IGNORED

Lamine Kone

i've done this many times on the forum in the last couple months.

gana, barry, Gibson, Davies, Cleverley, Besic. not to mention the captain of our u-23, Ryan Ledson who's been playing very well this year.

I haven't asked ;)

Gibson sounds like he could be being moved on? Besic is turning into Saha. Clevs still has better games in him but I don't see him as a CM at all, nor Davies.

As true CM's go, Gana Barry and Besic are the only ones for me. Barry (although currently defying his age) isn't going to last forever and is 1 big injury away from retirement. Besic is never fit.

So options are slim for me.

gana, barry, Gibson, Davies, Cleverley, Besic. not to mention the captain of our u-23, Ryan Ledson who's been playing very well this year.

New, old, injury / drink-driving prone, untested, decent (but not in the same league), injury prone.

Edited by Matt

I haven't asked ;)

Gibson sounds like he could be being moved on? Besic is turning into Saha. Clevs still has better games in him but I don't see him as a CM at all, nor Davies.

As true CM's go, Gana Barry and Besic are the only ones for me. Barry (although currently defying his age) isn't going to last forever and is 1 big injury away from retirement. Besic is never fit.

So options are slim for me.

ok so in reality i think we only need 4 of them (if fit and healthy). Gana Barry Davies Cleverley Besic would be fine with me. I like Davies a lot and would like to see him get more time.

Were do you see Davies playing J?

Barry's career is almost over, Gibson is irrelevant,. Besic is always (and currently) injured, Cleverly isn't a CDM, Davies isn't a CDM. McCarthy is currently a very important depth piece imo.

ok so in reality i think we only need 4 of them (if fit and healthy). Gana Barry Davies Cleverley Besic would be fine with me. I like Davies a lot and would like to see him get more time.

Were do you see Davies playing J?

I think Davies is much suited for playing higher up the pitch. But more central, so Barley's role.

He's so calm and composed, he could actually (to an extent) be an alternative to Barkley. Runs well, exceptional passer, can hustle players, is a VERY good reader of the game. Could be a Mata'like player (the comparisons are ridiculous at this stage) for us, as he has a very similar skill set. Tom actually works harder. Natural ability in abundance. Just nowhere near that level yet.

Barry's career is almost over, Gibson is irrelevant,. Besic is always (and currently) injured, Cleverly isn't a CDM, Davies isn't a CDM. McCarthy is currently a very important depth piece imo.

not sure if you've watched the matches, his career is not over, he's been the best player for us.

I think Davies is much suited for playing higher up the pitch. But more central, so Barley's role.

He's so calm and composed, he could actually (to an extent) be an alternative to Barkley. Runs well, exceptional passer, can hustle players, is a VERY good reader of the game. Could be a Mata'like player (the comparisons are ridiculous at this stage) for us, as he has a very similar skill set. Tom actually works harder. Natural ability in abundance. Just nowhere near that level yet.

ok, no dice for dowell then? i know RM likes him a lot but of the 2 davies looks better to me as well.

to all the other comments about my thoughts on our centre mids. look i'm not on here to be popular, i think we have a glut of centre mids, i'd love to get rid of all of them except davies, gana, barry and buy a couple more. that's where i'm at.

straight swap in my book.

If McCarthy recovers his form and gets over what has slowed him up then he's a good DM. He's an upgrade on Cattermole for them - McCarthy plus Cattermole in midfield is an ideal Davie Moyes midfield pair.

They will be desperate to get McCarthy.

I've watched the matches, I'm just also aware that 34 year olds don't tend to have many years left. I'm not downing Barry's current contributions, just saying that he shouldn't be reason to avoid solid CDM signings. He won't be here forever. Seems obvious tbh.

Edited by Matt Tiger

I've watched the matches, I'm just also aware that 34 year olds don't tend to have many years left. I'm not downing Barry's current contributions, just saying that he shouldn't be reason to avoid solid CDM signings. He won't be here forever. Seems obvious tbh.

distin played till 38. as has been mentioned in the west brom MOTM thread, barry doesn't rely on pace, energy, fitness, etc. he relies on vision which doesn't change with age (see ryan giggs). with Gana in there as his partner he could play for a good few more years if he stays healthy.

distin played till 38. as has been mentioned in the west brom MOTM thread, barry doesn't rely on pace, energy, fitness, etc. he relies on vision which doesn't change with age (see ryan giggs). with Gana in there as his partner he could play for a good few more years if he stays healthy.

and that's why McCarthy is important until we have further depth.

and that's why McCarthy is important until we have further depth.

no matt, mccarthy doesn't rely on his vision, he has none. he relies on pace, energy, and running. of which he's second rate now after all those injuries. he's the exact opposite of Barry. he can't attack, he plays 5 yard sideways and backwards passes, he doesn't thread through balls to attackers. he's a destroyer but he's now a damaged destroyer.

he's cover for gana.

Edited by markjazzbassist

no matt, mccarthy doesn't rely on his vision, he has none. he relies on pace, energy, and running. of which he's second rate now after all those injuries. he's the exact opposite of Barry. he can't attack, he plays 5 yard sideways and backwards passes, he doesn't thread through balls to attackers. he's a destroyer but he's now a damaged destroyer.

he's cover for gana.

You're missing the point - until there is a better replacement, we need him for depth.

You're missing the point - until there is a better replacement, we need him for depth.

we have depth, gibson. he's fit and healthy. also davies. those are the depth for barry. i'm not missing the point. i want rid of all these mid table players. i only want quality players and youngsters from the academy. nothing would make me happier than seeing gibson mccarthy besic cleverley all sold and we buy 2 centre mids to compete with Barry and Gana. the ones we have now (bar davies) are shit.

we have depth, gibson. he's fit and healthy. also davies. those are the depth for barry. i'm not missing the point. i want rid of all these mid table players. i only want quality players and youngsters from the academy. nothing would make me happier than seeing gibson mccarthy besic cleverley all sold and we buy 2 centre mids to compete with Barry and Gana. the ones we have now (bar davies) are shit.

Gibons - now rumoured to go. "fit", but likely to be injured again after 2-3 games. He's a good player when fit but hugely unreliable

Davies - Still young and untested. Could do the job, could turn out to be the next Rodwell - who knows.

Cleverley - decent but not the same since his injury.

Besic - out for at least 6 months

Leaves us with 3 fit CM at this moment in time; Barry, Gana and McCarthy. You want to sell 1 of our fit CMs?

I agree with clearance in general, but not this summer. Gibson won't hurt us in going - he never plays. McCarthy does play for us.

We need to concentrate on striker and GK, rumours of RB and CB to be improved upon. If you sell these "deadwood", you're expecting 6 signings to address all those positions?

By the way, why are we talking CM here :lol:

Edited by Matt

Gibons - now rumoured to go. "fit", but likely to be injured again after 2-3 games. He's a good player when fit but hugely unreliable

Davies - Still young and untested. Could do the job, could turn out to be the next Rodwell - who knows.

Cleverley - decent but not the same since his injury.

Besic - out for at least 6 months

Leaves us with 3 fit CM at this moment in time; Barry, Gana and McCarthy. You want to sell 1 of our fit CMs?

I agree with clearance in general, but not this summer. Gibson won't hurt us in going - he never plays. McCarthy does play for us.

We need to concentrate on striker and GK, rumours of RB and CB to be improved upon. If you sell these "deadwood", you're expecting 6 signings to address all those positions?

By the way, why are we talking CM here :lol:

yes papa steve would be so proud of us ;)

no i don't think we need 6 cm. i think sell all except barry gana davies. buy 2. that gives us 4 and a youngster. one destroyer who can cover for gana, one "vision" cm like barry who can tackle and defend if need be, but is able to play through balls and start the attacks.

honestly i would have loved nothing more than walsh and koeman just clearing the place out of everyone that isn't in there plans, buy a bunch of players. it would be a rough year probably finish 11th again, but at least it wouldn't be this prolonged process over 3 seasons. plus the next year they'd be kicking ass cause they'd have that continuity then. i'm not sentimental though.

Edited by markjazzbassist

yes papa steve would be so proud of us ;)

no i don't think we need 6 cm. i think sell all except barry gana davies. buy 2. that gives us 4 and a youngster. one destroyer who can cover for gana, one "vision" cm like barry who can tackle and defend if need be, but is able to play through balls and start the attacks.

honestly i would have loved nothing more than walsh and koeman just clearing the place out of everyone that isn't in there plans, buy a bunch of players. it would be a rough year probably finish 11th again, but at least it wouldn't be this prolonged process over 3 seasons. plus the next year they'd be kicking ass cause they'd have that continuity then. i'm not sentimental though.

Massive change is dangerous, it can deal irreparable damage to team morale. I agree with the approach (maybe not the method of how it's been done) of getting rid of the real weaker candidates but keeping tried and tested players at least one more window.

Massive change is dangerous, it can deal irreparable damage to team morale. I agree with the approach (maybe not the method of how it's been done) of getting rid of the real weaker candidates but keeping tried and tested players at least one more window.

yeah, i get that method too. it can be difficult though when you've had 3 managers in 5 years though!

Gibson, fit?! Get real. The lad missed the first game of the season at least because HE WAS INJURED. Again. No idea why he missed the WBA game but I'd hazard a guess that HE WAS INJURED.

Yup, this... Even if he is fit right now, he hasn't show he can be relied upon on or off the pitch regardless, and will likely not be fit soon. Get rid of him if anyone will have him; I think factoring him into our plans or using him as rationale for not signing a player or not letting a player go is completely mental.

I'd love to have Kone. Our back line will be properly destructive with both him and Williams available to us.

If we could get Schneiderlin in then I'd be happy to let McCarthy (and Gibson) go. Barry, Gueye, Cleverley, Davies and Schneiderlin for generally 2 positions would leave us very strong - it's a shame Besic is crocked as he could ease the burden on Gueye - maybe we need cover for Besic too.

I think Kone will be a 31st Aug deal which may bring Chelsea in for him if they can't get their targets in.