IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

I thought he came on and played like he had never been away. He sat in that holding position and just knocked the ball around and picked off attacks too. In fact, I think he looked more composed than he used to in that brief cameo in a hectic game.

He did cost us a chance when he came out of position, didn't win the ball and was taken out of the game leaving us exposed to the counter. He did a similar thing not long before, won the ball and set us on the attack so it is swings and roundabouts. 

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I thought he came on and played like he had never been away. He sat in that holding position and just knocked the ball around and picked off attacks too.

He did cost us a chance when he came out of position, didn't win the ball and was taken out of the game leaving us exposed to the counter. He did a similar thing not long before, won the ball and set us on the attack so it is swings and roundabouts. 

18 minutes ago, StevO said:

Or he was following a different set of tactics than when he was here previously? 🤔

These observations by Bailey and StevO might serve as the beginning of a conversation that will merit attention, elaboration, and debate (not to mention, of course, irritation, snark, and insult) as this season progresses.

As often as not I supported Palfy’s and pete0’s criticism of Gana Gueye when he played for us before.  For me, it came down to the IGG “risk/reward” calculation, and rather too many of what Bailey here refers to “swings and roundabouts.”  Perhaps StevO’s question — genuine, I gather, given the emogi — is a key, about which we will learn more as Lampard’s tactics emerge.

I will hope that those tactics will hinge on Gana Gueye being deployed, as Bailey describes his play yesterday, to sit, hold, pick off, and knock the ball around.  I think Gana Gueye is way, way best deployed as a holding DCM, not as a box-to-box midfielder.  He’s just not much good, skill-wise, near the opponent’s box; worse, he’s dangerously away from his great defensive positional-strength there.  None of our other 6 midfielders can compare to his brilliance as a holding DCM.  But most, perhaps all of the other 6, offer more in attack.  Iwobi, Onana, and Doucouré are certainly better than IGG going forward, Davies and Garner probably so; even the rarely-to-be-seen-again Allan has a “better” shot than IGG.

Gana Gueye can be our most valuable player, our fulcrum, (1) in protecting the back 4, and (2) in freeing our 5 attacking players to push forward, press, attack, cross, score goals.  Happy for him — Bailey again — to pick off, win the ball, and set us on the attack.  But he should rarely continue to attack; leave that to actual ACMs, wingers, and forwards, which, to our delight and surprise, are now in the squad in pretty good numbers.

4 hours ago, StevO said:

Or he was following a different set of tactics than when he was here previously? 🤔

Yes and no. 

On occasion, he used to play as a single pivot in his first spell which I always thought he played his best football. Like you mentioned earlier, he seemed to be sharper on the ball and I think it was a good point about having played with better players at PSG and developing his game that little bit. 

From a tactical view, it was clearly a much different role than he used to play most of the time in his first spell which led to him having to harry and harass the opponent further up the pitch and more aggressively which requires better decision making and awareness. 

At the end of the day it was only a very brief cameo so we will see a lot more of him in the coming weeks to see if his game has developed or whether it was a one-off.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

If anyone can't see that he's an improved player after playing with some of the best players at PSG then you're a fool.

He's a massively more composed and disciplined player now. What really stood out to me today was that he doesn't just go charging round the pitch chasing the ball anymore, he's better at just knowing where he needs to be on the pitch.

I worried that he might not have the legs to be the player we had, but it doesn't look he'll need to anyway because he's not the player we had, he's different (better).

He is much more a team player in his approach to the game the ball magnet is definitely getting weaker, whether that’s down to his time at PSG or his age who knows, but he’s not leaving gaping holes chasing lost causes. And he is now directing players around him he’s definitely looking at the bigger picture, that must have been instilled from his time in France because he never showed it here his first time around. Definitely a different  player than the one who left here 3 years ago which is good news, because I wasn’t looking forward to a couple of years of being the odd one out. 

• 2 weeks later...