IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

Still think he loses the ball too much in dangerous positions.

He is also excellent though as daft as that sounds.

I know exactly what you mean Pad.

First five minutes he lost the ball just on the edge of our area and Morgan saves him.

But then a few minutes later he burst through and nearly scored.

Excellent player and glad we took the gamble on him.

I know exactly what you mean Pad.

First five minutes he lost the ball just on the edge of our area and Morgan saves him.

But then a few minutes later he burst through and nearly scored.

Excellent player and glad we took the gamble on him.

I think having Schneiderlin around is going to let us see a different Gana tbh. Yesterday he was right up the pitch more than he's ever been, but while Barry was his partner he couldn't do that because he had to be the legs. He started out life as a number 10 so he'll feel comfortable up the pitch. But at the same time, he can slot in further back while Schneiderlin and Davies are up the pitch. And Davies can do the same for the other two. It's quite exciting watching them all in tandem tbh.

I think we've got a perfect three in Schneiderlin, Gana, Davies, with McCarthy, Besic and Barry to rotate in as needed.

I think what we've seen the last few games is Koeman trying to fit Gana, Schneiderlin, Davies and Barkley into the same team. Shape wise I don't feel it's necessarily worked but these players are that good and energetic that we've still got the results. Personally I'd love to see this vs Spurs.

Joel.

Holgate. Williams. Mori.

Coleman. Baines.

Schneiderlin. Gana.

Barkley. Davies.

Lukaku.

I see it as more of a 3-4-2-1 with Baines and Coleman being our width rather than Barkley or Lookman/Mirallas starting out there. I've not got a clue if it would work but for me it could be the formula against the teams above us certainly away from home. We could dominate possession and set the tempo without being overrun at the back which can happen with the flat back 4 when Coleman/Baines attack.

Still think he loses the ball too much in dangerous positions.

He is also excellent though as daft as that sounds.

He did it again yesterday. About 25 yards out, took a massive touch and gifted it to a Sunderland player. He won it back with 5 seconds and had a very good game but he does have it in him.

He did it again yesterday. About 25 yards out, took a massive touch and gifted it to a Sunderland player. He won it back with 5 seconds and had a very good game but he does have it in him.

He does it every game mate, my hearts inmy mouth every time he has it in that area and he's being closed down.

As you said though, he was excellent.

Hasn't looked the same since returning from the ACON, the midfield dynamic has altered and he's still trying to do a lot of the work he was doing earlier in the season. Needs to trust his fellow midfielders and allow them to get on with the job and just do his role. (that which is expected now, not what was required before)

Once we get settled (over to you Ron) the occasional panic and our players marking our players will be relieved, it's going to take time and importantly an easy to hit option forward to let the midfield learn to reset and close down/out the oppositions.

Not thrown to the wolves today, not helped with selection and setup. Will come good.

• 2 weeks later...

If we can solve McCarthy's fitness problems I'd cash in on Gana. He's useful and been a great example of what Koeman wants fitness wise, but positionally he's not the Barry replacement I was hoping for. As a DM he lacks vision in his passing often not seeing the opposition and plays the ball straight to them, which is odd considering how many interceptions Gana nabs himself.

Centre mid I'd play Davies or McCarthy over him in most games. Gana doesn't have that class above, he's all heart Like Mascherano. Makes sense to cash in when the price is high before his faults are highlighted.

If we can solve McCarthy's fitness problems I'd cash in on Gana. He's useful and been a great example of what Koeman wants fitness wise, but positionally he's not the Barry replacement I was hoping for. As a DM he lacks vision in his passing often not seeing the opposition and plays the ball straight to them, which is odd considering how many interceptions Gana nabs himself.

Centre mid I'd play Davies or McCarthy over him in most games. Gana doesn't have that class above, he's all heart Like Mascherano. Makes sense to cash in when the price is high before his faults are highlighted.

I'd be selling McCarthy before Gana. He doesn't need to be world class to do his job, he just needs to break up play, protect the defence and free up Morgan and the others which he does very well.

I'd be selling McCarthy before Gana. He doesn't need to be world class to do his job, he just needs to break up play, protect the defence and free up Morgan and the others which he does very well.

We have Schneiderlin deeper though. I'd say McCarthy breaks down play just as well, but links up better going forward.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no way he would be put up for Sale - as said he is our kante you need that type of player in the formation we play. When allowed he can pass it well he played further forward a few games and done well kipped in with a goal aswell. McCarhy is gone, outside of injuries what Koeman said after his latest injury about being 2 in and having another pop at him i think his patience has gone, sadly as the lad is a smashing player.