IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

54 minutes ago, MikeO said:

In Feb 2018 he earned the right to a contract extension with us until 2022 and signed it (presumably) without anyone holding a gun to his head, we should hold him to it. No good selling our best players because "we'd be denying them Champs League"; we need to keep them so they can get a chance of CL with us. Don't want us to be a feeder club any more.

He's one of the main reasons we never got closer to champions league. 6 assists and 3 goals in three seasons isn'ttt good enough when you're meant to be the link between attack and defence. Nevermind how many we concede because of him as well. 

Looking across the whole league you'd struggle to find any CM with stats as bad as his. 

8 minutes ago, pete0 said:

He's one of the main reasons we never got closer to champions league. 6 assists and 3 goals in three seasons isn'tttt good enough when you're meant to be the link between attack and defence. Nevermind how many we concede because of him as well. 

Looking across the whole league you'd struggle to find any CM with stats as bad as his. 

Except that his role primarily is breaking up play. You’d struggle to find any DCM with stats as good as his. 

25 minutes ago, pete0 said:

He's one of the main reasons we never got closer to champions league. 6 assists and 3 goals in three seasons isn'tttt good enough when you're meant to be the link between attack and defence. Nevermind how many we concede because of him as well. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fI7zm7RXHs

44 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Your answer is in your own post though PeteO. 

And I quote PeteO, 07/06/2019.

link up between defence and attack.

This is suggesting he takes the ball from defence and moves it to attack.... which is what he does very well.

And yet again I will ask this and DEMAND an answer for just once, just this once... please someone!!!!!

If a player sets up a chance and the forward doesn’t score.... does this mean the person setting him up is useless? Because as previously posted... with evidence... Gana was amongst the top five in Europe.....that’s not just the premier league, but other countries as well, ( google Europe and you will see its larger than your home town). 

So Gana is actually creating a lot more than a player in his position is expected to. But if the chance isn’t put away.....?

You got it, it DOESNT go down as an assist. 

46 minutes ago, Matt said:

Except that his role primarily is breaking up play. You’d struggle to find any DCM with stats as good as his. 

He doesn't play DCM though. Schneiderlin did last season, Barry before, and Gomes this year. 

All he does is tackle a lot. We'd concede less if he takled half as much and just stayed in position. 

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

if he wants to go now is the best time.  we get max profit from the sale and can get a replacement now before preseason.  i love Gana but if he wants to go he has earned the right to.

I don’t know about earned the right you would expect players to honour their contract, but he’s already submitted one transfer request so it’s likely he will submit another, so he must be allowed to leave before it effects the harmony in the team if that’s his wish. 

And when one door closes another opens and sure with 35-40m we can do better. 

15 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I don’t know about earned the right you would expect players to honour their contract, but he’s already submitted one transfer request so it’s likely he will submit another, so he must be allowed to leave before it effects the harmony in the team if that’s his wish. 

That certainly happened after January didn't it, really knocked the harmony (not). "Player power" pisses me right off, if you sign a contract then 'king honour it as you would in any other profession.

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

That certainly happened after January didn't it, really knocked the harmony (not). "Player power" pisses me right off, if you sign a contract then 'king honour it as you would in any other profession.

In all fairness Mike we don’t know what was said behind closed doors to him, he may have been told if the right offer comes in for him next transfer window they wouldn’t stand in his way, which could be what gave him the impetus to play better second half of season than first. 

But as I said in my first post no one earns the right to renegade there contract. 

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

Your answer is in your own post though PeteO. 

And I quote PeteO, 07/06/2019.

link up between defence and attack.

This is suggesting he takes the ball from defence and moves it to attack.... which is what he does very well.

And yet again I will ask this and DEMAND an answer for just once, just this once... please someone!!!!!

If a player sets up a chance and the forward doesn’t score.... does this mean the person setting him up is useless? Because as previously posted... with evidence... Gana was amongst the top five in Europe.....that’s not just the premier league, but other countries as well, ( google Europe and you will see its larger than your home town). 

So Gana is actually creating a lot more than a player in his position is expected to. But if the chance isn’t put away.....?

You got it, it DOESNT go down as an assist. 

What chances has Gana put on a plate? 

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created

1 minute ago, pete0 said:

What chances has Gana put on a plate? 

Stats say he was in the top five in Europe for chances created? Errrr... not sure what else to say to be honest haha. 

No your right, that’s shit, sell him... actually, no, give him away, or swap him for a yellow grapefruit! 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Ahh didn’t realise he put in a transfer request!

Well if he wants out that much, then I would sell.

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

He doesn't play DCM though. Schneiderlin did last season, Barry before, and Gomes this year. 

All he does is tackle a lot. We'd concede less if he takled half as much and just stayed in position. 

Yes. Yes he does. DCM is his role. 

Hed have to tackle half as much of the others actually kept position and possession. That’s their job not his. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Stats say he was in the top five in Europe for chances created? Errrr... not sure what else to say to be honest haha. 

No your right, that’s shit, sell him... actually, no, give him away, or swap him for a yellow grapefruit! 

Premier league stats show he never made any that should have been scored. 

44 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yes. Yes he does. DCM is his role. 

Hed have to tackle half as much of the others actually kept position and possession. That’s their job not his. 

So what was Schneiderlin, Gomes and Barry's roles? Must be the only team in the league who play with two DMs. 

Silva even said after the Cardiff game Gana needs to create more. 

Well most of the games I saw him play in last season he was given the most freedom to get forward whether his partner was Gomes or Schneiderlin, even Silva was praising him for his new role of being more forward thinking but that’s not to say he didn’t have a role to play defensively because he did. 

34 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Premier league stats show he never made any that should have been scored. 

So what was Schneiderlin, Gomes and Barry's roles? Must be the only team in the league who play with two DMs. 

Silva even said after the Cardiff game Gana needs to create more. 

Posts like that show you have no comprehension for the game or facts

26 minutes ago, Matt said:

Silva even said after the Cardiff game Gana needs to create more

That was the game where I thought we may have something going on here, but he failed to replicate that ability to the same level in the rest of the games that season, all though occasionally he did show some glimpses, I also preferred him to be more forward of his midfield partner because when he had his one or two brain farts each game we had someone behind him to help mop it up which proved a lot less dangerous than when he was the last mid. 

But your right about Silva and the Cardiff game he did praise Gana about his more advanced role, like it was a new Gana we were seeing in a different role. 

9 hours ago, Palfy said:

That was the game where I thought we may have something going on here, but he failed to replicate that ability to the same level in the rest of the games that season, all though occasionally he did show some glimpses, I also preferred him to be more forward of his midfield partner because when he had his one or two brain farts each game we had someone behind him to help mop it up which proved a lot less dangerous than when he was the last mid. 

But your right about Silva and the Cardiff game he did praise Gana about his more advanced role, like it was a new Gana we were seeing in a different role. 

How did the quote say I said that then it was Pete?!

9 hours ago, StevO said:

Barry and Schneidelin, yes, both DMs. We played with Barry and McCarthy for long enough, again, both DMs. 

But Gomes isn’t. He sits further back on the pitch, but his role is not a defensive one. It’s a creative one. Haha often sits higher up, but that’s to press at the front as pressing is his strength and Marco wants that to be higher up the pitch. Gomes is more useful on the ball with players in front of him. One is creative and one is defensive, it’s just where Marco wants them to use their skills. It’s not like the old days where Carsley used to sit behind the midfield to clean up, it’s a much more proactive defensive tactic. But if Gana wins the ball back high up he then has to move the ball on to someone else, as that will often require a different skill set. Sometimes he tries things and it works, other times it doesn’t, but his role is just to get that ball back and give it to people like Gomes and Gylfi to do something a bit more creative with it.

Surely I'm not the only one who sees it this way?

Exactly. Playing DCM doesn’t mean sitting in front of the defence any more. With a high press, the defensive part of a DCM is much higher up. Just like a playmaker doesn’t have to be behind the striker like Gomes.