IGNORED

Bournemouth (Home) Saturday February 4th

markjazzbassist

That was a really fucked up game.

Despite us pulling 3 clear they were always still in the game and as soon as we dropped our levels they were right back in it and without Joel we might have lost.

Going to a back 5 was the right call late in the game and once we did that they didn't look a threat (albeit they did score a goal which shouldn't have stood).

Lukaku and Joel MOTM.

Mori was terrible until we went 3 at the back.

Nuts game by the sound of if!

I worry about this letting teams back in though. Where is that coming from?

Is it Barry's lack of legs after and hour? Something else?

I think Barry had something to do with it. Admittedly didn't pay enough attention to the bench ( I missed Rom's opener then got swept away by the craziness) but thought it was time to see Gana if he was available. But perhaps he wasn't? We made all subs anyway to deal with their fightback. When Bournemouth were on the up I was asking who are the leaders on this team? I've been asking that for years because we usually look soft in those situations. Thankfully we now have a manager that doesn't just ask questions internally, he makes decisions. He influenced proceedings and the players responded.

That was a really fucked up game.

Despite us pulling 3 clear they were always still in the game and as soon as we dropped our levels they were right back in it and without Joel we might have lost.

Going to a back 5 was the right call late in the game and once we did that they didn't look a threat (albeit they did score a goal which shouldn't have stood).

Lukaku and Joel MOTM.

Mori was terrible until we went 3 at the back.

I'm glad you mentioned Joel. He made critical saves at a critical time. The outcome might have been very different if Bournemouth had made it 3-3.

Personally, I'm not convinced that Schneiderlin is ready to start. He needs more time to get fit and to become part of the team. We lost momentum when James McCarthy went off; he's so important to the team. We lack real leadership at the back; Williams is not stepping up. Barkley, on the other hand, is gaining back his confidence and it shows.

The substitutions were brilliant. Davies added his usual grit and flair to the midfield, Mirallas created havoc when he replaced a tiring Lookman, and Holgate came in to shore up the back, 2 more goals actually came out of the counter.

Not a good day for our CB's, but Robles has seized the stopper job with both hands, another stellar performance.

The substitutions were brilliant. Davies added his usual grit and flair to the midfield, Mirallas created havoc when he replaced a tiring Lookman, and Holgate came in to shore up the back, 2 more goals actually came out of the counter.

Not a good day for our CB's, but Robles has seized the stopper job with both hands, another stellar performance.

Actually, i thought Mirallas was quite poor.

9/10 passes 2/2 successful dribbles 2/2 duel won and 1/1 SOT. Not a bad 19 mins. I just thought he reapplied pressure down the left side that had waned, and help stretch the defense again.

Without being anything special, he put pressure on them and gave them something to think about at a time when we were struggling.

Gave the other players a lift.

First half we were imperious, we played great football, fast probing passes, snapping into tackles and looking calm.

Second half we just sat back. I think we should have replaced Barry for Davies after about 50 minutes. Changing to 3 at the back made the world of difference and we looked allot more solid.

Rom was a beast, Lookman looks like a young Henry he just needs more games at this level. Morgan and McCarthy looked composed in midfield and Ross played one of his best games for us with assists, his pressing and tackling and a well deserved goal.

I hope Koeman has a word with Williams and Mori as they both panicked for about 20 mintes after half time.

Howe sent his troops out second half to move the ball much quicker, and to press the space behind/in between Mori-Baines & Holgate/Coleman, with them probing for width quickly and us not upping the tempo to cut them off they grew into the game and got paid off.

We have options on the bench to change the game though now, like different setups as sides cant plan to autosetup against us, that fluidity takes oppositions out of their stride instead of vice versa, and the options on the bench, we can change the game, our nature of play,. fresh legs, tenacity in bucket loads, cover yellow cards (expected Schneiderlin subbed tbh) its no coincidence we finished strongly, we had more legs and they tired as the game stretched.

We'll grind a lot of sides down and do our scoring in the final quarter hour. Loving Lookman, seems like hes been here an eternity.

I wonder how we'd be doing with Bolasie as an option to mix it in games.

Options, fresh legs, varied play, total-football? total-management!

Howe sent his troops out second half to move the ball much quicker, and to press the space behind/in between Mori-Baines & Holgate/Coleman, with them probing for width quickly and us not upping the tempo to cut them off they grew into the game and got paid off.

Holgate wasn't on the field when Bournemouth were dominating. He was part of the fix.

I think Lookman is the way forward in that position, he had just tired. He could form a deadly partnership with Lukaku.

Barkley-Lookman-Lukaku and Davies all seem to enjoy playing with each other.

Yeah I agree. Think Davies links up well with Barkley in particular.

Of course, he would've been whatever the line up was though :lol:.

Why you missing the game today Pad?

We can't keep blaming him every time we get beat though mate.

Dads had a stroke unfortunately mate. Family comes before Everton. Up and down the hospital and trying to juggle 2 kids and a job, we're supposed to be flying to Rome for 4 days Tuesday as well so looks like that's out the window as well.

On an Everton point, what a fucking game to miss eh :lol: