IGNORED

Were we right to sack Koeman?

wolf8312

8 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Yes, the board did the right thing. The big mistake they made was recruiting a manager who didn't appear to be that keen to manage Everton. He reluctantly accepted the role in return for a huge pay packet, not because he believed in the club.

I dunno Steve.

I'm pretty sure he didn't reluctantly take it. He wanted it. He believed in the project. And he knew it was the next stepping stone for him. And that was the problem - He was to open about his next move before he had done any hard miles for Everton. He needs to learn that reputation can only carry you so far. Scoring a great goal in '92 (whenever it was) doesn't gift you success for life.

If he can get his tongue out if his own arse, he might do well. If not, he'll never be more than another football manager.

Dreadful quality of football. 

Obvious tactical mistakes which were being made game after game

Huge expenditure which left us with a badly imbalanced squad. 

Complete inability to integrate new signings and get them up to speed. 

Zero confidence in the squad

Worst performance by an English team in the group stages of the Europa League. 

In the relegation zone. 

Need I go on? 

19 hours ago, wolf8312 said:

I cant help but feeling that we utterly panicked!

Is it not possible we were just on a very bad losing streak, with an unsettled squad, with new players coming in, and a very difficult cluster of fixtures, combined with the heavy burden of European football?

But we never even waited to find out, and see what happened after we got out of Europe, the squad settled down, and most importantly when we extracted ourselves from that awful, and confidence shattering losing streak we were on.

The strange thing is fans now seem fully capable of lowering their expectations (all the way down to casting us as relegation fodder) but only now that Koeman is gone, and would never have allowed Koeman's Everton similarly rock bottom expectations! The new manager will perhaps at least enjoy the opportunity of managing a club for which there is a convenient scapegoat to blame for having destroyed what he himself, is just trying to put back together again!  Had Koeman enjoyed the expectation of simply staying in the PL, then I think he'd have been in for a very successful season!

We will never know now, but it seems to me that we fired Koeman without any idea whatsoever of with whom to replace him, and bizarrely now seem to be running through a list of candidates who seem either less experienced, or just plain inferior to the man we already had! 

I believe as long as we dont look like going down, we could give Unsworth a chance until we are able to be sure of a decent replacement, but I find it incredible that we should be in this position so soon into the season. Surely the fans cant have had this situation in mind when they called for Koemans dismissal?

I think people need to support the signings Koeman made as there's every chance they will come good in the end, when things settle down, and confidence is hopefully restored.

For godsake though, lets stop panicking!

It's a good post, deserves more than my flippant previous reply. I agree, there's no need to panic - now.

Most of the points I would've made have already been covered, but the biggest one is the "never got us" thing. I didn't want him when he came in, I tried to be patient and supportive as much as my conscious would allow, even thought I was being won over towards the season. But, the thing that always stuck in my head is that he almost never referred to the club or squad as "us" or "we". He approached it as a businessman approaching a new role - I've got a task, lets get on with it. That might be ok for some clubs, but not for us. We require and demand more; believe in the club, not simply run it. If you don't believe in the club, it means you don't believe in the team, and no amount of words saying the opposite will cover up the mess that the squad had become. Did he buy into the project? Maybe, but he also had an air of "meh" about him. Never got invested in things, and was never convincing.

Regarding the transfers / expenditure; I don't know who did what between him, Walsh and the board, but all of them are accountable for being stupid with the mass, un-organised change of players and the 2 crucial positions not filled. I wouldn't put that down as a reason to sack him, but his failure to then organise the talent he has available (and there's a lot there, even if they're not performing as they should), showed he wasn't up for the job.

The reason I think it was the right call in the end, was to stop the rot. Even in pre-season / qualifiers, it looked like we were in trouble and the tough fixture list was a convenient excuse to cover up the shitshow that was being served up game after game. "Waiting to see how things went after we were out of Europe" is absolutely not the right mindset, we should've qualified considering the opposition, or at the absolute least done a lot better than we did. He wasn't capable, he didn't derserve the job, and I'd argue between him and this summers recruitment, there's more damage done than in the last 18 months of Martinez's season.

Bringing players that just didn't fit the way he wanted to play highlighted his ineptitude and it had a domino effect as we know 

He had decent foundations on which to build and he brought in a timber frame and plastic cladding rather than bricks and mortar... Haf rubs off on you eventually 😂

He had to go 

As I think about his transfer policy, I can smell a whiff of Trump Syndrome. Many of the things Donald Trump does and says are driven by an obsession to undo everything his predecessor achieved. Likewise, I've had the feeling more than once that Koeman moved players out and picked on others simply because they were Martinez' players. Maybe it's an unfair assessment, but it certainly looked like it at times.

3 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

As I think about his transfer policy, I can smell a whiff of Trump Syndrome. Many of the things Donald Trump does and says are driven by an obsession to undo everything his predecessor achieved. Likewise, I've had the feeling more than once that Koeman moved players out and picked on others simply because they were Martinez' players. Maybe it's an unfair assessment, but it certainly looked like it at times.

No just Koeman, a lot of fans too in my opinion

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Why would we have sacked him in the summer??!

11 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

But there was nothing substantial to sack him for?

We were right to sack him. That can't be disputed. But the way we have gone about it since has become more amateurish as time has gone on.

I wasnt saying we had reason to, just commenting that we wouldnt be where we are now if he was.

Would you not agree?

I wasnt saying we had reason to, just commenting that we wouldnt be where we are now if he was.
Would you not agree?

I suppose that depends who you think is responsible for the recruitment

I said before Koeman was sacked that I didn’t believe any manager could get us out of this mess without a CF and I still believe that

Since he has gone things have gotten a lot worse that’s for sure

3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I suppose that depends who you think is responsible for the recruitment

I said before Koeman was sacked that I didn’t believe any manager could get us out of this mess without a CF and I still believe that

Since he has gone things have gotten a lot worse that’s for sure

Even without a top CF you can play much better in midfield and defence.

Both of those areas were shite under Koeman and they are no better now under Unsy. Todays level of performance were the same as the last throwings under Koeman.

I find it incredible that the club weren't planning ahead. They could have sacked Koeman at least 2 or 3 weeks sooner than they did, so that should have been enough time for a full list of managers to be drawn up. Unsy shouldnt be in the position he is now in, 5 weeks later, with still no clue about what is going on. Its disgraceful.

4 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

What do you expect, testimonials from the players?

To my knowledge not a single player has even intimated any issues.

Players aren't as daft as fans so they know for a fact its not all the managers fault. If they are daft enough to think they aren't massively to blame then that's probably why we're still a pile of shite.

2 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

They aren't going to admit that they're shite live to the public. I have seen enough from the body language from the players to suggest that Koeman did not have the answers and that they were unhappy. He was the exact opposite of Martinez but the same in many ways.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating, there has been no positive reaction since the change. We are demonstrably worse.