IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

I watched the game the other day and to be honest he was pretty poor. The one thing he gets against the lesser teams is space - for his 3 goals he has been unmarked, yes some may say due to movement or whatever but not for me.... they have been gifts but to be fair he has put them away without flinching which is a gift of his.

I remain of the opinion that against better sides he will find things a lot tougher.

BTW.... I still cant believe Chelsea sold Matic. He has single handedly changed their side - Pogba has all the support he needs now (get on him for POTY - should get good odds)

Surely you would expect a striker to find it tougher against better sides?

Against Swansea he did exactly what he was bought for. He was tightly marked for 70 mins, didn't necessarily do much but also didn't do much wrong either. When Swansea tried to open up and get a goal bacame he gets himself in space and kills the game and then plays a nice layoff for the 4th goal as well. Last year, even with Ibra, they couldn't kill games off and they bought Lukaku for that reason.

In contrast at Chelsea, Morata has missed 2 big chances in important games, real sitters. I think he looks more of a handful generally but you need someone to put the ball in the back of the net.

Surely you would expect a striker to find it tougher against better sides?

Against Swansea he did exactly what he was bought for. He was tightly marked for 70 mins, didn't necessarily do much but also didn't do much wrong either. When Swansea tried to open up and get a goal bacame he gets himself in space and kills the game and then plays a nice layoff for the 4th goal as well. Last year, even with Ibra, they couldn't kill games off and they bought Lukaku for that reason.

In contrast at Chelsea, Morata has missed 2 big chances in important games, real sitters. I think he looks more of a handful generally but you need someone to put the ball in the back of the net.

this isn't a point that has been lost on a fair few.... we know he finishes if you get the ball to him in space - that's what he does.

In the past 2 matches Thierry Henry has been pretty direct in stating that the lad has to do more if he is gonna be the player he thinks.

His movement had been widely canned as has his ball retention. You don't spend £95m on a striker to stand in space against a lapse defence.... you spend that on a player who bullies better defenders also.

I think Morata will be a quality signing for Chelsea - different to Lukaku. His all round game is on a different level.

this isn't a point that has been lost on a fair few.... we know he finishes if you get the ball to him in space - that's what he does.

In the past 2 matches Thierry Henry has been pretty direct in stating that the lad has to do more if he is gonna be the player he thinks.

His movement had been widely canned as has his ball retention. You don't spend £95m on a striker to stand in space against a lapse defence.... you spend that on a player who bullies better defenders also.

I think Morata will be a quality signing for Chelsea - different to Lukaku. His all round game is on a different level.

I don't think it's lost on anyone. I think people accept that and work towards creating that space for him.

I thought his movement was fine, seen some chirp up about it in the Swansea game, but there was plenty of times he was offering himself either back to goal, or a round the corner ball for him to roll the defender. He isn't Suarez and some people need to accept that he is extremely good at what he does and not necessarily what people want him to be.

I'm sure Morata will be a good signing for Chelsea but he has missed 2 chances from 6 yards out. If that was Lukaku you would have slaughtered him.

We all know Lukaku will go through a quiet spell and people will jump on him again but he will come out the other side scoring for fun afterwards. Thats just him.

You must have watched a different game than me. I watched our midfield get dominated by 10 men, and some of our fans even said it was that bad City could have easily put 5 past us.

For once I agree haha.

Our midfield were overrun and Gana seemed to be the wrong side and chasing too much.

Lost count of the number of times he stole the ball off their players.... that's his job.

Unfortunately we can't clone him so he has to suffer the consequences of team mates not being as good.

Stats say he made 2 interceptions, 2 successful takles, 1 clearance, zero blocks, and lost 2 takles.

Schneiderlin made 1 takle, 1 block, and zero for the rest.

I agree with what you said in the match that, we were lucky they never scored more.

He conceded three free kicks just outside the area from missed timed tackles, imo that is poor, I don't remember him making loads of tackles and winning the ball and playing the ball out to set us off going forward, I thought he was less than average and would have given him no more than a 4/10 5 at best.

He conceded three free kicks just outside the area from missed timed tackles, imo that is poor, I don't remember him making loads of tackles and winning the ball and playing the ball out to set us off going forward, I thought he was less than average and would have given him no more than a 4/10 5 at best.

I can only remember two (not saying there werent 3) but they were stupid fouls. I thought he wasnt really in the game until the second half because he was man marking Silva/De Bruyne but then we saw him do much more in that second half, stopping them having too much time and space in the middle, plus he also released a decent through ball which isnt like him!

I really struggle with how Gana is so highly rated by most people who care to vote on man of match, currently he is not only our best midfielder in the team he's coming out as our best player.

I really want to see in him what others see, but as much as I try I can't, he just doesn't do it for me, yes he's got an engine on him and he's got all the gears but he lacks any ideas, he's constantly getting caught on the wrong side of the player he's marking, always conceding fouls in dangerous areas, his vision when in possession of the ball isn't more than average as his passing.

I think his willingness to run all day and hassle gets him noticed, but I want a lot more than that from our supposedly best midfielder, I want an Arteta figure he did everything.

I honestly believe he wouldn't make the team of any of the six who finished above us last season, and even the bench with some of them.

Sorry lads that how I see it, we need a lot better if we want to keep progressing, put it this way I would pick Davies over him every time.

I think Gana does a lot of work that he doesn't receive credit for.

Those little foot ins, that break up play seem to go unotticed, or fans don't realise how important they are.

He is also our link between defence and attack. He gets so many touches on the ball due to either receiving the ball, or making a tackle, and turning that into possession up the field for us.

Ok so he doesn't play defence splitting through balls, but not many do these days. What he does do, is receive the ball, turn and make a simple forward possession keeping pass. It seems easy, but so many top players struggle with it.

Why is he even being criticised for lacking certain attacking abilities when that isn't his job?! It's like criticising Pickford for not scoring enough goals.

He should be able to make a forward pass.

Schneiderlin is further back so Gana has more responsibility going forward.