IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

On 02/10/2022 at 11:27, Palfy said:

I thought he did alright to be honest we dominated the game in MF and the fact we did that without him having to run around headless for me proves that a Gana who is more focused and controlled in his duties is better for the team as a team, if not so eye catching for himself. 

No, no, no. 
It proves his old manager here wanted him to chase the ball, his current manager doesn’t. Surely that’s obvious to you now? 😂

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bailey said:

He started well again yesterday but he faded badly and his recovery effort and concentration was shocking at times. 

21 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Still a hell of a lot better than Onana.

I’m in favor of dropping both Gana and Onana for the Palace match, and starting Garner and Davies or Doucouré.  Use Davies as DCM, Garner and Iwobi as ACMs.  If Doucouré rather than Davies, I’m not sure Doucouré is capable of sticking to a sitter/DCM role, as he’s a wanderer.  So if it were to be Doucouré and Garner, perhaps Garner sits and protects, allowing Doucouré and Iwobi to attack.  Both Iwobi and Doucouré are energetic enough to defend, too.

Re Gana/Onana, I’m a bit more hopeful that Onana will come good as the season progresses.  I worry that Gana thinks he’s a box-to-box player, and even more worried that Lampard thinks that, too.

Although Gana seems somewhat less likely than in his previous years at Everton to run all over the pitch, he still ventures too far forward, even though as an attacker he has few skills, and when too far forward is out of position as DCM.  He should sit and protect the back 4, only rarely venturing forward much past midfield.  He needs to do fewer things, and concentrate a helluva lot more on taking few risks and protecting the back 4, not to mention protecting the ball.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

As a new dynamic midfield, it isn't really working out how we had hoped.

Yes, pretty frustrating just now.  Not as bad as our “strikeforce,” but hardly dynamic, either.  Iwobi’s done the best, obviously.

I prefer Lampard keep Iwobi, but replace the 2 underperformers with Garner and either Davies or Doucouré.  We need hungry players in midfield on Saturday.  And competence in the front 3.

On 20/10/2022 at 09:50, Elston Gunnn said:

I’m in favor of dropping both Gana and Onana for the Palace match, and starting Garner and Davies or Doucouré.  Use Davies as DCM, Garner and Iwobi as ACMs.  If Doucouré rather than Davies, I’m not sure Doucouré is capable of sticking to a sitter/DCM role, as he’s a wanderer.  So if it were to be Doucouré and Garner, perhaps Garner sits and protects, allowing Doucouré and Iwobi to attack.  Both Iwobi and Doucouré are energetic enough to defend, too.

Re Gana/Onana, I’m a bit more hopeful that Onana will come good as the season progresses.  I worry that Gana thinks he’s a box-to-box player, and even more worried that Lampard thinks that, too.

Although Gana seems somewhat less likely than in his previous years at Everton to run all over the pitch, he still ventures too far forward, even though as an attacker he has few skills, and when too far forward is out of position as DCM.  He should sit and protect the back 4, only rarely venturing forward much past midfield.  He needs to do fewer things, and concentrate a helluva lot more on taking few risks and protecting the back 4, not to mention protecting the ball.

Isn’t hindsight a wonderful thing ! 😜

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Isn’t hindsight a wonderful thing ! 😜

It’s possible Lampard knows more than I.  Understand, I’m not conceding he does, just admitting the possibility.

I will continue to fret each time Gana Gueye acts the ACM rather than the DCM, and will continue to (1) curse the heavens each time he advances even so much as one step ahead of Iwobi/Onana, and (2) advise Frank both pre- and in-match.

I do like Frank and will not, should our boys lay an egg in some upcoming match, call for his head, nor even utter the phrase, “Frank’s lost the plot.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I noticed Gana had a fair few motm votes, he did catch the eye a few times, both positive and negative, whilst I wholeheartedly appreciate his positives in the game, I can't discount his negatives of 2-3 very poor back passes that if we were playing a half decent team could have easily resulted in goals, therefore for those reasons I could no way brush them under the carpet and give him motm, if he hadn't made those poor errors then I would have definitely considered him. 

I'm ecstatic that Dyche shamed the moron for his fuck up by subbing him at half time. I hope he tore him to shreds in front of the team when he explained to him that he wouldn't be appearing for the second half as well.

A player of his experience fucking daydreaming that close to his own penalty area is unacceptable. 

6 hours ago, RPG said:

I hope you are correct and that Gueye hasn't spat the dummy at being (quite rightly) subbed at half time.

On his day he is a real asset to the team but we can't afford any more cock ups like the last one from him.

I never thought of that to be honest. If he has after that, then I agree completely he should be dropped. I would like to think that being a senior player he would take it and own it, but you just don’t know with pro footballers anymore.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

For dyche to take a player off at half time says “I’m fucking fuming with you”.

The collapse had nothing to do with gana being off the pitch, it was because his blunder when he was on it completely took the gas out of us. 

I would play James Garner on Sunday with Doucoure and Onana. 

It started from his mistake of course, but it definitely did make an impact on the rest of the game. That second half wasn’t a couple of brain farts, it was us hanging on for dear life. We looked lambs to the slaughter. The only shock was they didn’t score more goals.

If you’re right and that goal destroyed us completely…. Then we have much deeper problems than we could have ever imagined.

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

For dyche to take a player off at half time says “I’m fucking fuming with you”.

The collapse had nothing to do with gana being off the pitch, it was because his blunder when he was on it completely took the gas out of us. 

I would play James Garner on Sunday with Doucoure and Onana. 

Is he ready though? Anyone watch the u21 game?  All I know is the scoreline and it was a 3-0 loss.  

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

It started from his mistake of course, but it definitely did make an impact on the rest of the game. That second half wasn’t a couple of brain farts, it was us hanging on for dear life. We looked lambs to the slaughter. The only shock was they didn’t score more goals.

If you’re right and that goal destroyed us completely…. Then we have much deeper problems than we could have ever imagined.

That has been a long standing issue, we seen that bs Brighton, we seen it vs Villa, we seen it vs Liverpool.