IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

Funny no one seems to mind when he does it. My hearts in my mouth every time he has the ball and is closed down. He'll cost us goals this season I absolutely guarantee it.

I mind it but I think he should be allowed a little bit of leeway seeing as he's pretty much the only player we have that puts energy into everything he does, so it wouldn't exactly be a surprise if he gets a bit physically and mentally tired and gives the ball away a few times. Also, you're guaranteed that if and when he does give the ball away he'll work his arse off to get the ball right back. Unlike other players we have, mentioning no names.

I mind it but I think he should be allowed a little bit of leeway seeing as he's pretty much the only player we have that puts energy into everything he does, so it wouldn't exactly be a surprise if he gets a bit physically and mentally tired and gives the ball away a few times. Also, you're guaranteed that if and when he does give the ball away he'll work his arse off to get the ball right back. Unlike other players we have, mentioning no names.

I'm not knocking him he's been great but he needs to learn when to get rid of it rather than trying a Cruyf turn slipping over and letting them in 1 on 1.

I'm not knocking him he's been great but he needs to learn when to get rid of it rather than trying a Cruyf turn slipping over and letting them in 1 on 1.

No doubt about it. I think that will stop when there's less pressure on him to be our everything in terms of energy though. He's in a new team and he's being thrust into being our most important player straight away.

• 1 month later...

Not starting tonight for Senegal. Strange decision, but im happy with it! Cost them too, losing 1-0 early first half.

I posted in the general football thread. they already advanced, no use getting their stars players injured, they fielded a weakened side for this "throw away" match.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Oh thought this was the quarters match! So he's got 1-3 games after this one depending on them progressing?

Thought it was the quarters also so was really happy to see them losing (though it was a draw in the end). As has been said we've done well without him but I'd still rather have him back, midfield options with the emergence of Davies and Schneiderlin signing are extremely exciting.

He's going to have to earn his place. No way should it be automatic. We've done better without him playing.

Earn his place? He's been player of the season without a doubt, the place is his Davies is just keeping it warm. Same with Barry for schneiderlin. Davies can take barkley a place sure but gana has been our best player. I don't want him on the bench.

Earn his place? He's been player of the season without a doubt, the place is his Davies is just keeping it warm. Same with Barry for schneiderlin. Davies can take barkley a place sure but gana has been our best player. I don't want him on the bench.

he has been, but in his absence we've won 5 from 7, I think. You don't change a winning side!

Mirallas doesn't deserve to be dropped though and if you put Davies into that position it ruins what has been working well, especially as we lose Mirallas' pace.

Gana has to warm the bench until someone deserves to be dropped. Same with Schneiderlin and McCarthy. Someone will get injured sooner or later and Barry can play twice a week (if we have to) so they will get their chance.

Davies hasn't played ten for the first team, for the U23s doesnt Dowell pretty much own that position? So I'm not seeing him playing there either.

why we would want him up there?

His tenacity and running is much better further back, breaking up play and then quick in transition.

Any two of Gana, Schneiderlin and Davies is fine with me.

Mirallas has been average all season, one match doesn't make a campaign. He's a passer Steve and links up well, he would give the centre mids a hell of a time and would feed the wingbacks and Lukaku a lot of balls to shoot/attack. Same as Barkley. Just tell Ross to shoot more. It's completely do able. Mirallas will go hiding now anyway after his one good match. We'll see him good again in 3 matches.

Mirallas has been average all season, one match doesn't make a campaign. He's a passer Steve and links up well, he would give the centre mids a hell of a time and would feed the wingbacks and Lukaku a lot of balls to shoot/attack. Same as Barkley. Just tell Ross to shoot more. It's completely do able. Mirallas will go hiding now anyway after his one good match. We'll see him good again in 3 matches.

Mirallas is just starting to hit form. Yet you want to drop him to bring Gana back in and push the 18 year old forward. Bizarre.

Mirallas doesn't deserve to be dropped though and if you put Davies into that position it ruins what has been working well, especially as we lose Mirallas' pace.

Gana has to warm the bench until someone deserves to be dropped. Same with Schneiderlin and McCarthy. Someone will get injured sooner or later and Barry can play twice a week (if we have to) so they will get their chance.

Spot on this. Nobody deserves dropping from the last two games. Simple as that.

Gana stuck out because he was a new signing and we were playing extremely ordinary. The novelty will rub off and he'll be expected to play at that level ever week (which he won't! His form had dipped just before he went off anyway). Players who were in poor form will start to gain form and as always forward players generally get more recognition than defensive players when a team is playing well. It spoke a thousand words how bad we were that a DM was our star player.