IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

Under Ancelotti we worked the ball too get to the byline and put in crosses high and low for him to run onto, which he thrived on that season. 

I don’t understand why we’re not doing that more now, McNeil, Harrison, Myko, Garner, Patterson, Coleman can put decent balls in, not always of course, and I enjoy seeing that type of play.

8 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

I don’t understand why we’re not doing that more now, McNeil, Harrison, Myko, Garner, Patterson, Coleman can put decent balls in, not always of course, and I enjoy seeing that type of play.

Because we play far too slowly for any of those players to get in a good position to do it and if they do get in a good position to do it we’ve taken too long to get there so when the ball comes in DCL has 2 or 3 defenders with him. 

16 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

We do put crosses in usually 15-20 yards from the byline there harder to score from and easier to defend, we don’t seem to get to byline in games anymore where DCL can run in on to the ball. Why I don’t know 🤷‍♂️ 

Rom’s just answered it. 

12 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Because we play far too slowly for any of those players to get in a good position to do it and if they do get in a good position to do it we’ve taken too long to get there so when the ball comes in DCL has 2 or 3 defenders with him. 

We do generally, and then on the rare occasion we snap out of the comatose style and speed up, we did so in the first half on Monday and created a great chance, why we don’t do it more often is my frustration.

21 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

We do generally, and then on the rare occasion we snap out of the comatose style and speed up, we did so in the first half on Monday and created a great chance, why we don’t do it more often is my frustration.

That is what we were all saying on Monday - look what happens when you speed things up. It's not that they can't do it.

Then we'd go back to slow, nothingness again.

16 hours ago, Palfy said:

We do put crosses in usually 15-20 yards from the byline there harder to score from and easier to defend, we don’t seem to get to byline in games anymore where DCL can run in on to the ball. Why I don’t know 🤷‍♂️ 

Rom’s just answered it. 

I have been doing this in the kids training recently. 
Showing them how to run to the line and pull it back, the stay behind the ball and are now finding out how easy it is to meet a ball rather than have to step backwards to receive it. How pro footballers haven’t worked this out is beyond me. 

On 20/02/2024 at 09:35, Romey 1878 said:

I know he had a couple of opportunities last night but I do feel sorry for him at the minute because he's got a thankless task up front for us right now.

We are just twatting the ball up to him and hoping he can win it and then... what? Players aren't getting around him well enough. Last night he won 17 out of 20 duels - that's top work. But how many times did we support him after he's done that? We were slow to every second ball, really lethargic.

He needs to score, no doubt about that, but the rest of the players (midfield) need to help him. Whether that's being brave with the ball or being aggressive out of possession.

I agree. He is still our best option as a starting striker given his attributes discussed about. I think he will benefit massivley now Doucs is back. Last night you could see Doucs was short of match fitness - so hopefully if DCL and Doucs can stay fit than that will hold us in good stead for the rest of the season. 

I was gutted when the goal was give to Harrison a couple of weeks ago - I though he had finally ended his drought.

I was desperate for a DCL goal and a win against Palace - that would have made a massive difference to the general feel around the place going in the final third of the season.

On a positive note, before the Palace game the bookies had us at 3/1 for relegation and today we are 4/1, so in that way it was maybe a slightly better week for us than our nearest rivals. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Sibdane said:

Controversial opinion: he works hard, but he’s not clinical enough.

We need a creative or opportunistic striker given our poor squad.  

I think it would be a lot more controversial if you said he was clinical. Anyone who has ever seen him play will know that he has all the tools to be a top class centre forward ( work rate, touch, attitude, physicality, speed, positioning) except for finishing 

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I think it would be a lot more controversial if you said he was clinical. Anyone who has ever seen him play will know that he has all the tools to be a top class centre forward ( work rate, touch, attitude, physicality, speed, positioning) except for finishing 

If only he could finish like Simms with everything else in his armour he would be one of the world’s best, and if that was the case he wouldn’t still be here the fact that he is surely has to be because no one is interested in a striker who doesn’t finish, without that everything else for a striker is meaningless. 

He is capable though.

I think as a team we use him for all his other strengths and neglect him in terms of allowing him to be in the best places to finish.

Let's not forget, before this season he had 2 injury riddled seasons where his appearances were very stop-start.

Before that, he had 2 seasons of getting 15 and 21 goals for us...when told to focus on just being a striker.

He also netted 4 times for England.

It's mad frustrating for us all that we know, whatever opinions on other matters are, that a scoring DCL...even just another 5-10 goals this season so far...would have us in a very different position.

Hopefully he can now get some confidence back and have some sort of impact for us.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

If any of you lot are religious please pray for him to be fit on Sunday.

I’ve given up on religion as a reliable way of getting what you want, I’ve been praying for weeks now that Dyche gets sacked. 

On 17/04/2024 at 12:37, Hafnia said:

The inflatable Gomes could partner the real Gomes in midfield and offer more than Onana.  

shukes - are you happy to give him a clean and send him to Dyche? 

I love Everton…. Buts it’s hard to give up my Gomes!

What about a wooden Onana? 
Oh wait… I sold him to Everton already.

41 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Personally I wouldn’t risk him for the Liverpool game or Brentford if still not fully fit, I’d concentrate on getting him right for the Luton and Sheffield games beat these two teams and we will be safe, time to play and plan for survival and not risk players who could breakdown against teams that we aren’t realistically going to win against Liverpool being one. 

If I was a betting man I’d say Dyche will be thinking along the same lines and we’ll only see him on the bench. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Personally I wouldn’t risk him for the Liverpool game or Brentford if still not fully fit, I’d concentrate on getting him right for the Luton and Sheffield games beat these two teams and we will be safe, time to play and plan for survival and not risk players who could breakdown against teams that we aren’t realistically going to win against Liverpool being one. 

I like the look of chermiti. Be interesting to see what he offers in a derby.  He does like a booking 

2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I like the look of chermiti. Be interesting to see what he offers in a derby.  He does like a booking 

What would be interesting if he started it might force us to find a different way to play, there’s been talk of looking for changes even if it involves Dyche’s clothes 😄, with Chermitti playing it should make us play into feet and get more men around him, giving him long balls to fight for isn’t going to work for him. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

What would be interesting if he started it might force us to find a different way to play, there’s been talk of looking for changes even if it involves Dyche’s clothes 😄, with Chermitti playing it should make us play into feet and get more men around him, giving him long balls to fight for isn’t going to work for him. 

Dunno you know, looks very strong.