• Low
    • Pelligrini
    • Hughes
    • O'Neill
    • Emery
    • Moyes
    • Somebody else
    • Simeone

He'd get away with finishing 7th and 3 Europa Cups in a row though!!!

exactly. got Champions league with those cup wins (2 out of 3 of them i believe) as well regardless of where in the table they ended up.

He certainly gets the best out of players... no real household names in that Sevilla team and won the Europa 3 years on the bounce now.

That Carrico was back-up at Reading before he went to Sevilla.

Steven N'Zonzi played the whole match from Stoke city, remember him?

Emery hasn't won an away game in the league all season apparently.

Reminded me of a season when we couldn't buy an away win, just checked and it was 71/72. We were 8-9-4 at home and 1-9-11 away; the away game we won was 1-0 at Southampton (same season we beat them 8-0 at Goodison).

Well, mine would be:

1. Emery:

Probably the most promising young manager at the moment.

+ Young.

+ Tactically masterful

+ Good man-manager.

+ Wins trophies. First manager ever to win three back-to-back ELs.

+ Bielsa-like obsession about football.

- His English is not very good.

- His away record this season was poor. This is offset by the fact last season it wasn't too bad (10 wins, 2 draws, seven losses and a positive GD).

- His only job outside Spain didn't go well.

2. Pellegrini:

+ PL experience.

+ Would attract top players.

+ Has done an excellent job at two clubs in somewhat similar situations.

+ Players respect him.

+ Was able to keep Villareal going for a long time, so seems to be able to keep the team and approach fresh over time.

+ Very experienced.

+ Can work with and without a DoF unlike other candidates.

- Motivation? If his main motivation for the job is that he doesn't need to move houses == pass.

- Couldn't motivate his team after Guardiola was announced.

- How much hand did he have with this season's City team building? Bequiristan is the DoF, but was Pellegrini totally powerless? E.g. he had no chance to fix the defence that was overly reliant on Kompany and the signings who were poor?

3. Favre:

+ Tactically sound. His teams play a good, yet solid style.

+ Has done a good job at pretty much every club.

+ Good at developing youth.

+ Bundesliga is full

- Issues with his man-management. I've heard he doesn't really talk to his players and if you end up on the wrong side of him, you don't get a second chance.

- Questionmarks over his stress handling after he quit his last job suddenly.

- AFAIK, doesn't speak English.

- Eventually teams seem to go stale.

4. Koeman:

+ Experience in the PL.

+ Has done a good job rebuilding Soton after their stars were sold.

+ Decent style...

- But nothing to get excited about.

- A disaster at his previous job.

- Would he jump ship next summer if Arsenal came calling?

5. De Boer:

+ Well-known name.

+ Youth development.

+ Got Ajax back on track after several poor seasons.

- Has lost a two-horse race twice in a row now.

- Tactically inflexible.

- Only been to one club so far, and in his native country. Comfort-zone?

- Not a good record in Europe.

Those are the strongest candidates linked with the club. I would also like to see Rudi Garcia and Eduardo Berizzo considered. Watford's new man, Mazzarri could also been a good candidate.

Well, mine would be:

1. Emery:

Probably the most promising young manager at the moment.

+ Young.

+ Tactically masterful

+ Good man-manager.

+ Wins trophies. First manager ever to win three back-to-back ELs.

+ Bielsa-like obsession about football.

- His English is not very good.

- His away record this season was poor. This is offset by the fact last season it wasn't too bad (10 wins, 2 draws, seven losses and a positive GD).

- His only job outside Spain didn't go well.

2. Pellegrini:

+ PL experience.

+ Would attract top players.

+ Has done an excellent job at two clubs in somewhat similar situations.

+ Players respect him.

+ Was able to keep Villareal going for a long time, so seems to be able to keep the team and approach fresh over time.

+ Very experienced.

+ Can work with and without a DoF unlike other candidates.

- Motivation? If his main motivation for the job is that he doesn't need to move houses == pass.

- Couldn't motivate his team after Guardiola was announced.

- How much hand did he have with this season's City team building? Bequiristan is the DoF, but was Pellegrini totally powerless? E.g. he had no chance to fix the defence that was overly reliant on Kompany and the signings who were poor?

3. Favre:

+ Tactically sound. His teams play a good, yet solid style.

+ Has done a good job at pretty much every club.

+ Good at developing youth.

+ Bundesliga is full

- Issues with his man-management. I've heard he doesn't really talk to his players and if you end up on the wrong side of him, you don't get a second chance.

- Questionmarks over his stress handling after he quit his last job suddenly.

- AFAIK, doesn't speak English.

- Eventually teams seem to go stale.

4. Koeman:

+ Experience in the PL.

+ Has done a good job rebuilding Soton after their stars were sold.

+ Decent style...

- But nothing to get excited about.

- A disaster at his previous job.

- Would he jump ship next summer if Arsenal came calling?

5. De Boer:

+ Well-known name.

+ Youth development.

+ Got Ajax back on track after several poor seasons.

- Has lost a two-horse race twice in a row now.

- Tactically inflexible.

- Only been to one club so far, and in his native country. Comfort-zone?

- Not a good record in Europe.

Those are the strongest candidates linked with the club. I would also like to see Rudi Garcia and Eduardo Berizzo considered. Watford's new man, Mazzarri could also been a good candidate.

Saving me type work. Top man, Makis. Highlighted most areas that would be of interest to people, especially if they've had no knowledge of some of the above candidates or their work.

For your sake and the benefit of the forum and members, definitely should go in the managers threads. All forum traffic not accustomed to these guy would like see it and not get forgotten about in the Lukaku thread.

As I say, nice one.

Edited by Lowensda

Also regarding the regarding the no win away record (which as has been pointed out, was an anomaly).

I don't mind so much that Sevilla didn't win away from home all season, if most are draws. As long as we're winning at home and you're drawing away in most matches, you stand a bloody good chance of winning a league, let alone doing well.

Martinez did get a team relegated, yet that was good enough for Everton.

I like a lot of the names bandied about. I think if they can get either one of Pellegrini or Emery, they should do it. I think Favre would be very good. Personally, I wouldn't hire De Boer though as I think the fans will dislike his style of play and that things could get ugly quickly in Goodison Park if he doesn't get wins straight away. Though if he does get hired, he can bring Milik and especially Bazoer with him.

For me I would work this the other way. I'm not so interested with who is on the market and available, but work out what we want from a manager, develop a hit list of who fits the criteria and start from the top of the list and work our way down.

For me the key things are in priority order.

1) Tactical Mastermind in the context of the English Prem

I think this is where we get carried away with thinking that foreign managers are always tactically great. I don't believe there is another league in the world that is as tactically diverse as the EPL from teams that concentrate on holding 10 men behind the ball simply to try and nick a goal all the way to free flowing tika-taka and everything in between. We need someone with a key philosophy (just not the same slow build-up one as Martinez) that is astute enough to adapt it when necessary.

2) Man Management

Very difficult to keep egos in check (Lukaku proving to be a great example of this and even if you have a fantastic record like LVG, it's obvious he likes to impose himself on players rather than get them to "buy-in" to what he is doing. Given we are not in the top 5 clubs revenue wise in the morning. Whoever comes in will need to keep any of the top players we have by buyng in to his system and style. A dictatorial nut job isn't going to work for me.

3) Youth Development

I think we have one of the top records for bringing through young players in the EPL and we still need to get better. A proven track record is key for me with this. For note I don't thin you can say that any manager of Ajax is automatically great at this as the culture of bringing through young talent at Ajax has been culturally installed for such a long time, that any manager inherits it.

So which Manager nails these three for me in the list. The answer is none of them completely although probably Ronald Koeman the nearest, but I don;t think he will leave Southampton for us at this time.

I think the search needs to go broader than currently listed, but that's just my opinion.

I agree, the more i read about De Boer the more he reminds me of Martinez.

That's what I worry about with him. He has a focus on conservative possession in order to control the game similar to Martinez and the fans hated him for it, though the fact that that style didn't result in good defensive performances and his grating positivity were factors as well of course. Now obviously that style can result in good defense, just look at van Gaal's United (I'm not going to use De Boer as an example here, because any Ajax coach is going to have a good defensive record in Holland), but I think that even then the fans might still hate the way the offense looks after Martinez. De Boer's also more of a straight talker than Martinez by the way and because of genetics he often looks like he's in a bad mood, which might be a welcome change as well...

Also regarding the regarding the no win away record (which as has been pointed out, was an anomaly).

I don't mind so much that Sevilla didn't win away from home all season, if most are draws. As long as we're winning at home and you're drawing away in most matches, you stand a bloody good chance of winning a league, let alone doing well.

Martinez did get a team relegated, yet that was good enough for Everton.

More losses than draws, record was 0-9-10.

Guest rusty747

Well, allegedly we have already spoken to Pellegrini. He wants to stay in the Premier League and in the North West. That's all well and good but I don't want him coming to Everton just so he doesn't need to move house.

If he is genuinely excited at the possibility of managing our great club then I would be very happy to see him here.

On a more worrying note, Moyes has just ruled himself out of the running for the Villa gig!