IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

Where's all the city players? Oh wait, you don't win the league for getting the most tackles in. 

Surely seeing stats like that where Gana is such an outlier you'd think he's doing it too much? Like he's just tackling for the sake of it. There's no thought, there's no playing with his brain, he's just a tackling robot. 

4 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Where's all the city players? Oh wait, you don't win the league for getting the most tackles in. 

Surely seeing stats like that where Gana is such an outlier you'd think he's doing it too much? Like he's just tackling for the sake of it. There's no thought, there's no playing with his brain, he's just a tackling robot. 

Are you fucking serious?! You truly are inept

7 minutes ago, pete0 said:

😂😂😂😂 A DM who tackles too much . The gift that keeps on giving! 

Hope we can sign a striker this summer who scores too many 

20 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Inept is tackling for the sake of it. Sometimes it's smarter to let the opposition keep the ball but then again maybe Mourinho is just inept. 

The guy who got found out the last few years? No, he’s not inept, he’s been found out (like tiki taka managers). The game has changed, pressing has (finally) taken over as the new fad tactic. In 5 years time, it’ll be a “low” press again, then possession; rinse and repeat. Which is why the best teams set the trend rather than follow suit years behind  

I do agree that tackling for tackling sake can, in a very small amount of cases, can be counter productive. But pressing and hounding constantly means that 99/100 it pays off. 

29 minutes ago, Matt said:

The guy who got found out the last few years? No, he’s not inept, he’s been found out (like tiki taka managers). The game has changed, pressing has (finally) taken over as the new fad tactic. In 5 years time, it’ll be a “low” press again, then possession; rinse and repeat. Which is why the best teams set the trend rather than follow suit years behind  

I do agree that tackling for tackling sake can, in a very small amount of cases, can be counter productive. But pressing and hounding constantly means that 99/100 it pays off. 

Found out? He won the uefa with a really poor man u side and dragged them to second. 

If you are defending in your own third you don't press the same as how you would further up the field. The team is in two banks of four. Gana just doesn't read the play. Nothing to do with pressing tactics, we were defending in our own area. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

I hope we sell him just so we don’t have to hear this rubbish anymore. 

I know you’re being sarcastic, but I’d still like to know from some of Gana’s (many) strong supporters what fee you think Everton should demand.  That is, assume both that he’s determined to leave for CL football and Everton are determined not to sell for less than what Everton and many others say is an unusually valuable player?  How much should we insist on, in that scenario?

6 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

I know you’re being sarcastic, but I’d still like to know from some of Gana’s (many) strong supporters what fee you think Everton should demand.  That is, assume both that he’s determined to leave for CL football and Everton are determined not to sell for less than what Everton and many others say is an unusually valuable player?  How much should we insist on, in that scenario?

£40 mill minimum

5 hours ago, Shukes said:

Your talking football now though, that’s not what this thread is about. 

Palfy and PeteO would teach kids to rush in and double up in the penalty area and leave a space behind. Whereas a football coach would teach kids to take up the space between, and force the player towards the line to make a more acutely angle.... again, Palfy and PeteO would be telling them to show the player the inside and give them a larger target to aim at.

To them it makes sense.

To the rest of the known universe, it doesn’t.

Me and Palfy both said he should position himself not rush in. 

5 hours ago, Shukes said:

Just been looking it up.

The only count a tackle as won if it turns over possession or takes the ball out of play, so err.... yes.... it does mean that.

Check it first game of the season. Tackle was just disposing the player with the ball. 

15 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

I’d take £35m if he was adamant he wanted to leave, I’d like more but I think that would be a fair price. 

16 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

I am one of the more vocal supporters of him on TT.

But honestly, only because he gets unfair criticism. Some of it is just mind bending that some fans see football so differently.

Saying that, I don’t think gana is an amazing player, just a solid, very good player. I wouldn’t be upset if he went just as long as we replace him.

I would say 35m is a fair price. I would be happy with that.

38 minutes ago, Palfy said:

But that’s what happened you nutter he rushed in towards the ball got wrong side and was brushed off. 

He should have been going in and closing down the space behind Martina in anticipation he could get beat and then he could face him up and stop the shot. 

Simples my furry friend.  

10 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Once Martina was down he had to close in. would have been the same result if he held off. He didn’t do himself any favours, but again, it’s dumbfounding how he is to blame for it as well. 

Going in would have a left a large open space behind them both. His manager would have gone nuts at him if he did that. Haha even Sam can coach better than that.

I'm unsure if you're just on a wind up now. Palf said he should be in the space behind him. 

Before Salah beats Martina, Gana should already be in the space that Salah ran into, goalside, blocking off a clear run into the box. 

58 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I am one of the more vocal supporters of him on TT.

But honestly, only because he gets unfair criticism. Some of it is just mind bending that some fans see football so differently.

Saying that, I don’t think gana is an amazing player, just a solid, very good player. I wouldn’t be upset if he went just as long as we replace him.

I would say 35m is a fair price. I would be happy with that.

Sounds about right shame your not his agent, I’m not as foolish as some might think sure we would miss him if we didn’t replace but with that sort of money I believe Brands will find someone younger and hopefully better. 

But what really gets to me is he submitted a transfer request when he was told by the club they didn’t want to sell to try and force the move, for me that’s like your best mate shagging your mrs and then you have to take him for a pint and still be his mate. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Sounds about right shame your not his agent, I’m not as foolish as some might think sure we would miss him if we didn’t replace but with that sort of money I believe Brands will find someone younger and hopefully better. 

But what really gets to me is he submitted a transfer request when he was told by the club they didn’t want to sell to try and force the move, for me that’s like your best mate shagging your mrs and then you have to take him for a pint and still be his mate. 

I don’t remember seeing anywhere that he handed in a transfer request. I remember the club confirming he had asked to leave to join PSG but was told he could not. Both parties seemed to move on amicably. 

Never saw a thing that suggested a formal transfer request, or forcing a move. Happy to be proved wrong if it’s fact though. 

16 minutes ago, StevO said:

I don’t remember seeing anywhere that he handed in a transfer request. I remember the club confirming he had asked to leave to join PSG but was told he could not. Both parties seemed to move on amicably. 

Never saw a thing that suggested a formal transfer request, or forcing a move. Happy to be proved wrong if it’s fact though. 

He missed two games and wrote a letter asking to go. Which is basically the same as putting in a transfer request just without relinquishing your right to a loyalty bonus. Top bloke... 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

I'm unsure if you're just on a wind up now. Palf said he should be in the space behind him. 

Before Salah beats Martina, Gana should already be in the space that Salah ran into, goalside, blocking off a clear run into the box. 

No watched the video again... and he is in the space behind. He runs from edge of penalty area into the box to the space behind. Or am I seeing things?

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

He didn’t thought Palfy, this is just not true.

Unless I missed something?

19 minutes ago, StevO said:

He did Steve that’s not fake news. 

7 minutes ago, pete0 said:

He missed two games and wrote a letter asking to go. Which is basically the same as putting in a transfer request just without relinquishing your right to a loyalty bonus. Top bloke... 

Any chance you could link it? I only ask as I honestly missed that.

Just Google’s it and your right, he did. Apologies PeteO and Palfy.

10 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Any chance you could link it? I only ask as I honestly missed that.

Just Google’s it and your right, he did. Apologies PeteO and Palfy.

Shades of Lescott I lost respect for him when he did it, and that goes for Gana or any other player if you don’t want us then fuck you we don’t want you, or else your given the signal he’s bigger than the club. 

16 minutes ago, Shukes said:

No watched the video again... and he is in the space behind. He runs from edge of penalty area into the box to the space behind. Or am I seeing things?

https://imgshare.io/image/foto-no-exif.5gMwd

He keeps drifting towards the wrong side of Salah. He should be going towards his own box to block any potential crosses or runners. 

At the point when Salah gets past Martina Gana should be standing in the way. 

14 minutes ago, pete0 said:

https://imgshare.io/image/foto-no-exif.5gMwd

He keeps drifting towards the wrong side of Salah. He should be going towards his own box to block any potential crosses or runners. 

At the point when Salah gets past Martina Gana should be standing in the way. 

Was that discussed and them lines of his movement and what his movement should have been by someone else or you Pete. 

Noggs said he couldn’t of made that run or he would have left a player free for Salah to square it to, what player was that there’s no one near him. The Ganaretts need to take their rose tinted glasses off he does make costly mistakes, and the fact he wants to leave why would you want to sing his praises, if he was a union member he would be called a scab