, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea...there's 6 teams with much more spending power than us...our proposed £100 mill is nothing to them.

It's gonna be tough.

You can read Mike, go see.

It's not supposed to be aimed at any particular person, so I've no interest in naming, but I can safely say that people will be put off by this season's away record and overlook his overall impressive record. It's just an observation.

If he is an option, he's the highest calibre realistic choice.

Can't see anyone writing him off in the last few pages; there's one or two who think he's not the best choice but that's not the same thing.

Pellegrini favourite with some bookies now incidentally, Emery with others. de Boer drifting...

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/everton/next-permanent-manager

7th would be shite mate. I might be dissapointed but not accepting that shit

It really wouldn't you know mate it would be 4places above where we finished last 2 season we'll have a brand new manager. Remember Martineztook over a good side this manager needs to replace Howard, Hibbert, Pienaar, Osman, Mcgeady, Kone, Niasse, Gibson and probably Lukaku and Stones. We're in deep shit MC Martinez has left a right mess behind. All new players will need bedding in.

If someone offering me 7th now and a top manager and most of them players replaced with good players plus 2 top players and a guaranteed new stadium I'd bite their hand off.

Expecting us to finish above any of City, Utd, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea or Shite is ridiculous they're light years ahead, and we'll struggle to better Soton and West Ham that doesn't even mention Liecester.

Anyone thinking we'll finish top 5 next year is in for a massive shok pal.

Edited by Paddock

Yep. We have to be realistic with whoever comes in.

I don't expect Leicester to drop off that dramatically. Chelsea will be back up there. I'd expect Liverpool to carry on under Klopp. So you've got City, Arsenal, United, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea...there's 6 teams with much more spending power than us...our proposed £100 mill is nothing to them.

It's gonna be tough.

Does our 100 million include Lukaku's sale? If him and Stones go we could have a nice little pot there about 200 million so we could do with a manager whose able to attract decent players.

Can't see anyone writing him off in the last few pages; there's one or two who think he's not the best choice but that's not the same thing.

Pellegrini favourite with some bookies now incidentally, Emery with others. de Boer drifting...

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/everton/next-permanent-manager

Oh Mike, come on. Just....Pah. So pedantic. You know exactly what I mean. There's nothing I can 'type' to you when you start with this crap.

It really wouldn't you know mate it would be 4places above where we finished last 2 season we'll have a brand new manager. Remember Martineztook over a good side this manager needs to replace Howard, Hibbert, Pienaar, Osman, Mcgeady, Kone, Niasse, Gibson and probably Lukaku and Stones. We're in deep shit MC Martinez has left a right mess behind. All new players will need bedding in.

If someone offering me 7th now and a top manager and most of them players replaced with good players plus 2 top players and a guaranteed new stadium I'd bite their hand off.

Expecting us to finish above any of City, Utd, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea or Shite is ridiculous they're light years ahead, and we'll struggle to better Soton and West Ham that doesn't even mention Liecester.

Anyone thinking we'll finish top 5 next year is in for a massive shok pal.

It's really not we've got a crop of talented players. We're going to add more in the summer no reason to think otherwise. 7th is shite mate not into that at all

Does our 100 million include Lukaku's sale? If him and Stones go we could have a nice little pot there about 200 million so we could do with a manager whose able to attract decent players.

No. It's just a number that's been quoted since Moshiri took half the club.

Although, on the flip side, it's not all about spending money. So.....

It's really not we've got a crop of talented players. We're going to add more in the summer no reason to think otherwise. 7th is shite mate not into that at all

it doesn't matter what you're into mate it's what will happen. All the other clubs will add to their squads to and I guarantee we will need the most players. Too many players at once never works straight away it takes time to bed them in, none of those listed will lise their 2 best players like we probably will either. Honest mate, trust me on this, with the upheavels ahead for us 7th would be a good season.

Oh Mike, come on. Just....Pah. So pedantic. You know exactly what I mean. There's nothing I can 'type' to you when you start with this crap.

How in the hell is it pedantic? If someone says, "I'd rather de Boer than Emery" that's not writing off Emery.

Nobody has said "Emery would be a disaster", that would be writing him off, but I can't find anyone who's said that.

I'm not being pedantic, I'm just not putting words into people's mouths (or typing fingers). You are, though you offer no evidence.

Looking at Makis' well-thought-out post...

How much does command of the English language matter?

I mean, yeah, here in the US, it would be a non-starter. Sure, there are some Major League baseball players from Cuba or the Dominican Republic, etc... who don't speak much English. But a manager? That wouldn't work because nobody bothers to learn anything beyond English.

But with so many international players in the BPL, do they all have a pretty good grasp of multiple languages that it's not an issue?

I'd still think that because of the vast audience that the BPL has, including a large and growing American audience, a PL manager would need to be able to have a fairly good grasp of the English language.

I mean, yeah, here in the US, it would be a non-starter. Sure, there are some Major League baseball players from Cuba or the Dominican Republic, etc... who don't speak much English. But a manager? That wouldn't work because nobody bothers to learn anything beyond English.

But with so many international players in the BPL, do they all have a pretty good grasp of multiple languages that it's not an issue?

I'd still think that because of the vast audience that the BPL has, including a large and growing American audience, a PL manager would need to be able to have a fairly good grasp of the English language.

Pochettino was very poor in that respect when he took over at Southampton, and he's done OK. Much better English now obviously.

it doesn't matter what you're into mate it's what will happen. All the other clubs will add to their squads to and I guarantee we will need the most players. Too many players at once never works straight away it takes time to bed them in, none of those listed will lise their 2 best players like we probably will either. Honest mate, trust me on this, with the upheavels ahead for us 7th would be a good season.

7th would be a mediocre season at best. All opinions but I want better than 7th

How in the hell is it pedantic? If someone says, "I'd rather de Boer than Emery" that's not writing off Emery.

Nobody has said "Emery would be a disaster", that would be writing him off, but I can't find anyone who's said that.

I'm not being pedantic, I'm just not putting words into people's mouths (or typing fingers). You are, though you offer no evidence.

Evidence for what Mike? My own opinion that I've already said wasn't aimed at anyone? Fuck sake, what is it with you fuckers at the moment? Comments getting picked apart.

All I'm trying to say is, in my own way, don't write him off as a candidate for the job just because this current season he has a poor away record. Not every comment is made based solely on what people say on here.

Sorry, but it's a pet hate of mine when you spend time writing a full post and some smart arse picks one paragraph and focuses solely on that one part rather than the context of the whole post.

No idea how I'm putting words into people's mouths.

Evidence. Behave.

Stopped reading here.

7th would be a mediocre season at best. All opinions but I want better than 7th

We had a great one with Martinez then fell off a cliff, as you say all opinions but in mine IF we lose Stones and Lukaku plus all the dead wood we're in a much worse position than when Moyes left. Therefore a quiet start solid but safe no massive expectationslike last time and slip under the radar quietly going about our business is the best we can hope for imo.

Evidence for what Mike? My own opinion that I've already said wasn't aimed at anyone? Fuck sake, what is it with you fuckers at the moment? Comments getting picked apart.

All I'm trying to say is, in my own way, don't write him off as a candidate for the job just because this current season he has a poor away record. Not every comment is made based solely on what people say on here.

Sorry, but it's a pet hate of mine when you spend time writing a full post and some smart arse picks one paragraph and focuses solely on that one part rather than the context of the whole post.

No idea how I'm putting words into people's mouths.

Evidence. Behave.

Going nowhere this.

But when I get told I'm "missing the point" and being "pedantic" when I'm plainly not (though I am at times, recognise it and signal it, self aware enough to know it) I get cross.

I have the opposite opinion of your pet hate; if someone has a long argument but you disagree specifically with a section of it why is it wrong to highlight it? That's what people do in normal debate, why should it be different online?

Pedantry. Behave.

(Going back) But we're talking about him as a potential Everton manager where the away support is massive, so it's completely relevant.

And as I said, this season was a blip. Last season Sevilla won 10, drew 2 and lost 7 and ended up with a positive GD (+1). Season before that Sevilla's away record was 7-5-7 and a GD of -2. At Valencia in 2010-11 the record was a very respectable 11-3-5 and +7. Can't find the record for his two previous seasons with the club, but I would say his record away is good. And it's irrelevant, because he knew away matches in La Liga were of lesser importance and he could focus on the cups. I would also expect Everton to have a better squad overall come August. Sevilla is not financially well so their squad lacks depth.

As for seventh being mediocre: Manchester City with Guardiola, Manchester United with Mourinho, Chelsea with Conte, Arsenal with Wenger, Liverpool with Klopp, Spurs with Pochettino. That's already six. To finish higher than seventh, we'd have to be better than everyone else in the league (Leicester, West Ham, Southampton...) plus at least one of those. This on the back of a summer that will see big changes in the squad. So the new man has practically no time, the team has to get off to a flying start. Considering the plane crash of this season and the changes afoot that would be an amazing job. Look at Klopp: who thinks he's a shite manager? Yet they only managed 8th and zero trophies.

It's just a one negative, not necessarily a big one. I'm just unsure who it would effect his man-management if he happened to need a translator every time he talked to someone.

And as I said, this season was a blip. Last season Sevilla won 10, drew 2 and lost 7 and ended up with a positive GD (+1). Season before that Sevilla's away record was 7-5-7 and a GD of -2. At Valencia in 2010-11 the record was a very respectable 11-3-5 and +7. Can't find the record for his two previous seasons with the club, but I would say his record away is good. And it's irrelevant, because he knew away matches in La Liga were of lesser importance and he could focus on the cups. I would also expect Everton to have a better squad overall come August. Sevilla is not financially well so their squad lacks depth.

As for seventh being mediocre: Manchester City with Guardiola, Manchester United with Mourinho, Chelsea with Conte, Arsenal with Wenger, Liverpool with Klopp, Spurs with Pochettino. That's already six. To finish higher than seventh, we'd have to be better than everyone else in the league (Leicester, West Ham, Southampton...) plus at least one of those. This on the back of a summer that will see big changes in the squad. So the new man has practically no time, the team has to get off to a flying start. Considering the plane crash of this season and the changes afoot that would be an amazing job. Look at Klopp: who thinks he's a shite manager? Yet they only managed 8th and zero trophies.

Why shouldn't we be competing with those teams. We were up there before Mongo took over. End of the day there's very good players in our side, if we add two or three first teamers there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to compete for a top 6 spot.