IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

27 minutes ago, MC11 said:

He’s nowhere near as good as he thinks. That’s his problem

I don’t think he’s a very good footballer at all.  I never have.   I have said what makes him different is that he is a tremendous athlete and if he worked on being mechanical he would be a top player.

if he stayed humble and continued to work the way he did when he was lukakus replacement he would be fine. But he didn’t, he got a flurry of goals that Stuart Barlow would struggle to miss under a set up where ancelotti basically made him a goal hanger… then he started giving it the “name pointing at his shirt”… became a big I am.  Turned up on Monday night footy to give punditry on his own club?!

Not arsed about him, he’s not arsed about us. 

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I don’t think he’s a very good footballer at all.  I never have.   I have said what makes him different is that he is a tremendous athlete and if he worked on being mechanical he would be a top player.

if he stayed humble and continued to work the way he did when he was lukakus replacement he would be fine. But he didn’t, he got a flurry of goals that Stuart Barlow would struggle to miss under a set up where ancelotti basically made him a goal hanger… then he started giving it the “name pointing at his shirt”… became a big I am.  Turned up on Monday night footy to give punditry on his own club?!

Not arsed about him, he’s not arsed about us. 

Exactly, 100%.

18 hours ago, Hafnia said:

He got very animated and jumped out of his seat when Coleman and Azpiliqueta were pushing - Tom Davies said “there’s handbags going on over there”

Hate viewing this thread. So much argument.  When DCL is at his best, we are a better side with him in it, no doubt.  Something is obviously going on but none of us know what.  If he can't resolve it, then it is time to move on as no one is bigger than the team. His cameos this calendar year have been very very poor. Also, who cares what he wears.  Power to individuality and all that.

BUT

Hafnia that joke was on fire.  Haven't laughed out loud in the office in long while.  hahaha.  So in conclusion, maybe I do not hate this thread and should read often.  hahahaha

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I’m more concerned that Arsenal lose interest in buying him than I am that we might lose him. 

Me too, Newcastle deffo may get interested.   But I want him gone no question.  

I was keen on mitrovic a few years back and he looks like the type of player we could do with. Tammy Abrahams is out our bracket now I think. 

On 02/05/2022 at 18:29, Romey 1878 said:

I can't agree with that at all. A fit DCL would be, but a DCL that is still working his way back to fitness and keeps picking up injuries after coming back from that long lay off was anything but the ideal striker to bring on to see out a game like that.

This is my whole point - I think it’s been missed. He “should” be the perfect striker for that role. If he had him busting his ass, fighting for every ball and running in behind it would be perfect for the last 20 of that game.

2 hours ago, RPG said:

Yes, but the original photo was what generated the original comments. This just keeps it in the mind of every CB he will face (which might be none if Frank keeps him on the bench) until at least the end of the season.

To be honest I think most footballers are more educated than that these days. 
They wouldn’t let anything that petty influence their judgement.

On 02/05/2022 at 08:40, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Jesus Christ , we have just had a monumental victory at a raucous Goodison Park due to a real blood and guts performance where everyone was 110% behind the team  and the players responded perfectly by leaving everything on the pitch.

Yet come in here and people are still trying no to find negatives

Come on mate, it's not like anyone is trying to find negatives about the Chelsea game, they're just giving their views etc. about the situation with Dominic Calvert-Lewin. 

5 hours ago, RPG said:

Yes, but the original photo was what generated the original comments. This just keeps it in the mind of every CB he will face (which might be none if Frank keeps him on the bench) until at least the end of the season.

I'm not really sure a joke picture made by an Evertonian will find it's way to many, if any, CB's in the league :lol:.

And even if it did, I feel sure he'd care about it as much as he cares about what fans like yourself think of him doing that article (and pictures) for the magazine.

13 hours ago, RPG said:

I really hope that is the case as that would demonstrate the kind of attitude from DCL that we need to see and which has been sadly lacking in the few recent appearances that he has made.

I have a good friend who knows, by his own admission, 'bugger all' about football but he is a bit of a whizz kid in interpretating body language. I showed him a couple of recent clips of DCL on the pitch and his view is that he is 'disinterested.'

God, you two must have riveting conversations!
Are you sure you didn’t show your mate the clips and you misunderstood when he said he was disinterested? 😂

13 hours ago, RPG said:

I think that, sadly, anything appears to be fair game (and accepted as so) on the pitch nowadays - diving to cheat a penalty, feigning a facial injury so as to stop the game, feigning injuries in general, time wasting taken to ridiculous levels -  I am certain that if CBs felt they could wind DCL up on the pitch with a few choice words of banter that might involve handbags and skirts that they wouldn't hesitate to do so.

Again, you know he isn’t wearing a skirt on that photo don’t you? The handbags I’ll still let go, but the skirt thing is ridiculous now. 

21 hours ago, RPG said:

But 'reality' for the reader is their perceptions and DCL has opened up an entire can of worms in that regard with his behaviour. That some of his reported behaviour might be exaggerated on social media, photo shopped or even plain untrue, doesn't alter the fact that DCL has given people the subject matter to work with. At best he has been very poorly advised. At worst, he is putting his own personal interests ahead of the reputation of the club.

So you do know it’s not a skirt or you don’t know it’s not a skirt? Not sure what that has to do with the reputation of the club though. 

7 hours ago, RPG said:

It is because perception is reality in the eye of the reader. That is how PR and advertising works and that is what DCL is into now. You are muddying a simple issue to fit with your desired outcome I think Steve. Though your loyalty to DCL is commendable.

DCL has behaved inappropriately in terms of upholding the reputation of the club. That some of the reporting is exaggerated is neither here nor there.

A simple 'on field' analogy: Striker rushes past a defender into the penalty area and gets the faintest of touches (the handbag) from the defender. He goes down like he has been shot by a sniper (the skirt) and the ref gives a penalty (social media fallout). In the 70s/80s this situation would never (or very rarely) have arisen as players behaved more like men. We all agree that it was a soft penalty to give away. Some of the defender's supporters scream that it was a fair tackle (what he does in his own time is his own business) or a dive (the skirt has been photo shopped) but it doesn't matter. The penalty is awarded anyway, VAR sees no clear and obvious error (penalty correctly given for the handbag), and the ball is now in the back of the net (DCL's reputation smeared and, by extension, Everton's). Times have changed from the 70s/80s, and we all have to agree that the defender (DCL) was silly to give the striker the opportunity to 'go down.'

That is exactly what is happening now with DCL with his off field behaviour. He has been very silly and given social media the opportunity to score from a soft penalty. No amount of background noise or post match appeals by the manager or players or his supporters can change the decision. And the ball is firmly in the back of DCL's net.

So you do know it’s a not skirt then? It’s not a difficult question really. If you do know it’s a not but still talk about him wearing a skirt then it’s just a bit silly. If you don’t know it’s a pair of shorts then maybe knowing it might change your perception. 
Not arsed about all the other 200 lines of replies, it was just a basic question of if you know he didn’t wear a skirt or not. 

36 minutes ago, StevO said:

So you do know it’s a not skirt then? It’s not a difficult question really. If you do know it’s a not but still talk about him wearing a skirt then it’s just a bit silly. If you don’t know it’s a pair of shorts then maybe knowing it might change your perception. 
Not arsed about all the other 200 lines of replies, it was just a basic question of if you know he didn’t wear a skirt or not. 

Have a day off

if they are shorts then they are the most skirt looking shorts I have ever seen.   

I’m not arsed if they are or not. He looks like a complete attention seeking nob head. 

I can’t wait for this season to be over and for half the squad to be cut.  A supposed top striker, misses half the season and plays shit and disinterested but gives it full interest when it involves dressing up and getting on magazine covers. 

Back to football.  Dcl and his effort/not playing has all the similar hallmarks to the shit that Michael Owen pulled at Newcastle.

They were heading for relegation (actually did get relegated) and they couldn’t get him in the pitch. Shearer was fuming, their physio couldn’t find issues - 2 games left and his scan was clear.  Told the physio “I’m not playing cos my groin feels like it’s going to go and If it does I won’t get a contract elsewhere ”…

he had to avoid commentating on a game at St James park for Amazon cos their fans absolutely despise him. 

nicky butt spoke of the shit houses who put the club in relegation and left it. Be funny if dcl actually goes to Newcastle. 

This DCL bashing is so pointless and wrong. He's been injured 90% of the season so what are people expecting from an injured player 🤔 

Just because some people are (unhealthily imho) fixated on a clearly photoshoped image of him wearing a skirt doesn't mean anyone else has the slightest interest in that or his fashion choices.

Let's just hope he comes back and helps us avoid relegation, after that what will be will be.

10 minutes ago, RPG said:

Steve, you've never been shy to offer your opinion when you thought you had a point before. Cat got it?

As already stated, whether it is/was a skirt, shorts or 'skorts' (as I am told they are now being called), that is not the issue. The issue is that DCL has done neither his reputation nor that of one of his employers any good whatsoever with his off field behaviour.

DCL has had more than enough time to come out and set the record straight but, apart from one statement via his agent, his silence has been deafening. I guess he is sitting back and basking in his 'right' to divide opinion (and forgetting about his responsibilities)while his club fights relegation.

The sooner he goes and the sooner we get a replacement who will fight for the shirt, the better.

Absolutely spot on.  The virtue signalling defence of him is getting on my nerves. 

I’m not arsed if we had players who are gay, trans, non binary. I would support them as human beings. 

now with that being said, can we actually get to the issue that we have a player who has been very very strongly rumoured based on many people people stridently telling that he has had contractors in his house readying it for a sale as he is going in the summer.  

now of course these are rumours, but they have been gathering momentum and not once have they been denied despite being out there. Yet the only off pitch visibility we get from him are ridiculous attention seeking pictures and articles.  If he was giving it the topless horse riding putin picture of alpha male masculinity I would fine it equally ridiculous.

been nowhere to be seen one way of another in his full time paid job. 

8 minutes ago, London Blue said:

This DCL bashing is so pointless and wrong. He's been injured 90% of the season so what are people expecting from an injured player 🤔 

Just because some people are (unhealthily imho) fixated on a clearly photoshoped image of him wearing a skirt doesn't mean anyone else has the slightest interest in that or his fashion choices.

Let's just hope he comes back and helps us avoid relegation, after that what will be will be.

He’s been back over 2 fuckin months now. He’s had 2 weeks of individual conditioning work thrown in since getting back to fitness and strolled round the pitch looking half arsed.

was his lack of fitness the reason he allowed tarkowski to get goal side of him on the half way line? Or just the fact that he couldn’t give a toss. Likewise at goodison, lumbered around the pitch not giving a shit vs man United. Wasn’t even arsed celebrating. 

we have had more output from a veteran who has spent the last few years playing in the Chinese league and who 2 months ago looked like he was still eating Chinese food every night. 

throw dcl into the same “can’t be arsed” taxi out of finch farm with Andre Gomes. Another one who has absolutely no guts to play for us.

40 minutes ago, RPG said:

Steve, you've never been shy to offer your opinion when you thought you had a point before. Cat got it?

As already stated, whether it is/was a skirt, shorts or 'skorts' (as I am told they are now being called), is not the issue. The issue is that DCL has done neither his reputation nor that of one of his employers any good whatsoever with his off field behaviour - for the reasons described in the analogy I gave and that you were unwilling or unable to offer a riposte to.

DCL has had more than enough time to come out and set the record straight but, apart from one statement via his agent, his silence has been deafening. I guess he is continuing to sit back and bask in his 'right' to divide opinion (forgetting about his responsibilities) while his club fights a desperate relegation battle.

The sooner he goes and the sooner we get a replacement who will fight for the shirt, the better.

I’ve made my opinion very very clear, maybe you’ve missed it. 
I don’t care what any player wears. 
I don’t care what they do in their spare time as long as it’s within the confines of the law. 
I don’t care if any of our players wear skirts, bras, knickers, or anything else for that matter and I’ve seen no evidence to suggest any player has. 
I don’t care if they have endorsements and sponsorship deals. 
I don’t care if they do adverts. 
I don’t care if they do punditry.

I don’t care if they make statements and I don’t believe any players needs to make a statement right now about anything. 
I don’t care if a player divides opinion. 
I’ve seen no bad off field behaviour from any player in my opinion. 
I’ve seen no player do anything to harm the reputation of the football club and if they did I would be upset by it. 

I care about what they do for 90 minutes on match day. 
If a player doesn’t play well I’m not happy about it. 
If a player doesn’t play well I don’t make assumptions that their hobbies have caused the poor performance. 
If a player doesn’t play well I don’t make assumptions that the clothes they wear have caused the poor performance. 
If a player doesn’t look like they are giving 100% I’m not happy about it. 
If a player doesn’t look like they are giving 100% I don’t make assumptions that their hobbies, clothes, photoshoots or anything else has caused it. 
If a player doesn’t play well or look like they are giving 100% I trust the manager to handle it in the way he sees fit. 

This can all be applied to DCL, Tom Davies, Dele Alli, and any other player in the team. 

I never had an issue with Leighton Baines spending his spare time travelling the country to go and watch bands, or learning to play guitar, or getting into photography. 

I have never had an issue with Jordan Pickford going to the pub with his mates and his family. 

I don’t have an issue when I found out that Tim Howard used to fly to the states to see his kids after almost every game and miss training for a few days. 

I didn’t have an issue when James Rodriguez was on a jet heading to Colombia. 

I hope that’s enough of my opinions, but I just don’t care enough about what the players do away from the pitch and I trust the manager to handle it how he thinks is best. I’m not going to get upset about what the players do or how they act, unless it is something that really offends me (see Gylfi and Greenwood for players who offend me).

35 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Absolutely spot on.  The virtue signalling defence of him is getting on my nerves. 

I’m not arsed if we had players who are gay, trans, non binary. I would support them as human beings. 

It’s not a virtue signalling defence, it’s people with opinions like me who don’t understand why people with opinions like you are so angry about all of this. It doesn’t make sense to us. We just don’t get why you’re so offended by this, because we are not offended at all.

Not sure why you’ve brought up gay, trans and non binary. What’s that got to do with any of this? 

21 minutes ago, StevO said:

It’s not a virtue signalling defence, it’s people with opinions like me who don’t understand why people with opinions like you are so angry about all of this. It doesn’t make sense to us. We just don’t get why you’re so offended by this, because we are not offended at all.

Not sure why you’ve brought up gay, trans and non binary. What’s that got to do with any of this? 

Oh sorry have I miss read that there is an undercurrent that dcls criticism is based on biggoted opinions?

I’m offended that he is known more for his off field pursuits than his on field pursuits this season. I’m offended that he has literally offered us fuck all when he’s on the pitch and when the rumour mill has produced unwarranted moves to supposed bigger clubs he has said fuck all to silence them. But he is happy to be quoted that he likes to be controversial.

he’s an absolute weapon who has got very high on himself since his England cap. 

We have fans looking at all permutations of how other teams playing xyz could help us stay up, or that certain players being injured may help us….. because one thing we can’t rely on is a supposed England striker being arsed to do his bit.   That’s what offends me, fair enough? 

and for the record baines going to gigs or Howard going to the states didn’t arse me in the slightest, nor did gana gueye wanting his move to PSG…. but Rodriguez taking photos of himself on a private jet, Lukaku walking round his final appearance at goodison texting Chelsea mates, did piss me off.  Any idea why? 

Simply put, some pros give everything whilst wearing the shirt and can’t be questioned. Others can, and do.  It’s not very difficult to spot a player who doesn’t give a shit, some of us are able to ignore their supposed status in the game and judge them as employees of the club. 

13 minutes ago, MikeO said:

That's all down to personal perception though, he's done damage in the minds of people who think the way you and Haf do, for most of us it's a complete non issue.

when you are a multi million earning footballer you need to be extremely careful as to how you are perceived in this day and age of mercenaries. 

it’s bad enough to be labelled as a disinterested footballer who is stealing a living.  There is loads of them - Andre Gomes is a perfect example.  He’s been pissing me off for a good while. 

Gomes though… the only thing he’s been visible for is selling hugs a few years back. He’s off the radar…. 

DCL?  Ffs, I was a massive fan of his attitude- work rate- professionalism.  Would I give a shit if he was pictured wearing a ball gown if he was covering 10k a match, bullying centre halves, pressing the shit out of defences and looking hungry like he did 2 years ago?  No chance.