IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

Assuming he stays, he needs to step up and really lead the line this season with Richys departure, and we need to give him the ammunition, he’s one of the best in the air in the PL, get those crosses in we will see goals.

Don't be daft. That'd require us to play to our strikers strengths!

what we need to do is to not over rely on Dom. Need to be able to play through the middle as well as from the wings. We don't want to be one dimensional.

Ali needs to step up or bring in another goal scoring midfielder like Lingard, we just might be ok to get free transfers  (so limited pool of players) - so either him or Eriksen should be a priority as both will bring goals to the team. Like it or not we did actually miss Gyfl in the squad last season. he was a threat in the middle and did chip in with goals, so did keep defenses on their toes. Last year we became just so predictable.  

Also need to put a whole lot of work in to set piece - win more corners and become solid at defending them - I think being a very good team at corner either end of the pitch can be worth +15 points a season. Shoot around the box and put crosses in with pace - deflections get to corners. 

To me, this is low hanging fruit when it come to picking up points over a whole season for a not top 6 side. 

Once Dom is fit, we will score goals. 
We saw what happens when crosses get put into the box. 
Lampard looks semi intelligent at least. And I can see him instructing players to get the ball into Dom from angles.

No more humps up the field, get the ball either to the byline, or angled crosses in.

In his only decent season of the 19 league goals 5 were from his head, the rest were nearly all poachers goals from from a few yards out. Ancelotti got it right by getting him in the area and working off the last man and anticipating the rebounds and blocked shots, the player he fed off the most was Richarlison by following in his shots and sliding home the lose ball and feeding off the bit’s and pieces. This one dimensional get the ball wide left or right and pump it in for DCL the loan striker isn’t going to improve us or him, that style of football becomes very easy cut off. We need a midfield who can play him in by getting behind teams in and around the box then he can feed off low driven shots or passes in the area. To think that we need to get crosse’s from wide areas for him to fight in the air for as the main focus of our attack is wrong. Just look on Google at his goals 20/21 season and you will see there’s more to his game than most give him credit for and Lampard needs to play to the strengths that Ancelotti brought out of him. 

44 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Once Dom is fit, we will score goals. 
We saw what happens when crosses get put into the box. 
Lampard looks semi intelligent at least. And I can see him instructing players to get the ball into Dom from angles.

No more humps up the field, get the ball either to the byline, or angled crosses in.

He doesn’t score many from headers on crosses.  Loads of his goals were from Rodriguez creativity and getting on the end of things for standard finishes.   

he’s a better player when he does the hold up role, battle, work channels and hopefully now understand the timing of runs to get on the end of things. I’d take less goals from him for more involvement. 

The thing is he isn't very polished when it comes to holding up the ball and then making the right decisions. 

He is great in the air and will get on things, and he will beat most players 1 v 1 in the air, but a lot breaks down with him outside the box and you dont want him shooting outside the box. 

His biggest asset in that one good season was his runs in the box and his alertness to follow things up and be in the right place at the right time. 

44 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He doesn’t score many from headers on crosses.  Loads of his goals were from Rodriguez creativity and getting on the end of things for standard finishes.   

he’s a better player when he does the hold up role, battle, work channels and hopefully now understand the timing of runs to get on the end of things. I’d take less goals from him for more involvement. 

Was just thinking this. A bit of magic from James to find Digne or Richarlison in space led to a lot of these goals. They all don’t play for us anymore. 😢

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

In his only decent season of the 19 league goals 5 were from his head, the rest were nearly all poachers goals from from a few yards out. Ancelotti got it right by getting him in the area and working off the last man and anticipating the rebounds and blocked shots, the player he fed off the most was Richarlison by following in his shots and sliding home the lose ball and feeding off the bit’s and pieces. This one dimensional get the ball wide left or right and pump it in for DCL the loan striker isn’t going to improve us or him, that style of football becomes very easy cut off. We need a midfield who can play him in by getting behind teams in and around the box then he can feed off low driven shots or passes in the area. To think that we need to get crosse’s from wide areas for him to fight in the air for as the main focus of our attack is wrong. Just look on Google at his goals 20/21 season and you will see there’s more to his game than most give him credit for and Lampard needs to play to the strengths that Ancelotti brought out of him. 

I doubt Lampard will go for one dimensional mate. 

Getting to the by line isn’t humping the ball in, it’s learning to play behind. Man City have made it an art. Get to line, give yourself options. Can cross it in, drive it along the box, pull it back.

And as yourself and others have pointed out, he is dangerous in the six yard box.

What I would say is you guys are missing out how many goals he has scored with his head. He is very good in the air. It’s probably his biggest strength. 
Not sure we’re on about the same guy haha.

6 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Getting to the by line isn’t humping the ball in, it’s learning to play behind. Man City have made it an art. Get to line, give yourself options. Can cross it in, drive it along the box, pull it back.

And as yourself and others have pointed out, he is dangerous in the six yard box.

What I would say is you guys are missing out how many goals he has scored with his head. He is very good in the air. It’s probably his biggest strength. 

I would love to see us get to the byline a lot more. From there you have loads more options and you give other players the time to get in the box or around it. 

Another reason I find Gordon/Gray playing on the left so frustrating because they are always cutting inside into trouble rather than creating space for others to run into. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Shukes read my post properly and you will see about getting in behind, then read posts in front of mine who advocate crosse’s from wide area’s to make the most of what they consider his  best asset heading the ball, then watch his goals under Ancelotti and you will see and understand what I’m saying his biggest strength that season was getting in the right place and scoring from 3 or 4 yards out on the ground, out of his 5 with his head 2 or 3 he didn’t have to jump or dive for poor defending made them easy, so much so even Warwick Davis would have got his head on them. He’s been wasted as a player by those who just think his only asset is his heading ability. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

That season he fed off a lot of Richarlison’s attempts at goal and in the area touch’s, but your right we need a play maker to put good passes in to feet of players in and around the box, we don’t need constant crosse’s from the corner flag into the box. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Shukes read my post properly and you will see about getting in behind, then read posts in front of mine who advocate crosse’s from wide area’s to make the most of what they consider his  best asset heading the ball, then watch his goals under Ancelotti and you will see and understand what I’m saying his biggest strength that season was getting in the right place and scoring from 3 or 4 yards out on the ground, out of his 5 with his head 2 or 3 he didn’t have to jump or dive for poor defending made them easy, so much so even Warwick Davis would have got his head on them. He’s been wasted as a player by those who just think his only asset is his heading ability. 

Disagree respectfully.

His headed goals have been a good mix of getting highly at the back post, quick reactive knocks and a few diving and m front of his defender bravely. 

I 100% don’t think his head is his only asset, but I do think it is his best. I also agree with Haf that he is decent at holding the ball up. I also recognise that he actually has a turn of pace. And 100% he is better than Richie at one on one’s, hence him being used wide in his early days.

Its also evident that he gives us another dimension with that diagonal ball into the box. Example being the goal that saved our season. A good team has options, lots of different options. 
If Lampard can tap into those options, we will have a much better season.

Carlos failure was relying on that poacher option, and ultimately failing.

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

Disagree respectfully.

His headed goals have been a good mix of getting highly at the back post, quick reactive knocks and a few diving and m front of his defender bravely. 

I 100% don’t think his head is his only asset, but I do think it is his best. I also agree with Haf that he is decent at holding the ball up. I also recognise that he actually has a turn of pace. And 100% he is better than Richie at one on one’s, hence him being used wide in his early days.

Its also evident that he gives us another dimension with that diagonal ball into the box. Example being the goal that saved our season. A good team has options, lots of different options. 

DCL has not shown he’s more than a poacher with decent hold up play. He just hasn’t.  I’m not sure why you would say he is better than Richie in 1 v 1’s and then use the fact that he used to be a wide player years ago as support for this. Richie is a wide player at the Premier League level..Dom isn’t.

He is not a player who beats people individually to get his own shot or create a chance often. Richie does that far more. Has Dom ever even had a threatening chance from outside the box? Has he ever beaten a man and then driven in on goal to create a great opportunity? It’s rare, at best. His average shot comes from about 5 yards out. He’s all the way an aerial player and a poacher. He’s good at it and it can be effective if he gets the service but without it he’s pretty limited as we’ve seen for long stretches. 

19 minutes ago, StevO said:

Somehow being a poacher is being talked about as a negative. I don’t get it. Not enough strikers are poachers. Get DCL the ball in the box and he will score goals. It’s not that complicated, it’s not a bad thing. 

I think its because in modern football, strikers need to be a lot more than poachers. 

Its very hard to get the ball in the box and feed a striker if they arent good enough in other areas of the game. 

7 hours ago, Shukes said:

Disagree respectfully.

I feel like DCL is one of the worst in one on ones. Maybe I just remember the misses more vividly but I'd rather have Richie in 1v1. First touch shooting/heading in a crowded box...that's my memory DCL

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Somehow being a poacher is being talked about as a negative. I don’t get it. Not enough strikers are poachers. Get DCL the ball in the box and he will score goals. It’s not that complicated, it’s not a bad thing. 

Right. He can have a very productive career as a striker in the right sort of setup with the attributes he has. He’s just not Harry Kane. I’ve always thought he’d do well with a striker partner as that would give him more space to get his shot off and getting that attention on a cross would open things up for others.

9 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

DCL has not shown he’s more than a poacher with decent hold up play. He just hasn’t.  I’m not sure why you would say he is better than Richie in 1 v 1’s and then use the fact that he used to be a wide player years ago as support for this. Richie is a wide player at the Premier League level..Dom isn’t.

He is not a player who beats people individually to get his own shot or create a chance often. Richie does that far more. Has Dom ever even had a threatening chance from outside the box? Has he ever beaten a man and then driven in on goal to create a great opportunity? It’s rare, at best. His average shot comes from about 5 yards out. He’s all the way an aerial player and a poacher. He’s good at it and it can be effective if he gets the service but without it he’s pretty limited as we’ve seen for long stretches. 

He is better than Richie one on one. 
Richies biggest weakness was running at players…. Or rather running into players. 

Yes Dom has. He has scored a couple from outside the box as well. 

He did play wide for us at the start as well, not making that up haha. And he could beat a man. He doesn’t do it often now as he plays centrally mainly with his back to goal. 
And again, he IS decent at holding the ball up.

Look I loved Richie, but come on be serious… if he started running at the defences, you groaned because you knew exactly what was going to happen. I mean come on, it wasn’t just on occasion, it was pretty much 90% of his runs were a forest dump run Into a wall! 

4 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Richies biggest weakness was running at players…. Or rather running into players. 

He did play wide for us at the start as well, not making that up haha. And he could beat a man. He doesn’t do it often now as he plays centrally mainly with his back to goal. 

Look I loved Richie, but come on be serious… if he started running at the defences, you groaned because you knew exactly what was going to happen. I mean come on, it wasn’t just on occasion, it was pretty much 90% of his runs were a forest dump run Into a wall! 

No way Dom is better than DCL at 121. Maybe one of the statos can confirm.

im the same as you, I'd rather have Dom than Richie for several reasons but 1on1s is not Don's forte. 

29 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

No way Dom is better than DCL at 121. Maybe one of the statos can confirm.

im the same as you, I'd rather have Dom than Richie for several reasons but 1on1s is not Don's forte. 

Haha Dom is 100% as DCL as good.

One question. Is it because you don’t see him take people on, or because he does often but fails?

Also. Interesting to hear, how would you rate Richie’s 1v1?

Tried to find some, but not very good at looking haha.

Interestingly though for those that say he doesn’t score many with his head.

19 with his head. 
20 with his right. 
5 with his left. 

My source has been checked officially by the FA and UEFA. 

The sites that others are rampantly checking at the moment trying to prove me wrong have been proven fake time and again! Fact!

I think there's some confusion about what Shukes means when he's talking about 1v1's. Understandable because Shukes rarely knows what he means about anything :lol:.

He's not talking about 1v1 as in racing in on goal with just the keeper to beat, he means taking players on and going past players. Like what wingers do.

All that being said, I don't agree that Dom is any better than Richarlison was at that.

6 hours ago, Shukes said:

We’ve watched different games I guess. Richie drives at defenders and creates opportunities pretty regularly. Highlights are not usually a good way to prove a point but in this case I think they do. He’s not a great decision maker in the final 1/3 for sure but we’ve had games where we just play it to Richie on the wing and he makes something happen several times a game. 

This isn’t a feature of Dom’s game at all. He does not create space for himself. This isn’t a striker issue it’s a Dominic issue. All the best strikers in the league have the ability to drop a shoulder and get a good shot off or to drive past a player. Lukaku had this in abundance. Salah, Kane, Ronaldo, Vardy etc.. Dom has never had that at this level. I just watched all his goals from two seasons ago, his best season by far. Every goal came from around the penalty spot area or closer and ZERO of them were him getting his own shot. Not 1. Half of them were from inside the 6 yard box. He’s great in the air and has learned to be a good gambler in the box. Lots of his goals are tap-ins when someone sends it across the frame . It’s a valuable attribute to know where to be but he’s always going to be capped in how good he can be if he doesn’t have the component we are discussing.

Not for nothing but he’s also stolen a Richie goal that was headed in both of the last two seasons from about a foot out.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I think there's some confusion about what Shukes means when he's talking about 1v1's. Understandable because Shukes rarely knows what he means about anything :lol:.

He's not talking about 1v1 as in racing in on goal with just the keeper to beat, he means taking players on and going past players. Like what wingers do.

All that being said, I don't agree that Dom is any better than Richarlison was at that.

I took it to mean beating a player but it’s a distinction that doesn’t matter to much as he doesn’t do this. If Dom gets the ball 20 or 30 yards from goal in a 1 v 1 I’m not thinking about how he’s going to score or even get a good shot off, I’m looking to see if anyone else is making a run so he can pass it.