IGNORED

Chelsea (Away) Saturday November 5th

markjazzbassist

Everytime we get the ball, they close down every available option, so we have nowhere to go. When they have the ball, we sit in two static banks and they just pass through us. Koeman is playing out of date football and we will go nowhere sticking with it.

I haven't seen the game but when the opposition have the ball, if we are falling back in two static banks, no pressing, then that's exactly how we played under Martinez.

Let's be honest, Chelsea were immense. Everything about their play today was on point.

At the same time, we set up to allow them to be at their best. And us at our worse.

Why we set up so self defeating is beyond my knowledge. I've no idea what the hope was here. No idea what Koeman was hoping to achieve.

I can't help but feel that Koeman has tinkered one too many times and done it when he didn't need too. He's defeating himself more than anything. I think it goes back to the Norwich cup game.

Tonight was embarrassing for Everton. I put this one purely on Koeman...and it's very rare that I'll only feel that the manager is responsible.

Koeman has (before tonight!) Got the defence sorted. He now needs to trust the rest and start playing more expansive football.

I haven't seen the game but when the opposition have the ball, if we are falling back in two static banks, no pressing, then that's exactly how we played under Martinez.

Yep. And unless you completely park the bus and set up to get a draw, teams worked out how to play through two static lines years ago.

Admittedly, Chelsea played well, but we got it all wrong: wrong formation, wrong strategy, pointless substitutions. I had no sense whatsoever that we knew what to do.

And it's not just this game. Until this season, we were moving toward being a younger team. Barkley was given his chance. Stones was given his chance. Others were given the opportunity to play. This season? The age of the team has gone up considerably and we, and heaven knows why, decided that it's better to have older players. This is draining the hope out of me, to be honest. Koeman is playing favourites, especially in goal, and young players are not getting a serious look-in. For all the investments we've made in youth and youth facilities, what chances are they being given?

So where do we go from here? (1) Accept the fact that we're sixth in the league, because we played lesser teams early. The rest of this calendar year will be a struggle. Let's get real. (2) Get back to the strategy of bringing through youngsters. It's a good approach and not one to be rejected. Make Joel #1, make Gerry a starter, bring in Davies and Calvert-Lewin, and play more young players in cup games. (3) Do something - new assistant maybe? - to get our strategy right. We can't play as gormlessly as this. When I saw the starting formation, I changed my prediction to a loss - it was that obvious. (4) Use this as a building season. Don't make panic buys, but make all decisions with next season in mind. Set specific goals and be sure to make them. If Koeman fails to meet these goals, seriously consider the possibility that he's not the right person at the club. (5) Koeman must stop alienating players by making mean-spirited comments about them publicly. If you have something negative to say, say it behind closed doors.

Honestly, Chelsea took their foot off the pedal in the final quarter otherwise they could have racked up the score. This was perhaps the most humiliating part of the game.

I'll be honest I was very surprised how well we started the season. On paper the new signings didn't look fantastic. I think the last few weeks has highlighted that Koeman isn't a fantastic manager. He messes about with the team to much. Changes formations etc etc. The introduction of Cleverley has raised my eyebrows the most. He seems to have a thing for him and he's just not good enough.

We've now seen the reason why Stekelenberg played second fiddle at Fulham & Southampton he's also not good enough.

I think we'll finish mid table, maybe 8th but for me that's just not good enough. I still have major reservations about Moshiri too. Right now I'm very uninterested in Everton it's a small part of my life at the moment & that reflects the dross we are seeing. Stemming from an awful couple of years under Martinez

I don't think he is playing favourites.

I think our best players are playing.

Steks is better than Robles.

Gerry is a luxury player.

We don't have anyone else to play upfront other than kids.

I agree he should be giving the young lads more opportunities, but the main issue is our negative tactics.

At times last season we looked like we could score five. This season. We struggle to create five chances a match.

We need to be more positive and press teams.

I don't think he is playing favourites.

I think our best players are playing.

Steks is better than Robles.

Gerry is a luxury player.

We don't have anyone else to play upfront other than kids.

I agree he should be giving the young lads more opportunities, but the main issue is our negative tactics.

At times last season we looked like we could score five. This season. We struggle to create five chances a match.

We need to be more positive and press teams.

McCarthy is a better player than Cleverley. It seems like Koeman made a lot of snap decisions on players in the summer and is sticking to them regardless.

I'll just put it out there that Cleverley, and Oviedo for that matter, did not start any of the first five games.

I agree entirely about the pressing though. It's a massive bugbear I have with the way we play.

Edited by nogs

Chelsea made us look what we are poor six at the back with five in the middle and three up front we still would been hammered because to many of the team aren't good enough for this league we need to spend some serious money or we're finish bottom half of the league for many years to come

Nogs McCarthy is injured so he couldn't play gana wasn't able to play that is why Cleverley was in Baines is injured that's why Oviedo played please put it out there who you would have put in those two positions

Id start Davies instead of Cleverley any day. We also had a young lad called Galloway did well at left back covering for Baines last season, remember him?

Right Davies fair enough yes I remember Galloway looked like a great prospect but you couldn't of picked him he's out on loan so your next choice please

But it's valid to ask why Galloway is not in contention? In other words, why did we send him out on loan for the season? The answer is, sadly, that Koeman does not trust youngsters. His approach is to use older players to make short-term progress, and I disagree with this strategy.

But it's valid to ask why Galloway is not in contention? In other words, why did we send him out on loan for the season? The answer is, sadly, that Koeman does not trust youngsters. His approach is to use older players to make short-term progress, and I disagree with this strategy.

Exactly. He's also got another left back, Garbutt, out on loan. He's not had a look at either. Oviedo is no where near good enough.

I had grandchildren in the house for this one (two and a half and nine months) along with their mum so was unable to watch 100% or vent my feelings openly (angry granddad's not a good look).

Koeman got his tactics completely wrong, Chelsea scoring early, and playing as well as they did, gave us no chance. We were as much under the cosh at City but the fact we held out for so long was the difference, once Chelsea scored their already sky-high confidence was boosted and the flood-gates opened.

Chelsea were superb though, I think they'll win the league.

Maybe not but today that was the best that was available which is pretty sad really but reality, we ain't got a good enough squad to finish any where near top six

If we get game tactics right, there's no reason why we can't finish in the top six. To get into the top three, however, we need a stronger squad. IMO, the best way to do that is through a youth strategy, because we'll never be able to compete funds-wise. As with almost everything competitive (including business), it's all about strategy, tactics, and executing on them. This is what needs sorting the most urgently.