IGNORED

Who gets relegated this year?

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/08/2017 at 12:02, Bailey said:

I thought all of the promoted sides did well last weekend. It will be interesting to see how they get on.

I would love to see Newcastle go down, Crystal Palace don't look the greatest and haven't bought well. Plus both of these have had AllarDyce before and he won't go back!

This post caused The Great Curse of 2017-2018. Who knew???

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, aaron said:

Cardiff, Watford and Huddersfield for me, although I can see Burnley being down there too if they progress in Europe. Bournemouth, Newcastle and Brighton will struggle too.

it's funny, i feel in past years there were 1 or 2 dead cert to go down and then maybe 2-3 others that battle for the last spot.  Now it seems the whole bottom 10 is battling relegation.

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

it's funny, i feel in past years there were 1 or 2 dead cert to go down and then maybe 2-3 others that battle for the last spot.  Now it seems the whole bottom 10 is battling relegation.

I think that the Premier League stumbling into all the tv riches has done this. Since 70-80%+ of all the bottom half clubs revenue is going to come from tv, it doesn't really matter if you're a tiny club with a 15k seat stadium or a slightly bigger club. 

It's basically ensured there aren't any Derby County's but also made it much harder to finish 10th on 50 points, well above the drop and better than the relegation fodder but way worse than the top 6.

1 hour ago, Quinn31 said:

I think that the Premier League stumbling into all the tv riches has done this. Since 70-80%+ of all the bottom half clubs revenue is going to come from tv, it doesn't really matter if you're a tiny club with a 15k seat stadium or a slightly bigger club. 

It's basically ensured there aren't any Derby County's but also made it much harder to finish 10th on 50 points, well above the drop and better than the relegation fodder but way worse than the top 6.

agreed, another factor is since so many battle relegation now the bottom 10 feel they don't have to splash the cash like they used to because their odds of survival are better with more teams battling it out.  this also makes the gulf between top half and bottom even larger sadly.

21 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

agreed, another factor is since so many battle relegation now the bottom 10 feel they don't have to splash the cash like they used to because their odds of survival are better with more teams battling it out.  this also makes the gulf between top half and bottom even larger sadly.

I disagree - I think a lot of the bottom have are splashing a cash in a way that not all of them were able to 10 years ago - but this is going to be a chicken and egg argument pretty quickly 😂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 10/08/2018 at 13:36, markjazzbassist said:

one of my favorite threads/mini games to play, who is gonna get relegated this year.  the window is closed.  make your predictions now, and well circle back after the winter window to do more.

In no particular order

Cardiff

Watford

Newcastle

Looks like I may have gotten 1 right.  Cardiff very close right now. Newcastle were in the fight all year but are safe.  Watford I was dead wrong on.  

A lot lot of people in this thread got 2 of 3 (no one guessed Fulham) and some had Brighton who are 17th.  Great guesses here!

Of the newly promoted sides currently looking like Norwich (another German manager in the klopp mood) Sheffield (know nothing about them) and 1 of 4 in that playoff.  None of them strike me as having the staying power of a Wolves side.  They were dominant and had quality.  Norwich seems like Huddersfield 2.0.  A lot of heart and team effort and that German geggenpressing.