IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

• 3 weeks later...

So far I have saw three different sets of stats comparing them. Now are accurate.

How many times do you watch sky sports and see the half time stats.

Everton 3 on target. 5 off target.

Opposition goals = 4 saves.

Ignore most stats.

Gana has been good this season, but to be fair, whenever I have watched Chelsea.... kante seems a level above.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the player deemed most important in the league is 2nd to him and he's a central midfielder so I beg to differ, it's a very important attribute.

Defensive midfielder like Barry or Schneiderlin. Next in the list at CM is Henderson who plays in the most hard pressing team in the league.

Defensive midfielder like Barry or Schneiderlin. Next in the list at CM is Henderson who plays in the most hard pressing team in the league.

Kante plays beside Matic, Gueye plays beside Schneiderlin.

Kante and Gueye are the ball winning midfielders. Matic and Schneiderlin are the deeper sitting playmakers. Surely it's better to tackle the opposition higher up the field? Whatever you want to call it, there's certainly a place for a Kante/Gueye type player in the modern game.

I find your dislike for Gueye, Jagielka and, most baffling, Harry Kane very odd when you seem to rate players like O'Shea, Fletcher and Jesus Navas.

Kante plays beside Matic, Gueye plays beside Schneiderlin.

Kante and Gueye are the ball winning midfielders. Matic and Schneiderlin are the deeper sitting playmakers. Surely it's better to tackle the opposition higher up the field? Whatever you want to call it, there's certainly a place for a Kante/Gueye type player in the modern game.

I find your dislike for Gueye, Jagielka and, most baffling, Harry Kane very odd when you seem to rate players like O'Shea, Fletcher and Jesus Navas.

We looked much better without Gana, when Davies stepped in and made less tackles but offered much more all round.

Players without reputation, over ones the newspapers tell you are good. Shocker I've watched them, and been able to form my own opinion. They are better than what we've got. Why not tell me Teresa May is better than Corbyn whilst you're at it. Gana come in and his energy was a major positive at the start of the season, but he's more of a hindrance now. His tackles are unnecessary and lead to goals being conceded. Doesn't turn over the ball well, and worst of all has brain farts for breakfast. What has Jagielka done better than Weir, Watson, Lescott, and Yobo? Holgate come in and showed how little we have needed Jagielka. Fact is he's not fit to be captain, he's not competitive, he's not a leader, and if anything has held the club back.

Edited by pete0

Players without reputation, over ones the newspapers tell you are good. Shocker I've watched them, and been able to form my own opinion.

That's the worrying thing - what are you watching?

How you think Fletcher, O'Shea, Navas and Sagna can help us progress (maybe a few years ago) then won't have players like Kane and Gueye as good players... I don't understand. Jags has been excellent for us - I don't think anyone would claim he's been a world beater but he's consistently been one of our most important players for the past decade.

I don't read newspapers bar the articles linked to Everton through Newsnow - I just watch a hell of a lot of football and am fascinated by how you must judge a player. Each to their own anyway. I'm sure newspapers will say Ronaldo and Messi are pretty good so I'll agree with that too.

That's the worrying thing - what are you watching?

How you think Fletcher, O'Shea, Navas and Sagna can help us progress (maybe a few years ago) then won't have players like Kane and Gueye as good players... I don't understand. Jags has been excellent for us - I don't think anyone would claim he's been a world beater but he's consistently been one of our most important players for the past decade.

I don't read newspapers bar the articles linked to Everton through Newsnow - I just watch a hell of a lot of football and am fascinated by how you must judge a player. Each to their own anyway. I'm sure newspapers will say Ronaldo and Messi are pretty good so I'll agree with that too.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/john-oshea-reveals-regret-over-9502393.amp

I'll not bother to go through all the players, but here's an article on O'Shea

'The 35-year-old won five titles at Old Trafford in a collection of 15 trophies, but quit for Sunderland five years ago after more than 250 appearances.'

You don't win 5 league medals if you're no better than the likes of Jagielka. Maybe if he played for England you might have noticed how good he was.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/john-oshea-reveals-regret-over-9502393.amp

I'll not bother to go through all the players, but here's an article on O'Shea

'The 35-year-old won five titles at Old Trafford in a collection of 15 trophies, but quit for Sunderland five years ago after more than 250 appearances.'

You don't win 5 league medals if you're no better than the likes of Jagielka. Maybe if he played for England you might have noticed how good he was.

O'Shea was a very good, solid player for Man U - another one of them who Sir Alex kept and played when many wrote him off like Fletcher, Brown, Evans, Gibson, etc. You don't need to tell me that but what you don't seem to understand is that time has taken its toll on him and to sign him now is just laughable - he's been way past his best for at least 3 seasons. If you were suggesting Jonny Evans then you may have a point but there is nothing O'Shea can offer Everton now.

I'm just laughing at this.... it's all very well coming out with suggestions from the left field but ffs.

John oshea is another Alex Ferguson player in the mould of Phil Neville and wes Brown, jobbers who can cover a few positions and will happily sit on the bench to do a job. Sylvestre was another...

Winning medals for United as a squad player does not mean you would Be a first teamer elsewhere.

I'm just laughing at this.... it's all very well coming out with suggestions from the left field but ffs.

John oshea is another Alex Ferguson player in the mould of Phil Neville and wes Brown, jobbers who can cover a few positions and will happily sit on the bench to do a job. Sylvestre was another...

Winning medals for United as a squad player does not mean you would Be a first teamer elsewhere.

spot on. Gana is a great player, great season for his first year with us. I think he will have a stand out year next year as he will be fully integrated and knows what koeman wants. He davies and schneiderlin make a fantastic midfield.

O'Shea was a very good, solid player for Man U - another one of them who Sir Alex kept and played when many wrote him off like Fletcher, Brown, Evans, Gibson, etc. You don't need to tell me that but what you don't seem to understand is that time has taken its toll on him and to sign him now is just laughable - he's been way past his best for at least 3 seasons. If you were suggesting Jonny Evans then you may have a point but there is nothing O'Shea can offer Everton now.

I've said many a time we should sign Evans. O'Shea played 28 games this season. Got more quality in him than Jagielka, whose pace was a big asset back in his day.

I've said many a time we should sign Evans. O'Shea played 28 games this season. Got more quality in him than Jagielka, whose pace was a big asset back in his day.

I don't think O'Shea would offer more than Jags but you clearly do... regardless of this, John O'Shea is not the type of player we need to sign. Hal Robson-Kanu probably would have offered more this season than Kone - it doesn't mean that we should go out and sign him.

Are you PeteO'Shea? I did wonder what the O stood for...

Anyway this is a Gana thread. He's had an excellent first, there's room for improvement but I think he'll be a really important part of our progression. He seems really popular with the other players too.

What have you been smoking PeteO?

The same stuff that made him say that Steven Gerrard wasn't good at shooting.

I did have a bewildered frown when I read that.... unfortunately/fortunately I encountered this video the other day....

Hate Liverpool and Gerrard but.... what a striker of a football.

https://youtu.be/pCzE8ejuvW8

Feel free to delete the video.... personally I thought it was great to watch a ball getting leathered from so close up.

Edited by Hafnia

The same stuff that made him say that Steven Gerrard wasn't good at shooting.

I did have a bewildered frown when I read that.... unfortunately/fortunately I encountered this video the other day....

Hate Liverpool and Gerrard but.... what a striker of a football.

https://youtu.be/pCzE8ejuvW8

Feel free to delete the video.... personally I thought it was great to watch a ball getting leathered from so close up.

Yea, it looks good on MOTD. I know Liverpool season ticket holders who would tell you otherwise on Mr Hollywood. They come off now and again, but overall, shooting from distance that often is more wasteful than helpful.

Yea, it looks good on MOTD. I know Liverpool season ticket holders who would tell you otherwise on Mr Hollywood. They come off now and again, but overall, shooting from distance that often is more wasteful than helpful.

Hmmm. Yeah I'm sure.... in sure they were fuming when he rattled that one in against west ham in the fa cup final... the exocet that rescued the game against Olympiakos that led to them winning the champions league.

Pete.... I hate the fact that he had a great shot - were you not sick of it against us?