IGNORED

January Plans

Romey 1878

39 minutes ago, Matt said:

Why? What is there to accomplish this season in the league? FA Cup aside, there's nothing to play for, so why not prepare for next season?

Ask the match goers who have forked out loads if they are willing to "write the season off" coz I'm certainly not. I want to finish as high up the league as possible. Your out look of next season is small time if you think there is nothing to play for now. We can still finish in a European spot cant we? aim for that. Will a player in the summer want to join someone who finished in the bottom half? Doubt it. Problem is too many people have this sort of thought of "write it off" and its showing at the game now, no atmosphere, people turning on the players / staff coz they are "writing them off". How do you prepare for next season whilst giving up now? Again, terrible shout and is proper mediocre thinking. Support your club and will them on all the time and not give up the here and now.

3 minutes ago, aaron said:

Ask the match goers who have forked out loads if they are willing to "write the season off" coz I'm certainly not. I want to finish as high up the league as possible. Your out look of next season is small time if you think there is nothing to play for now. We can still finish in a European spot cant we? aim for that. Will a player in the summer want to join someone who finished in the bottom half? Doubt it. Problem is too many people have this sort of thought of "write it off" and its showing at the game now, no atmosphere, people turning on the players / staff coz they are "writing them off". How do you prepare for next season whilst giving up now? Again, terrible shout and is proper mediocre thinking. Support your club and will them on all the time and not give up the here and now.

I didn't say "write off", or give up, so no idea what you're going on about. I said accept this season for what it is and prepare for next. To prepare for the next, you give the young players a chance to prove themselves. If they can't do it, we know where to invest. If they do do it, they've got confidence for next season and we save money. That's just common sense for me, and nothing to do with my support.

I want us to win every game, I want us to finish as high up as we can. If 7th is a Euro spot, then awesome! I just don't see it happening (1 win in 8).  7th is likely the max with 6th already 11 points ahead and United are gathering momentum. I'm just being realistic, 

This season was about undoing the damage of the previous 3 years and looking to the future - how is acknowledging that small time or mediocre? 

20 hours ago, Matt said:

This is a project. Projects take time and anyone having to suffer change short term can just suffer it if it means a better long term solution. The fans need to deal with that else accept the last 3 years as the norm. As for the players, they know how the game works. 

I don't generally disagree with your overall point but we are talking about DCL who played the majority of games last season and without calculating, I would guess the majority of games this season. He ha played 36 senior games before he got here and he has played 25 times for England.  This isn'tt a guy fresh out of the academy who is wet behind the ears. He has almost played 100 senior games. If we plan another project around DCL it isnt going to get very far.

21 hours ago, aaron said:

I'd say all the negativity is more to do with people watching a team in transition and expecting more than was ever really likely this season. We all hate losing, we all get frustrated watching us play shit, but the honest truth is we haven't got the players, squad or system of playing to be doing much better. We've been treading water on the pitch for five years, big changes have happened behind the scenes and mistakes have been made. We shouldn't sit back and accept one win in eight but there has to be some patience, let's talk about our prospects for Europe next January hey. 

15 hours ago, Bailey said:

I don't generally disagree with your overall point but we are talking about DCL who played the majority of games last season and without calculating, I would guess the majority of games this season. He ha played 36 senior games before he got here and he has played 25 times for England.  This isn'ttt a guy fresh out of the academy who is wet behind the ears. He has almost played 100 senior games. If we plan another project around DCL it isnt going to get very far.

I’ve not said plan a project around him though. I’ve said use the rest of the season to help us identify if we have what we need. That means seeing if our promising youngsters like DCL, Lookman, Kenny, Davies etc are actually up for it, will be good squad filler or need to be sold (their value potentially increasing by playing and putting them in the shop window)

100 senior apps? I’d imagine 80 of them are from the bench and/or playing on the wing. 

7 hours ago, Matt said:

I’ve not said plan a project around him though. I’ve said use the rest of the season to help us identify if we have what we need. That means seeing if our promising youngsters like DCL, Lookman, Kenny, Davies etc are actually up for it, will be good squad filler or need to be sold (their value potentially increasing by playing and putting them in the shop window)

100 senior apps? I’d imagine 80 of them are from the bench and/or playing on the wing. 

Lookman I agree is worth more time because we know he delivered in Germany and he looked lively this season.

Kenny had a big run last year but that was only his first year in the first team and it will be worth seeing if he improves this season. Jury is out at the moment.

Davies is in the DCL camp for me.

As an FYI, DCL has played just over 6000 minutes so that almost 65 x 90 minutes in the leagues and cups. He has started more games than I thought!

13 hours ago, StevO said:

Don’t know why anyone would want to sell him. Even if we bought another winger, there is no guarantee they would play better. Lookman hasn’t done anything of note when he’s played to prove he should be starting. Maybe he needs more opportunities to play, but nothing to justify selling his competition. 

Im not Walcott's biggest fan but now isnt the time to be unnecessarily disrupting the squad.

There will be plenty of teams who will still want Walcott in the summer if Lookman can come through and prove his worth.

46 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I just think this season will end up a bit of a damp squib so make the changes as early as we can and get ready for next season. Get vlasic and Henry in the squad and we have options 

There is a 50/50 chance they could be shit. We have enough players who need to be sold much sooner than Theo. 

27 minutes ago, nogs said:

I don't think wages is the issue. 

There's been plenty of talk that Brands wants it much lower, it's around 80% of our turnover which is huge 

Far from being the worst in the league though but it goes hand in hand with having surplus players so hopefully we ship most of them out in the summer 

We are have a potential wage bill of over 500K a week on players who are on loan or here and will never be first choice members of the first team squad if an alternative is available, Bolassie, Coco, McCarthy, Morgan, Sandro, Mirallas, Niasse, Besic, Cenk.

I know some are on loan, but like bad pennies and hot currys they will come back which mean we will have to pay them until we can offload them.

I absolutely agree with Moshiri that we need to get rid of them before we bring new players in, its financial madness to do otherwise.

4 hours ago, nogs said:

I don't think wages is the issue. 

Wages is a massive issue. £250k is going on Sandro and Schneiderlin every week. In reality, we’re probably wasting the best part of £1m every week on players who simply don’t contribute. Fees for players isn’t the issue, it’s the wages we need to sort out.

https://www.toffeeweb.com/season/18-19/comment/editorial/37549.html

Wages are operating costs, transfers are capital. The point is that Moshiri has invested £250m into the club and now, whether because of the stadium or because he simply thinks he has spent enough, appears to be turning the tap off. Yes we can reduce the wage bill (and should do) but that still doesn't mean there will be cash to make signings because the club makes a loss. Its all dependent on Moshiri, if he wants to invest more, we will have money to make signings, if he wants to tighten the purse strings, we will have to sell to buy. 

6 minutes ago, nogs said:

https://www.toffeeweb.com/season/18-19/comment/editorial/37549.html

Wages are operating costs, transfers are capital. The point is that Moshiri has invested £250m into the club and now, whether because of the stadium or because he simply thinks he has spent enough, appears to be turning the tap off. Yes we can reduce the wage bill (and should do) but that still doesn't mean there will be cash to make signings because the club makes a loss. Its all dependent on Moshiri, if he wants to invest more, we will have money to make signings, if he wants to tighten the purse strings, we will have to sell to buy. 

Thank you! That’s exactly what I was trying to get at but couldn’t find the right words :) 

It doesn't matter what term the cost comes under its still a cost to the club, fee's and wages go hand in hand and most certainly will be part of the reason why we won't be splashing money around  

If my missus said can we get a third car and I have the capital to buy it but she doesn't for the running costs it's illogical to go out and buy it and it's definitely something anyone with any common sense would take into account before doing so 

6 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

It doesn't matter what term the cost comes under its still a cost to the club, fee's and wages go hand in hand and most certainly will be part of the reason why we won't be splashing money around  

If my missus said can we get a third car and I have the capital to buy it but she doesn't for the running costs it's illogical to go out and buy it and it's definitely something anyone with any common sense would take into account before doing so 

But having the money to spend on tax and fuel is pointless if you don't have several grand up front to buy the car in the first place. 

Just now, nogs said:

But having the money to spend on tax and fuel is pointless if you don't have several grand up front to buy the car in the first place. 

Your agreeing with my point to a larger degree... so yeah I agree

I said the above because you said Moshiri has the money but won't spend for one reason or another hence my post 

It's been said multiple times wages are an issue so I'm not sure why it's even up for debate when we are spunking millions per month on surplus players wages 

2 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

Your agreeing with my point to a larger degree... so yeah I agree

I said the above because you said Moshiri has the money but won't spend for one reason or another hence my post 

It's been said multiple times wages are an issue so I'm not sure why it's even up for debate when we are spunking millions per month on surplus players wages 

I’m not debating that we need to cut the wages down, was just pointing out that they’re handled differently and that reducing wages doesn’t necessarily free up transfer funds.  It frees up wages for any new signings for sure though