IGNORED

Top 5 albums, films, books and box sets

Hafnia

13 hours ago, MikeO said:

Similar. Those of us of an age will recall the days when albums were released on vinyl and cassette, I was the cassette equivalent of the vinyl cutting engineer. What I had to do was take a studio quality recording with huge dynamic range and frequency variation and make a recording optimised for Joe Public's Amstrad, because just doing a straight copy would mean the quiet bits would disappear into the ubiquitous hiss and the loud bits would distort to shit; I did it for a lot of years and (though I say it myself) I was damn good at it. Most of our competitors used electronic help but I always worked by ear.

I didn't know there was a separate one for cassettes! The compression they put on CDs is pretty ridiculous - can imagine it would have been even greater for you guys. Our records were all mastered at the Townhouse on Goldhawk Road, if you know that? Not sure if it's still going.  The sonic maximisers they used in those days made everything sound better. The very first time we went, our engineer, getting carried away telling us an anecdote about Freddy Mercury (who had been in the week before)  dropped the acetate and had to start again! Not a happy man.  

9 minutes ago, Formby said:

I didn't know there was a separate one for cassettes! The compression they put on CDs is pretty ridiculous - can imagine it would have been even greater for you guys. Our records were all mastered at the Townhouse on Goldhawk Road, if you know that? Not sure if it's still going.  The sonic maximisers they used in those days made everything sound better. The very first time we went, our engineer, getting carried away telling us an anecdote about Freddy Mercury (who had been in the week before)  dropped the acetate and had to start again! Not a happy man.  

Did have occasional dealings with Townhouse, just googling them it seems they closed in 2008 sadly; you were in a band (obviously)? I rarely got to meet the artists, it was normally the producer if anyone; the regular people we worked for (eg Factory, 4AD, Mute, Stock/Aitkin/Waterman (spit), the BBC among many) came (in their wisdom) to trust me to do it alone unless it was a particularly difficult job, BBC classical stuff springs to mind. Factory was a coup for us because their quality demands were extremely high and they approached us originally to ask if we did "real time" recording rather than high speed, we did but not on the scale they were asking for so we said let us show you what we can do at high speed. Alan Erasmus came down and we signed a deal the same day:).

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Did have occasional dealings with Townhouse, just googling them it seems they closed in 2008 sadly; you were in a band (obviously)? I rarely got to meet the artists, it was normally the producer if anyone; the regular people we worked for (eg Factory, 4AD, Mute, Stock/Aitkin/Waterman (spit), the BBC among many) came (in their wisdom) to trust me to do it alone unless it was a particularly difficult job, BBC classical stuff springs to mind. Factory was a coup for us because their quality demands were extremely high and they approached us originally to ask if we did "real time" recording rather than high speed, we did but not on the scale they were asking for so we said let us show you what we can do at high speed. Alan Erasmus came down and we signed a deal the same day:).

Yes, I never understood why most bands never bothered with the engineering / cutting / remixing etc. We were up all hours with the engineers, who are really the unsung heroes behind a good production, as you know. Knew many producers who would swan in after dinner in the evening, twirl a few knobs and push a few faders, then piss off back to the restaurant. The engineers always re-twirled the knobs and pushed the faders back and the producer was none the wiser! 😃 Re: Factory - I think that's the way they worked. Very off the cuff! 

Yes, was in a band through the 90s and beyond - started very small but eventually signed to ZTT / Warners. Strange days, looking back!

This is tough, but I'll try to do albums:

1. New Radicals -- Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too

2. Between the Buried and Me --  Colors

3. Coheed & Cambria -- Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness

4. CHON -- Grow

5. Jimmy Eat World -- Clarity

Honorable Mentions: Prince -- Sign O' the Times; Rooftops -- A Forest of Polarity; Tool -- Lateralus; Metallica -- Ride the Lightning

3 hours ago, sibdane said:

This is tough, but I'll try to do albums:

1. New Radicals -- Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too

2. Between the Buried and Me --  Colors

3. Coheed & Cambria -- Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness

4. CHON -- Grow

5. Jimmy Eat World -- Clarity

Honorable Mentions: Prince -- Sign O' the Times; Rooftops -- A Forest of Polarity; Tool -- Lateralus

I loved that album by New Radicals. The title track is fantastic 

On 09/09/2018 at 20:02, MikeO said:

The Stone Roses I heard pre-release, master tapes came into my studio one day for me to do my thing with same as any number did every week; had no inkling about who they were but it was one of those things that totally blew me away from the first listen. Sound proof room and I turned the wick up to eleven, great piece of work though it presented me some challenges, particularly the very quiet opening; but I loved a challenge, happy memories. Played it to my lad in the car not long ago and he's now a huge fan.

Also Sound Affects was The Jam's finest hour.

Great story 👍🏼

I was too young to really enjoy The Stone Roses in their ‘pomp’ so was delighted that I finally got to see them in 2012 in Heaton Park - it was great!!! Used to follow The Complete Stone Roses around a lot - Manchester, Leeds, etc... always a great gig!

Weller/The Jam are just ace!

23 hours ago, hafnia said:

Moseley Shoals.... if no one has heard it all the way through it's a treat.  Managed to watch Ocean Colour Scene live at Liverpool mount pleasant.... Best live band I've seen. Pure.... like listening to a studio quality live act.  Can't describe it. 

First band I ever went to see live in the mid nineties - Paul Weller even came on to play the piano... not a bad start!

Here's my choices

Albums

1 East Side Story - Squeeze

2 Wasp Star - XTC

3 Imperial Bedroom Elvis Costello

4 One Nil - Neil Finn

5 The Undertone - The Undertones

Films

1 The Graduate

2 Pulp Fiction

3 shawshank redemtion

4 Usual suspects

5 American beauty

Books

1 Godchildren Nicholas Colerdige

2 The Horse Whisperer Nicholas Evans

3 What is Love David Baddiel

4 Dead Heart Douglas Kennedy

5 A postillion struck by lightening  Dirk Bogarde autobiography 1st 

Dont do box sets

35 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Here's my choices

Albums

1 East Side Story - Squeeze

2 Wasp Star - XTC

3 Imperial Bedroom Elvis Costello

4 One Nil - Neil Finn

5 The Undertone - The Undertones

Films

1 The Graduate

2 Pulp Fiction

3 shawshank redemtion

4 Usual suspects

5 American beauty

Books

1 Godchildren Nicholas Colerdige

2 The Horse Whisperer Nicholas Evans

3 What is Love David Baddiel

4 Dead Heart Douglas Kennedy

5 A postillion struck by lightening  Dirk Bogarde autobiography 1st 

Dont do box sets

Some really good artists in your albums choices Wiggytop brings back good memories.

10 hours ago, Palfy said:

Some really good artists in your albums choices Wiggytop brings back good memories.

Ta, it was difficult to do, I love my music, listen to 6 Music or my IPod during the working day, I had  so many albums to choose from, on reflection it wasthe groups I've liked since my late teens and still do. Also lucky be to gong to see both  Glenn Tilbrook (Squeeze) and Neil Finn in Liverpool in the next few months.

7 hours ago, metalman said:

albums

1- The stone roses - the stone roses

2- The stone roses - the stone roses

3- The stone roses - the stone roses

4- The stone roses - the stone roses

5- The stone roses - the stone roses

Haha.... I had it on this morning.... It's a great album it really is. 

Albums

Jeff Buckley - grace

Rolling Stones - exile on Main Street

bob Dylan - desire 

ice cube - predator

The clash - The clash 

Films 

One flew over the cuckoos nest

the usual suspects 

goodfellas 

godfather 2 

the bourne trilogy

will change tommorow.

im not a book fan

Box sets

the wire

the sopranos 

true detective first series

cheers 

peaky blinders 

On 13/09/2018 at 23:54, Finn balor said:

Albums

Jeff Buckley - grace

Rolling Stones - exile on Main Street

bob Dylan - desire 

ice cube - predator

The clash - The clash 

Films 

One flew over the cuckoos nest

the usual suspects 

goodfellas 

godfather 2 

the bourne trilogy

will change tommorow.

im not a book fan

Box sets

the wire

the sopranos 

true detective first series

cheers 

peaky blinders 

That first series of True Detective was great. A 3rd season is being made now and its more based upon the original than the garbage 2nd series.

On 09/09/2018 at 20:02, MikeO said:

The Stone Roses I heard pre-release, master tapes came into my studio one day for me to do my thing with same as any number did every week; had no inkling about who they were but it was one of those things that totally blew me away from the first listen. Sound proof room and I turned the wick up to eleven, great piece of work though it presented me some challenges, particularly the very quiet opening; but I loved a challenge, happy memories. Played it to my lad in the car not long ago and he's now a huge fan.

Also Sound Affects was The Jam's finest hour.

Love these stories Mike. Blessed with what you have heard in your career.