IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

He definitely should have put that chance away in the first half but the fact is that he's an infinitely better option than Beto in our side because his all round game is on a completely different level. Our play completely falls apart with Beto up front because he is terrible at winning the ball and holding the ball up. For a big lad that is a crap footballer he really doesn't put himself about enough for me.

It's not hard to see that he came to professional football late.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He definitely should have put that chance away in the first half but the fact is that he's an infinitely better option than Beto in our side because his all round game is on a completely different level. Our play completely falls apart with Beto up front because he is terrible at winning the ball and holding the ball up. For a big lad that is a crap footballer he really doesn't put himself about enough for me.

It's not hard to see that he came to professional football late.

How long can we wait for him to put one away? I love the player but he is frustrating at the moment and we need goals.

Calvert-Lewin IS momentarily the best option and I agree with what Romey said.

However, it's crystal clear that Calvert-Lewin is not scoring either, and that is a problem ... him being a striker.

So what do we do? Playing with two up front will not happen for obvious reasons. Do we sort of just wait it out till the end of the season even though we don't know if we get (God forbid) relegated or not? What options do we have? I'm afraid not that many.

If we can keep a strong midfield then it might not be a problem.

He looks like he is a confidence player. We need to get him on the scoresheet and then see what happens.

Having him back coincided with our best run of results for a very long time. And make no mistake, the hardest chance for any player to put away is a one on one, always has been and always will be. He needs to be on the end of balls into the box, that’s where his strengths are. 

It doesn’t look like we can use January to find a solution either, so we need to work with what we have and find a way for us to get goals again.

6 hours ago, Shukes said:

the hardest chance for any player to put away is a one on one, always has been and always will be.

I agree. I always think wingers and creative kind of players are better in those situations than strikers. Strikers seem to be better playing on instinct (look at Jelavic, first time finish fantastic, time to think about it garbage). Mirallas, Naismith, Gylfi, Richarlison and Pienaar, take them lot in a one on one over most strikers we’ve had in the last 20 years. 

29 minutes ago, StevO said:

I agree. I always think wingers and creative kind of players are better in those situations than strikers. Strikers seem to be better playing on instinct (look at Jelavic, first time finish fantastic, time to think about it garbage). Mirallas, Naismith, Gylfi, Richarlison and Pienaar, take them lot in a one on one over most strikers we’ve had in the last 20 years. 

DCL is our main penalty taker so you would think he could cope with one on ones, by making his mind up early and committing to the shot. He’s snatching at opportunities with no belief or conviction in what he is trying to do, yet he is still by far our best player at playing the lone role up front and the opposition defenders would rather not have him on the pitch than have him on it, that’s how difficult he is to play against he can’t score but he does so much more for the team in his work ethic and hold up play. 

56 minutes ago, Palfy said:

DCL is our main penalty taker so you would think he could cope with one on ones, by making his mind up early and committing to the shot.

Totally different skills needed for the two situations, Stuart Pearce was a superb penalty taker but you'd not back him in a one on one at game speed, Baines the same. Julian Dicks at West Ham? There are many examples.

47 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Totally different skills needed for the two situations, Stuart Pearce was a superb penalty taker but you'd not back him in a one on one at game speed, Baines the same. Julian Dicks at West Ham? There are many examples.

I agree that the 3 you named wouldn’t be good at one on ones and being they are all LBs I wouldn’t expect them to be, and I can’t remember any occasions particularly with Baines because I would have seen a very high percentage of his games were I remember any of his one on ones that he scored or missed. 

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

I agree that the 3 you named wouldn’t be good at one on ones and being they are all LBs I wouldn’t expect them to be, and I can’t remember any occasions particularly with Baines because I would have seen a very high percentage of his games were I remember any of his one on ones that he scored or missed. 

My point was simply that the ability to take a decent penalty isn't any indication of a player who's going to be a great open play one on one finisher.

On 15/01/2024 at 23:30, MikeO said:

I would fancy Baines in any situation. There is nothing he couldn’t do! 😍

I miss him so much. 😢

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Newty82 said:

Can we all do some sort of rain dance for DCL to score?

I feel once he gets THAT goal, the heavens will open up.

Fuck me, we need him to find it ASAP!

It doesn't help that it seems without him scoring the only other player we have that can score consistently is Doucoure and he's been goosed.

Fingers crossed he's back on Saturday.

• 3 weeks later...

I know he had a couple of opportunities last night but I do feel sorry for him at the minute because he's got a thankless task up front for us right now.

We are just twatting the ball up to him and hoping he can win it and then... what? Players aren't getting around him well enough. Last night he won 17 out of 20 duels - that's top work. But how many times did we support him after he's done that? We were slow to every second ball, really lethargic.

He needs to score, no doubt about that, but the rest of the players (midfield) need to help him. Whether that's being brave with the ball or being aggressive out of possession.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I know he had a couple of opportunities last night but I do feel sorry for him at the minute because he's got a thankless task up front for us right now.

We are just twatting the ball up to him and hoping he can win it and then... what? Players aren't getting around him well enough. Last night he won 17 out of 20 duels - that's top work. But how many times did we support him after he's done that? We were slow to every second ball, really lethargic.

He needs to score, no doubt about that, but the rest of the players (midfield) need to help him. Whether that's being brave with the ball or being aggressive out of possession.

Totally agree with all of that but thought it was a typical DCL performance. His all round game was very good but he can’t finish. Those two headers he missed were both sitters

I thought his overall game was really good last night, winning the ball regularly with both feet and head and either holding up, winning foul or distributing well.  17 Aerials won is huge though also shows the ugly way we are playing!

He drops in well to win the ball though this is where we have a problem in the game that we are playing, often he  wins it having dropped back a bit from the centre backs but no one is then overlapping to give a good forward momentum.

He definitely benefited from having Doucoure back providing better support that gets closer to him.

Despite playing lots of aerial balls I thought we didn't actually get enough crosses in the box, at least not prior to going behind.  Mykolenko and McNeil both put in some great balls but not regularly enough.

DCL should have definitely done better with the one that he headed wide, this is the kind of chance that he'd put away if he wasn't on such a long run without a goal.  Just needs to find the net once and I think he'll keep going, hopefully sooner rather than later though!

2 hours ago, Harv said:

Once he scores again Dom will be the force we know he can be. 
It’s just how long before he gets one.

I think we have to mix it up a bit, go two up top during games. Teams know what to expect from DCL. The same can't be said of Beto (who appears not to know what to expect from himself) and Chermiti. 

6 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

And what division will we be playing in by the time he dose rediscover his scoring ability

Good question, let us hope it’s sooner rather than later.

Of our so called strikers, I think he is our best option. I had high hopes when Beto arrived but they quickly faded.

On 20/02/2024 at 19:58, Matt said:

He needs a partner like Dourcoure, a poacher to work with DCL. Think Haf called for Dobbin as the number 10, I'm thinking that's the best option currently until Doucoure is actually fit again.

I agree he does need more help from players getting around him. When he had his one and only decent season when it came to goals under Ancelotti he was turned into the poacher, he scored a majority of his goals inside the 6 yard box, that’s the sign of a good poacher. 
This won’t happen for him under Dyche because he is being used how Ferguson was under Moyes, with the long punt up to big man to fight for while others try to get round him and feed off knock downs or passes. 
Under Ancelotti we worked the ball too get to the byline and put in crosses high and low for him to run onto, which he thrived on that season.